Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
How you control bugs in your pigeon's feedmix? I've tried many ways but they just come back I don't know from where.
Do they affect birds health if they eat bugged grains?
Can some one suggest safe way to control them?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hello. If there was a way to freeze the grains the bugs would stop moving. Their eggs might hatch later so a repeat may be necessary. Try putting garlic in one of the grains and see what happens. Also can try Diatomacious Earth from E Bay and mix it with the grains and see if it really works. I suggest to get grains that have some expiration on the bag. And keep it out of the heat and the container should not be air tight, because grains go bad then the bugs come in. I do not know if moth ball do any good for grain bugs. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I assume they are grain weevils?

I had problems with those in the past, when I once got a small bag of mixed corn for some indoor pigeons, used some of it and put the rest (just in a paper bag) somewhere and forgot about it. Only found it again, weeks later, when some of the insects came out of the corn and started invading one of my rooms!

Far as I'm concerned, if they are in the feed then I dump it and get it from another supplier. They are very resistant to heat, cold, water and some sprays.

Once I had them running around, the only thing I found to kill 'em which would not be toxic to pigeons was Pigeon Insect, Mite and Lice spray or powder (but NOT sprayed on feed!).

They live inside corn kernels and grains where they lay their eggs, from which new weevils eventually burrow out when the conditions are warm enough (they kinda hibernate in winter) so it isn't really a case of only being in grain that has gone bad.

One danger I have read of is that they can harbour tapeworm eggs.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi all,
How you control bugs in your pigeon's feedmix? I've tried many ways but they just come back I don't know from where.
Do they affect birds health if they eat bugged grains?
Can some one suggest safe way to control them?
Beautiful advice has been given.
They can harm your birds by giving them tapeworms as has been told. Along with it they eat grains,bore into them, take nutrition out of the grains and leave poop and flour behind which gives your birds candida.

Bugs can be controlled by deep freezing the feed for 4-5 days. Deep freezing will kill live insects, larvae and help killing eggs too.
Or you can oven your grains at 120•F for an hour to kill all the insects,their larvae and eggs.
The problem is that you may again find insects in your feedmix after sometime. The reason is re-infestation. When you have a source in your house or even neighbour's house where insect infested grain are stored,your feedmix will get reinfested cuz bugs travel to find new sources of grains. So prevent reinfestation by storing them in air tight containers and also spray your house for insects too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for replying ladies/gentlemen.

Hamlet- Diatomaceous earth? Is it soil? Never heard of it. If I mix it in grains then will the grains safe to feed to pigeons without washing?
How much gralic to 10 kg of feedmix. Pls tell.

John_D- when I open the cover of container,small moths start flying. I don't know their name. There are small brown insects too boring holes in grains. My pigeons don't like that feed.
Can you please tell what chemical is in the pigeon spray? I will ask my cow vet about it.

Jass SamOplay- I don't have a big freezer and don't have oven. But I will take care of re-infestation when I get rid of moths.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you are having serious problems its safe to buy feed in minimum quantities and often. If you wanna stock and can't use an oven leave the feed to dry under the sun and repeat this at least once weekly.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
John_D- when I open the cover of container,small moths start flying. I don't know their name. There are small brown insects too boring holes in grains. My pigeons don't like that feed.
Can you please tell what chemical is in the pigeon spray? I will ask my cow vet about it.
Hi Mani

This is what I used around the edges of the affected room. I use the spray also. They contain Permethrin.

http://www.johnsons-vet.com/birds_pigoens.php

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thank you so much for replying ladies/gentlemen.

Jass SamOplay- I don't have a big freezer and don't have oven. But I will take care of re-infestation when I get rid of moths.
The first step to take when you have bugs in feed is to wash it. Dip the feedmix in water for 10mins. By this most of the live insects will die and come to the surface. Drain them out and wash the feed thoroughly. Then sun dry the feed. Not big problem if you don't have oven. Take a metal tub and line it with aluminium foil to insulate it so that it don't lose heat. Now put the dried feed in it and cover the metal tub with a glass pane and put it in open sun. It will be your improvised solar cooker and will bake the feed for you killing all the remaining bugs, larvae and will help kill the eggs too. After it prevent reinfestation by putting the feed in an air tight container and as been advised spraying carbyl or permethrin dust around the container helps to stop reinfestation.

You can might wanna mix 1 kg margosa(neem) leaves to 10 kg feed which will surely help to prevent the bugs from reproducing if there's any left.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Hello. Here are more options from the web: a.bay leaves and garlic
b. ginger
c. 10 grams of neem seed powder in cloth pouch per 1 kg of grain
d.turmeric powder: 40 grams per kilo of grain mixed in

I still do not know the ratio of powder to feed for the DE. But you can try one ounce per 10 kg( 22 lbs.) and wait 10 -20 days.
Thanks Jazz for the washing method.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Put A few Bay leaves on a tin foil pie plate in feed bin . Kills bugs & moths won't hurt pigeons just don't let them eat it .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks John_D and Skeking for the links. DE sounds like a miracle product. I will try my best to get it. But it is only available in big packing , tonne or more than it.

Adding leaves and other things like hamlet advice, sounds good in meantime and they're easy to get. Thanks Ross,hamlet and Jass.
Good idea,I will wash and dry the grains first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts