Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some 2014 homers and would like to use pumpers to get more young from these desired pairs. The question is how many days can the keeper eggs be ahead of the pumpers and vice versa how many days can the pumpers be ahead of the keepers? Also can I pump 3 rounds before letting the desired pairs raise their own set of babies.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I don't have homers however I have pumped before. You want the days to be close as possible. I have had problems even at 3 days apart, this will be a pair dependent deal. I had a pair of Tipplers last year that I let raise a couple rounds then I pulled directly after the second egg 3 times in a row and let them raise the forth. This resulted in 8 young born 48 days apart. They were 2012 birds. Before I got pump crazy I let them raise their own first...

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is what I do and by no means the rule....I like to try and have no more than 48 hours separating the last eggs laid between pairs, 24 hours is even better. I don't feel that 3 rounds is too many but I also let my breeders sit for 5-10 days so the hens has some time to recoup. One thing to make sure of is that your breeders have as many different types of minerals/grit/oyster....etc in front of them at all times. Laying eggs can take a lot out of a hen so making sure she has all she needs is key. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds like good advise and makes sense. I only flew for 3 years and that was 30 years ago Thanks much , I'll take all the help I can get

1 - 5 of 5 Posts