Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had mine out for 2 weeks and about half of them are routing for a hour at a time. I have never seen anything like this. I am starting road training now but don't have them out very far yet.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have held off on breeding young birds because of the hawks here in Connecticut. I'll have a my first round leaving the nest in the next two weeks. I'd like get them settled quickly. This is my second year - and I lost a lot of them last year. I hope to do much better this year. I have been flying my old birds from last year - they are doing well. Our first old bird race is this week-end.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just started flying mine this week. Was wondering when you bred your team and when does your yb season start? My first round was hatched at Christmas and on the lighting system, everything after Feb. is natural light and in a seperate loft. Last year the hawks killed me in March so I decided to keep them locked in till 2nd week of April this year. Settling was easier than I thought with older birds lost 4 of 62, Mr. Hawk showed up 20 min after 2nd release.

·
Registered
414 Posts
We got about half or more of 40 YB routing pretty good....we unfortunately have our YB's with our OB race team in the same loft...we dont have a YB loft built yet...our first YB banded for 2010 is a cock and happens to mated to a hen from our OB race team.....i just shake my head...there is not much i can do about it for now...just got to ride the storm out and hope for the best :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just started flying mine this week. Was wondering when you bred your team and when does your yb season start? My first round was hatched at Christmas and on the lighting system, everything after Feb. is natural light and in a seperate loft. Last year the hawks killed me in March so I decided to keep them locked in till 2nd week of April this year. Settling was easier than I thought with older birds lost 4 of 62, Mr. Hawk showed up 20 min after 2nd release.

I breed early and banded a large round jan. 4th. Our first race is in early aug. I am using a modified Bieche system. Same as you I have seperated the third round and everything after that into a different loft on natural light. This is my first year for separating later birds and I knew they were holding the older ones back before. I just never knew how much until now.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took a big hit this week and lost a good amount of birds. The ones that were routing so good are mostly gone. Last year I had my yb's get cought up with some OB trainers from the next club away from ours. Got some calls and got some back but nothing like I lost. Well I think it happened again. I even lost a ob that I had gave away 2 times, once to a guy in New york (I am in the NW corner of Ohio) one year and to anouther guy last year and both times he got out of the loft and came back. He was with the yb's when they got lost. He has not returned. :(

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hows your yb's flying?
With their wings, my friend. I wish I could be so lucky for they fly like they love it.

Tony

PS my thoughts and prayers that yours find home.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think with the lighting system it's better to lock the birds down after they drop the 5th flight. Last year I had the same bad luck, lost 28 of 52 on a ten mile toss. I've already locked mine up until 6-7 weeks before the races, hope this helps this year. Might not perform good the first couple of weeks but hope to finish in the prizes from 200 -300 mile stations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts