Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem to add another hen now.
If you are worried about the squab getting picked on or abadoned, you could wait until it 3 1/2 weeks old, when you can transfer it to your young bird loft for flight training.
Keith

·
Registered
857 Posts
If the baby is still in the nest, I would put it down on the floor with access to the feed and water.
It is plenty old enough to feed itself.
A lot of young birds are lazy and don't want to eat on their own.
The father will probably still feed it on the floor and it will be more motivated to eat on it's own.
Some people keep the homers they fly and their breeders seperate, especially if the breeders are not trained to fly to the loft (prisoners)
Your pigeons will produce better if you remove the young birds after they have weaned, but it is not necessary.
Keith

·
Registered
857 Posts
If the floor is dirt and wet, I suggest putting down several inches of sand to raise it up and keep it dry.
Sand is cheap, drains well, provides some grit and can be used in the garden once it is soiled. It's great for growing asparagus.
The coarser concrete sand works better than the fine play sand.
I keep sand in my flights and by pigeons like to lay on it and stretch out like they are sunbathing at the beach after they take a bath in the water bowls..
Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.