Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know how well racing homers do over mountains. I've been road training my yb's and they've been doing great but they haven't had any obstacles like mountains to go over. Would the risk of losing them be more if I started tossing them where they would have to travel over mountains?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I dont think you would raise your chances of losing birds.
Are there mountains in your race route?
if so I would toss them where they have to go over the mountains
best way to find out how they would do with mountains is to try it out
try it with SOME of your young birds and not all of them just in case they do run into some kind of trouble you wont lose all of your birds on a single toss

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont think you would raise your chances of losing birds.
Are there mountains in your race route?
if so I would toss them where they have to go over the mountains
best way to find out how they would do with mountains is to try it out
try it with SOME of your young birds and not all of them just in case they do run into some kind of trouble you wont lose all of your birds on a single toss
I'll give it a go when my road training is far enough that they have to cross the mountains to get home and that's at 50 miles + going SW heading towards LA.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fly my birds over the sierra nevadas And realy don't have many problems with loses. I'll start them on my side then go half way through the pass and then jump to the other side at the base. If you are going to race over a certain coarse pick another pass below and above the main pass you want your birds to fly. that will allow for birds getting pulled or blown off coarse and not panic. this system works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.