Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my pigeons are suffering from coccidossis outbreak. Someone suggested to give mercurius cor 200. Does anyone know the dose. I have given amprolium to the chicks and parents.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Amprolium usually works well. Did you give it for the right amount of time? What you are asking about is not for Cocci.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mericurius cor 200

Yes am giving amprolium 1g/1ltr water to o chicks and parents. It works. But since my pigeons are in colony the droppings are cleaned by one spade. The parents at times jump into other boxes. I am actually looking for a vaccine so someone told to give mercurius cor 200.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
There is no vaccine for cocci.
They shouldn't be treated unless they actually have it. The chicks should be allowed to build up a natural resistance to cocci. Which they cannot do if treated unnecessarily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mericurius cor 200

For past 2-3 yes have been having same problem. Chicks legs begin to stretch and do loose droppings. The parents also do loose droppings. I almost gave up hope of breeding again till I did lab test and found chicks are suffering from cocci. Vet gave amprocox but it didn't work than he said to not do anymore breeding and fumigate the loft. After fumigation two months later I began pigeon breeding. Now when chicks showed same signs I gave amprocox to both chicks and parents. Chicks are fine but loose droppings is still not solved.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Maybe there is more to it than cocci.
Not sure what you mean by chicks legs begin to stretch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mericurius cor 200

when the chick tries to walk it has to use its wings and the legs begin to come out from the side. The legs become weak. They start slipping and do loose droppings. The parents also begin loose droppings. I don't know what to give to stop the loose droppings.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Have you given them probiotics? And a bit of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water might help. Don't know if you have that there. But you can get probiotics. If not, then even yogurt with the live bacteria in it would help. Put some in their beak and let them swallow. Do that for several days.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Have you given them calcium and D3? That may help to strengthen the legs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mericurius cor 200

Yes I give apple cider vinegar twice a week, citric acid twice a week and a mix of proviboost+ vancalp-c + liv 52 thrice a week in the Drinking water.
I also give calcium d3 to females during the three days of egg laying once in the evening. So this should not be the reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mercurius Corrosivus 200C is a homeopathic remedy. I have used homeopathy with success although not with birds as yet. I find it very interesting that someone recommended this remedy for cocci. Do you know if their advice was based on experience? Your question was How to use? I would give it diluted in water for the birds to take a drink. As long as the bird takes a good drink - that should be a sufficient 'dose'. Observe result for improvement of symptoms. Repetition is usually not needed.

It would be interesting to try. If it does not help at least it will do no harm. Best Wishes.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes I give apple cider vinegar twice a week, citric acid twice a week and a mix of proviboost+ vancalp-c + liv 52 thrice a week in the Drinking water.
I also give calcium d3 to females during the three days of egg laying once in the evening. So this should not be the reason.
I think the ACV twice weekly is enough without the citric acid also. To be able to utilize calcium properly, just receiving it for 3 days of egg laying isn't enough. Should be getting it regularly during the month, but not every day, to be able to utilize it properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.