Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought you could not band until January 1st of the new year? That's what the local AU club says. What are you banding with IF, AU?

Southwing

·
Registered
628 Posts
We are very strict at holding our bands until Jan 1. I will have a flood of people New Years day coming over in a panic to get them on. Good thing is they dont stick around for chit chat. I do know of others that have birds banded already and personally dont feel the couple of days make a difference.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
We got ours also and don't see what difference it could possiably make. I have had may hatches that flew very well for me so a few days, nah!.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Just got my birds banded today. Drove over an hour, had a club meeting/lunch with the guys. Got my bands and drove back home and went straight into the loft and banded 6 birds. All had half of their wing feathers already. All Blue Bars apparently.

My wife said something to the effect of "hummph, you come home and go straight to the pigeons and don't even say hey to me. I see where I fit in this picture."

I told her I was in a hurry to band the birds and she said "yea, yea, yea, Excuses, excuses".

As should be obvious to y'all by now, I can't win for losing. :)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Just got my birds banded today. Drove over an hour, had a club meeting/lunch with the guys. Got my bands and drove back home and went straight into the loft and banded 6 birds. All had half of their wing feathers already. All Blue Bars apparently.

My wife said something to the effect of "hummph, you come home and go straight to the pigeons and don't even say hey to me. I see where I fit in this picture."

I told her I was in a hurry to band the birds and she said "yea, yea, yea, Excuses, excuses".

As should be obvious to y'all by now, I can't win for losing. :)
Best to be up front, the wife comes some where down the list after pigeon. If you are not cmfortable with that, then be OK with being loser.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I won't get my bands till the 24th. If I'm accepted into the club. :-]. The way things are going so far, it doesn't matter anyway. ;-|
Best of luck to everyone in the New Year! Bill KU4QB

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Got 15 banded and 40 more in a few days. That should about finish up my first round. I really am doing alot of stuff different this year with really taking care of the breeders health, vitamins/minerals, feed, exc. Everything to the max and the birds are so beautiful. Man, those babies are looking awelsome. All I can say is, wow. I would be suprised if this don't make a difference in the youngsters.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I got fifty club bands yesterday, but I also ordered 20 from Foys because I thought they would be here sooner. I ordered them Dec. 10th and they said they would send them on the 26th.

Still don't have them on Jan. 1st.

What gives Foys?

·
Registered
414 Posts
How many rounds do you plan on breeding Ohio? 55 babies for your first round is mind boggeling for me, you have one serious breeding operation going on there ;) my first round is a little less than half of yours, i only have 10 pair.

G

·
Got mine from Foys also, never again. They were supposed to go out on 26th as their website stated. They did not ship til the 28 & 29 (I called to find out), sent regular slow-poke mail service. Finally got mine in the mail this morning and got my 2 first babies I ever had banded. Lot of vaseline, but got it done.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
My "PLAN" is to breed 40 young ones. Thirty for myself. Four for a race in Cleveland (OCR) and 2 for the PT Bragging Rights race. Also 4 for friends.

That is my "PLAN". (reminds me of that old joke, "Man makes plans and God laughs). My goal is to have a young bird team of just thirty. But I could go with 36 if things work out that way. I started with 45 last year and want to cut it down some. But last years young bird team were all donations from other club members and this year I am breeding my own. I'm guessing some fellow members will offer me birds, so I suspect my goal of 30 will be surpassed. I hate to say no to a fellow member because I feel like I am in some way stating that their birds are not good enough for me, if I do. I really do appreciate that they offer them also. For sure some of them have great birds. It's a "catch 22" situation. I want their birds but I don't want too many birds on my young bird team. But what would I do if they did not offer me any birds. If I didn't breed my 30 or so, I would be short. Yep. "catch 22"

I actually have a total of 70 bands. 50 from the club and 20 from Foys (arrived today). Last year, several guys were asking if I had any extra bands, throughout the year, so a few extras might come in handy.

One thing I noticed is that the club bands cost .75 cents each and the bands from Foys cost .45 cents each plus 3 dollars shipping. I think that .75 cents each is way too high. But what ya goin ta do?

I assume it depends on how many bands you order, that affects the price. Our club ordered 600, but Foys probably orders thousands from the AU, so they get a better deal.

Oh. Plus I am going to order several money race bands later. Haven't decided on how many just yet. Probably ten or so.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My "PLAN" is to breed 40 young ones. Thirty for myself. Four for a race in Cleveland (OCR) and 2 for the PT Bragging Rights race. Also 4 for friends.

That is my "PLAN". (reminds me of that old joke, "Man makes plans and God laughs). My goal is to have a young bird team of just thirty. But I could go with 36 if things work out that way. I started with 45 last year and want to cut it down some. But last years young bird team were all donations from other club members and this year I am breeding my own. I'm guessing some fellow members will offer me birds, so I suspect my goal of 30 will be surpassed. I hate to say no to a fellow member because I feel like I am in some way stating that their birds are not good enough for me, if I do. I really do appreciate that they offer them also. For sure some of them have great birds. It's a "catch 22" situation. I want their birds but I don't want too many birds on my young bird team. But what would I do if they did not offer me any birds. If I didn't breed my 30 or so, I would be short. Yep. "catch 22"

I actually have a total of 70 bands. 50 from the club and 20 from Foys (arrived today). Last year, several guys were asking if I had any extra bands, throughout the year, so a few extras might come in handy.

One thing I noticed is that the club bands cost .75 cents each and the bands from Foys cost .45 cents each plus 3 dollars shipping. I think that .75 cents each is way too high. But what ya goin ta do?

I assume it depends on how many bands you order, that affects the price. Our club ordered 600, but Foys probably orders thousands from the AU, so they get a better deal.

Oh. Plus I am going to order several money race bands later. Haven't decided on how many just yet. Probably ten or so.
Your club is tacking a little, lets say "sur" charge on their bands. You have to order 1000 bands to get them for the $.45 amount but the 600 is not that much more. We do the same thing here but we just charge $.05

1 - 20 of 34 Posts