Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a bill working its way through congress that would outlaw all "non-native species of animals.

This outrageous piece of legislation would outlaw the interstate shipping or moving or importation of "exotic" and non-native species not on an "exempt list".

Non-mative species of animals include: Dogs, cats, pigeons, parrots, chickens, several breeds of ducks and geese, monkeys, apes, cattle, horses, donkeys, llamas, etc. In fact, nearly all domestic animals found in North America!

I have tried to warn all of you on this forum about certain groups advocating "animal rights" activist groups, but have not been allowed to do so. This is MY LAST TRY!

For details and information,You can see PIJAC's earlier alert on HR 669 here:
<http://www.pijac. org/files/ public/US_ HR_669.pdf>

You can see the full text of the bill here: <http://frwebgate. access.gpo. gov/cgi-bin/ getdoc.cgi? dbname=111_ cong_bills& docid=f:h669ih. txt.pdf>

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
There is a bill working its way through congress that would outlaw all "non-native species of animals.

This outrageous piece of legislation would outlaw the interstate shipping or moving or importation of "exotic" and non-native species not on an "exempt list".

Non-mative species of animals include: Dogs, cats, pigeons, parrots, chickens, several breeds of ducks and geese, monkeys, apes, cattle, horses, donkeys, llamas, etc. In fact, nearly all domestic animals found in North America!

I have tried to warn all of you on this forum about certain groups advocating "animal rights" activist groups, but have not been allowed to do so. This is MY LAST TRY!

For details and information,You can see PIJAC's earlier alert on HR 669 here:
<http://www.pijac. org/files/ public/US_ HR_669.pdf>

You can see the full text of the bill here: <http://frwebgate. access.gpo. gov/cgi-bin/ getdoc.cgi? dbname=111_ cong_bills& docid=f:h669ih. txt.pdf>
Next it will be our garden plants! alot of non native there.....:eek:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think domestics are not included, but the ferals need to watch out, here is what is not included.

D) does not include any cat (Felis catus), cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris), donkey or ass (Equus asinus), domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck (domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus), horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama), mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or sheep (Ovis aries), or any other species or variety of species that is determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I think domestics are not included, but the ferals need to watch out, here is what is not included.

D) does not include any cat (Felis catus), cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris), donkey or ass (Equus asinus), domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck (domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus), horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama), mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or sheep (Ovis aries), or any other species or variety of species that is determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated.
I don't see pigeons on that exclusion list anywhere, domestic or feral.

determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated.
Would seem to be the operative phrase. There are provisions to apply for approved status (and likewise, unapproved). I can imagine (because I'm becoming a pessimist in my old age) a large and pushy segment of exterminators trying to get pigeons on the unapproved list.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Everyone who owns a pet should write letters or e-mails. This will effect us all. This bill will affect pet stores, breeders, rescues, rehabbers, sanctuaries, zoos and thats just to name a few.:mad:

We want to move the sanctuary to a warmer state, many of our animals would benefit from this move, if this bill gets passed we will not be able to move out of the state we now live in.:mad:

Please let your congressmen know you don't want this bill to pass, ask them to just vote NO.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't see pigeons on that exclusion list anywhere, domestic or feral.

Would seem to be the operative phrase. There are provisions to apply for approved status (and likewise, unapproved). I can imagine (because I'm becoming a pessimist in my old age) a large and pushy segment of exterminators trying to get pigeons on the unapproved list.

or any other species or variety of species that is determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated......... last I knew pigeon breeds are a domestic livestock......

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
or any other species or variety of species that is determined by the Secretary to be common and clearly domesticated......... last I knew pigeon breeds are a domestic livestock......
make no assumptions as to what the "secretary will determine."

that will be influenced by outside input.

I for one will lobby to protect the rights of pigeons to exist both as domestic livestock and in feral populations. probably not a bad idea for everyone to write their representatives and urge for their inclusion as an approved species. the birds that is, not the representatives ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I for one will lobby to protect the rights of pigeons to exist both as domestic livestock and in feral populations. probably not a bad idea for everyone to write their representatives and urge for their inclusion as an approved species. the birds that is, not the representatives ;)
You nailed it! Who the heck is the SECRETARY? SECRETARY OF WHAT??

wILL WE NEED A "Tea Party for animals?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts

wow! I dont' need glasses now.;).....good point.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have written my congressmen and senate representatives about this and the other house bill requiring "Voluntary" registration of animal ID. I oppose both.
The animal ID program is suppose to hep stop the spread of diseases and would require every animal in the USA to be tagged. (I am just a poor, broken down Missouri Farmer, I could never afford that!)
Missouri passed some legislation about the animal ID program that basically said we were not going to take part in it. (I am tired or I would post links to the references I have made, sorry.)
Never underestimate what a congressman/woman can do. Even write your state legislators.

OK, I just read this bill. If any of you have tried to import animals to the Untied States you already know that US Customs is a bugger and already covers this proposal. If any of you have traveled outside the United States, You know US Customs is a bugger and asks questions about visiting farms, bringing in fruits, vegetables, plants, etc... This is just another layer in the bureaucracy of government tat does not need to be there. The Department of Agriculture already covers most of this stuff. Either way, write your representatives and let them know you do not want this to pass.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is a copy of the letter I just sent out. Please cut and paste or writ on of your own, but send something. Thanks

Dear Sir,
I recently became aware of H.R. 669: Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act and it concerns me. I think it just adds another layer to the bureaucracy of the government.
I know you have traveled overseas many times in your distinguished career. As you know, when you come through customs, you are asked about visiting farms, plants, fruits and vegetables. US Customs does a wonderful job a protecting our animal and plant species here in the United States.
If you try to ship in animals, there are numerous forms to be filled out including a veterinarian certificate stating the animal is free of disease.
If this is in reference to the snake-fish or the zebra mussel, it would not have helped at all. There are already laws about releasing non-native species into waterways. Unfortunately the laws we have on the books are not enforced. It seems the answer to everything is new laws, instead of enforcing what is already there.
Another concern is that is allows one person (The Secretary of the Interior) to make a decision. Even though he/she is supposed to use sound scientific advice, we have all seen what happens when someone believes one science is sound over another.
When and if this bill comes up fora vote, please consider not voting for it.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have written my congressmen and senate representatives about this and the other house bill requiring "Voluntary" registration of animal ID. I oppose both.
The animal ID program is suppose to hep stop the spread of diseases and would require every animal in the USA to be tagged. (I am just a poor, broken down Missouri Farmer, I could never afford that!)
Missouri passed some legislation about the animal ID program that basically said we were not going to take part in it. (I am tired or I would post links to the references I have made, sorry.)
Never underestimate what a congressman/woman can do. Even write your state legislators.

OK, I just read this bill. If any of you have tried to import animals to the Untied States you already know that US Customs is a bugger and already covers this proposal. If any of you have traveled outside the United States, You know US Customs is a bugger and asks questions about visiting farms, bringing in fruits, vegetables, plants, etc... This is just another layer in the bureaucracy of government tat does not need to be there. The Department of Agriculture already covers most of this stuff. Either way, write your representatives and let them know you do not want this to pass.
I kind of agree, though I would loudly proclaim I'm operating from a position of ignorance of the domain, overall. :) I think we already have statutes in place to monitor what comes into the country and I really fail to see what the true intent/purpose of this bill is. It is too generically written at it may be in an early stage, but I intend to write or call the office(s) of the bill's sponsors to see what they say. One of them is Congressman Kildee from right here in MI, so he's local and I'm going to "pick on" him...I would like to hear from his office what the intent and purpose is. It may be to address issues we've been aware of for a long time (like the zebra mussels et al you mention in your letter) but haven't established penalties for. This bill does specifically address that issue. Well like I said I don't know enough to say so will stop talking now :D

Well almost stop talking. When I contacted the local office they took my info as I have to wait for a response from the DC office which means I should have tried that one first! I did call them later and got the voice mail for the contact so if I ever get any meaningful info back, I will share it with you here.

one other note - the intro to this bill reads in part: "...was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources." In DC speak, "referred to committee" is often a euphemism for "comatose" or "dead" :)

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Snipes...i Know We Can Count On You To Get To The Bottom Of All Of This!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
"Nonnative". Well, if that is the case all people here in America will probably get ban because only Native American's were here first. The founding people were definitely not native. And humans are classified as "animals", right?

But I do understand what they are trying to do. They don't want invasive animals. Recently we received this note with free magnifying glass to help find an invasive, nonnative insect that apparently can mess with citrus plants.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yea, most times politicians actually mean well, but they just are lazy and do not actually investigate or give a lot of thought to what they are proposing. It is like PETA. Well meaning but way way overboard.

For sure, there are species that have been briought here that may become dangerously destructive, unhealthy and dangerous.

There are "killer bees" created by man. Lions and Chimpanzees that attack or get loose and could attack humans. Parrots that are set free and eat crops. My son when he was eleven, got bit by a rattle snake in Orwell, Ohio. Which is in north east Ohio near Lake Erie. He almost lost his arm at age eleven. Luckily he is fine now and is 27 years old. He set his high schools record for three point basketball shots with that arm, so it turned out pretty good.

But the treatment almost closed down his kidneys and he was within a hair of losing his arm. It gets cold as hell up there, but I was told that someone kept snakes in that area many years ago and their building where the snakes were housed got damaged in a storm and all of the snakes got out and bred. Now it is not uncommon for rattle snakes to bite someone in that area, near the Pa border.

So I understand what they are trying to do, but they just are lazy and knee jerk about it. Just like the stimulus bill that they all voted for, without reading it. It was just too much trouble and they had golf to play or honey's to visit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.