Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Sorry to hear about your losses. It is not normal for babies to die like that unless they are sick. When my breeder hen died suddenly within 24 hours after flying, it only took about a week before the cock found another female. It was that fast. What happened was that the female offered herself to the cock by going to the nest box. The cock was happy and he just accepted her. If you have babies I think it is better to wait until they wean and you can either force mate them (lock both inside a cage with a separation wire) or just let the cock choose.

The dad will usually continue to feed the babies.

Lock the door next time to be sure that nothing can get in accidentally.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Yeah, 1 month baby can be weaned. In fact my baby birds at that age usually fledge out and take perches. If they don't do that the mom will kick them out. At that age the baby should know how to eat and probably drink, too. My birds can eat on their own around 3 weeks old although they only get smaller seeds and not enough to satisfy them. Their parents obviously feed them the rest.

With respect to training babies,yes, their home right now is their home. If you don't have hawk problem you can start training them at 4 weeks old. First training obviously is food call. Those babies should have learned to associate food call first. Then you try trap training. Then you can allow them to go in and out freely on an exit door. If you were able to home and train those adults you have, then you are experienced. The difference is that the baby birds still can't fly strong enough to disappear. Don't keep those baby birds locked up for 4 months. In fact by 6 or 8 weeks they are already wing strong and that they can get lost if they become too adventurous or get startled and fly off.

Here is what is going on my loft right now. I have 5 weeks old baby right now that just happened to come out today. After lingering on the ground it just try to pick on grass seeds. I think I allowed that baby bird to stay outside for 15 minutes. Then I made a food call. Initially it doesn't know what to do. But it flew up and went to the loft roof, then to the trap door. It doesn't know what to do initially, but I trained that bird trap training last week at 4 weeks old. I continued making that food call and it saw the rest of the birds inside eating so it got encouraged and went inside. Success! This bird will be released again and the time for it to be outside will take longer and longer until my maximum of 2 hours. That baby bird associated food starting around 3 weeks old when they perked when I make food call. I continue food call every time I feed them. During those 4 weeks old I also introduced that bird to see the surroundings by putting that bird on the trap aviary. It was double training at 4 weeks old: trap training and surroundings training. It was food training starting at 3 weeks old. And now flying (attempted) at 5 weeks old. As you get experienced this becomes trivial.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
At 1 month old that baby should be eating by itself. What I do on mine is that I give the food in their nest boxes so that when the parents are eating, they are imitating and learning. Sooner or later they will try to pick on seeds as early as 3 weeks old. By the end of 4 weeks they should be eating like a pro. The cock will continue feeding them down below maybe until 5-6th weeks. Just make sure their crop is full before sunset.

Maybe you can also try feeding the parents down below as well. That way they will learn from them if they haven't learn so.

That wet floor is probably the cause of your baby dying. It probably got salmonella (bacteria). Keep the loft dry always. Damp and wet is perfect for bacteria to multiply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.