Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Start with the best cock you can get and mate him to different hens that are as good as you can get of simular likeness. Breed half brothers to half sisters and then their children back to the original cock. Be selective in choosing the children to mate, your goal is to improve the family as you breed not to breed for numbers. Jim

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Start with the best cock you can get and mate him to different hens that are as good as you can get of simular likeness. Breed half brothers to half sisters and then their children back to the original cock. Be selective in choosing the children to mate, your goal is to improve the family as you breed not to breed for numbers. Jim
Thats a ver nice explanation, thanks :)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Let's see what interesting points everyone has to offer on this subject.
I would like to first of all share a couple of links with you :

http://www.stevenvanbreemen.nl/?Mini_Course_The_Art_of_Breeding

http://www.silvio-co.com/pigeons/breeding.htm

In order to build a family, you must first have in your possession a pigeon which is worth the time and effort to build a family around. I really like the points which Silvio makes in the article I shared in the link above. A Champion is really a very rare commodity....there really are so few "good" pigeons out there. And when by some good stroke of good fortune or luck, one actually ends up with one in their possession....#1 it is questionable if the fancier even will recognize the fact....and #2 Even if he should figure it out, he often will not know what to do about it

What does Silvio say in the above article ?

Rule 7: Truly prepotent sires or dams are the rarest of the rare!
They are to be cherished, and unlike diamonds, they will not last forever. Use them wisely! To find one is truly like panning for gold. You go through tons and tons of rock and dirt to find only a grain-a nugget-of real gold. That is why it has value, because it is rare! Yet once found they are never appreciated nor properly used. This is because people ignorantly believe, "Oh, well, I'll find or breed another." Well, good luck because the reality is you rarely will.

Perhaps you know of someone in your Combine who came into possesion of such a bird, and for a period of time, perhaps quite a few years, they were darn near unbeatable, and then they let that very special bird get out of their hands. And then....they became your average typical fancier.

First of all, don't assume that this pre-potent pigeon will be a male...it could be a female. There are obvious advantages if it were to be a male, but don't overlook that very real possibility that your Ace pre-potent super breeder will be a female.

This my friends, is the time to pull the In-Breeding tool out of your tool box !! This is not the time for half way measures. By strict definition, anything other then Father/Mother x Daughter/Son or Brother x Sister is Line Breeding.

So, IMHO, once you discover that pre-potent bird, as Jimhalekw posted, you want to mate that pigeon to any number of the best you can get your hands on. The sucessful offspring you mate to other brothers and sisters, some of my best pairings were full brother x sister, but also use 1/2 brother and sisters. The sucessful children from these pairings should be mated back to the orginal pre-potent bird, as can orginal direct children from the prepotent pigeon. So at some point, you would want some offspring where the parent, grand parents, and great grand parents were all the same bird !!

Thinking of the pedigree, the goal of an inbred line is to have the very special pre-potent pigeon show up on both sides of the pedigree and more then once. In genetics it is expressed as a co-effecient % . Once you have piled these very sucessful genes for several generations you have an inbred line which is very useful moving forwards.

Now, having said all that, especially the parts where very extreme inbreeding is involved, I don't really know how far one can really push the inbreeding envelope. The more extreme you can push it, the more breeding value they have IMHO, but very likely their actual racing ability will decline. Any genetic defects in the line will come to the surface, and it can become frustrating at this point. Your selection process along the way must be very strict or you will produce the wrong stuff twice as fast.

Get to that point, where you have a very sucessful inbred line, but performance is starting to decline, you will need to introduce other inbred families to restore the vitality !! So constantly be looking for that next pre-potent Champion to introduce into your family line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts