Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
So the neighbor knocks on the door last night. He said all day long there was a red tail hawk on top my piegon loft.

So what can I do to scare it away?

Also will my dog help keep it away or will it go after my dog?
depends on how big your dog is....If you are home you can scare it away, if not just make sure it can't get in the loft. otherwise not much else you can do. hope it does'nt stay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello there colbyjack, probably you can get a plastic owl (which looks real) and put it on top of your loft and then remove it when the hawk is gone so that they won't get used to it and realize it's just a toy... also you can put a convex mirror on top of your loft...I hope this helps or probably wait for other suggestions...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello there colbyjack, probably you can get a plastic owl (which looks real) and put it on top of your loft and then remove it when the hawk is gone so that they won't get used to it and realize it's just a toy... also you can put a convex mirror on top of your loft...I hope this helps or probably wait for other suggestions...
wont the hawk get suspicsues that the owl is just sitting in the same spot day after day if you do this you will have to move the owl each day before the hawk arrives

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
wont the hawk get suspicsues that the owl is just sitting in the same spot day after day if you do this you will have to move the owl each day before the hawk arrives
yes, you can move it around and take it down some days, but I have heard they are not much of a help. Do you fly your birds? If not if he can not get into the loft just shoo him away.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hawks eat snakes, you will have to keep your birds locked up untill you think he has moved on, that is about all you can do.
It's sad to say but spirit is right. There's not much you can do to the hawk, they're proctected by law. They are also fierce hunters and will wait all day to get your birds. Keep your birds locked up or make them hawk aware, you'll eventually loose some to that hawk when you let them out because mr. hawk knows there's food for him there and he'll wait for the right moment to strike at your birds. It sucks but its bound to happen. If you keep pigeons you'll have hawk problems. Some have it worse than others but it seems that your situation is pretty bad.... you have the hawk roosting on top of your loft!:eek:

There are many threads here in the forum of ways to deal with hawks. Do a search and find the best method for you. I personally believe that your best bet is to make your birds hawk savey. I don't like the idea of locking up my birds until I feel that the hawk has moved on. The hawks in my area don not migrate from what I've been told so I just keep my birds in top condition at all times and let them make a fool out of mr. hawk when he tries to catch one of them.:D

Good luck.;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
My neighbor flies his birds in the after noon or evening time,and he gets hit by a pair of our resident coopers.I've been flying my Yb's at around dusk with luckily no problems .I am thinking that they're probably done hunting at that time.It kinds of sucks though,because they don't get to fly for a long period cause of it getting dark.But i figure a little bit of air time is better then nothing at all.Scope the place and try to take them out late.Just make sure you're very close to them.I mean literally a couple of yards away.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Chris, if it is a Red tail, unless your birds cannot fly when first released, you should have no problem. can you get a pic.? As i have said before, Red tails are no real match for a flying breed of pigeon. I see them above my loft almost every day, my wife who is home all day sees them many times a day, have had two attempts on my birds, both failed... Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.