Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is LyndaM and I live in Spokane Washington. This morning I was looking out my living room window and saw a pigeon walking across my neighbors yard. I went out and caught him with a dish towel and put him in a box on an old towel in a warm place, then covered the box with another towel. It looks to me as if he has one injured wing as when I walked up to him, I saw that he could not fly and one wing is slightly drooping. Other than the wing he appears to be in good health. He is very alert and his eyes are bright, so now what do I do? Does anyone have any advise? Thanks, Lynda

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Lynda,

Thank you for your care and concern over this bird.

Please keep him inside in a safe area away from drafts of cold air. A small dog/cat carrier or a small box will do. Is there any openings of the skin and any blood, how does the poop look?

Has he eaten or drank any water?

Here is a basics of what to do first:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

Here is a resource to getting help:

http://www.pigeons.biz/pigeons/prd.htm

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your reply. I am having a time learning to navigate this site but I think it is really cool! He survived the night and is still very strong. I did everything right according to the links you sent. I looked under the broken wing and it looks dry and scaley under there but no blood. His eyes are still bright and he does not appear to be in pain. I have started to give him water through a dropper on the side of his mouth and he swallows fine. I put some wild bird seed in a lid and I read somewhere they like corn so I put a little canned corn in a lid but I don't think he has eaten. I think he just wants out of the box, he appears to be very strong except for th wing. I looked at the Pigeon Resourse Directory and there is no-one in the state of Washington. Oh yes, last night I tried to immobilize his wing with the self sticking bandage but he got out of it, I was afraid to put it on too tight. I'm not sure what to do here, apparently people don't like pigeons very much here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked to make sure he did not have a band and he does not. His poop is looks like normal bird poop to me (brownish/ white) I guess I'm not sure what it is suppose to look like. Thanks for your questions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well time is going by, so I guess i must make some decisions about Mr. Pigeon. I saw the video on youtube about force feeding. Does anyone have any advise on what to feed him? Do I need to buy buy some bird gravel? Is it too late to try and set his wing? I noted on one of my other posts that he has some dry crusty stuff under the hurt wing but no blood. Does anyone know what that means? thanks lyndam

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He may not recognize what you gave him as food. Wild bird seed is fine, also thawed and drained frozen corn or peas. He may need to be hand fed. You can gently pry open his beak and put a piece of corn on his tongue, allow him to swallow and repeat. If he is wiggly and tries to move you can wrap him in a towel. Also, wings can be set and they do mend, it depends on where it is broken and when.

Can he drink by himself? Have you put a bowl of water infront of him?

Can you take a picture of the wing and the crusty part and post it?

I'm sorry there is no resource available on the link.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hurt pigeon pics

I have been giving water by syringe which he takes up readily. I have "force" fed him corn and peas, he seems to like the corn. Can't really tell if he will feed and water himself. I tried wrapping his wing and he kept falling over, so took the dressing off. I have attached some pictures to my profile. The spot on his wing is after dabbing it with iodine so the coloring is from that and not blood. Now I understand the term "tough old bird", i don't think he is old but he sure is tough, I know he wants to live! His eyes are still bright and he wants to go home. I really feel for him. All of your help is deeply appreciated! Lyndam

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Lynda,

Thank you for taking care of this injured pigeon. It sounds like you are doing a really good job of looking after him... He's lucky to have found you. :)

Hopefully someone more knowlegable than me will take a look at the wound pics you posted and maybe have some input... I'm sorry I can't help very much with that.

From reading previous posts on "wound care" I can only repeat what advice has been given before:
-Clean the wound with a saline solution if you have it. (Can also use diluted Betadine, Nolvasan, or diluted hydrogen peroxide + water to flush the wound)
-Then you can put Neosporin or a similar antibiotic ointment on the wound

I did a search online and found this website that lists Wildlife Rehabilitators in your area: http://www.wwrawildlife.org/help/region1.php?PHPSESSID=dadd886b77108d1e55e1055e5a193baf

I honestly don't know if any of the Rehabbers will take in your pijjie, but maybe you can try phoning them in the morning to find out. There are a few that do say "ALL SPECIES" or "BIRDS" and I'd check with those first.

It's a good idea sure to ask directly if they will take in an injured feral & ensure that they will not simply euthanize the pigeon, because unfortunately that can & does happen... :( Also, be careful because they may euthanize the pigeon if it can't be released. Maybe you can double-check about this beforehand & find out if they are willing to give him back to you to keep as a pet if he can't be released (even if you can't keep him, we can try to find a home for him in the "adoption section" of PT).

I really hope one of the vets/rehabbers on the list will prove to be pigeon friendly. *crossing fingers*

Good luck & let us know what happens if you can.

Almost forgot! Another strategy if you can take the pigeon to a vet is to say he is your pet, that way they will give him back to you & not euthanize him...is that correct, fellow PT-ers? Let me know if I missed something. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hurt pigeon

Thank you for all the encouragement and good help. Mr.Pij died. I think when I tried to immobilize the wing yesterday afternoon it traumatized him and he started to go down hill. Also the hand feeding was probably pretty scarey for a wild bird. I feel so bad and I probably did a lot of things wrong. I do have the feeling that his wing was hurt enough, that he would not have been able to fly again. I did save him from a death of being tortured and shredded apart by cats because there is a bunch in this neighborhood. I hope he knew I was trying to help. Thanks you everyone. Lyndam P.S. Sorry my pictures didn't turn out very good, I had a hard time getting them on the site.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yes you did do your best - thanks for trying to help. l doubt he died due to any trauma induced by your care - he may have had something else internally going on (or if he was attacked by something he could have died of infection of bloodstream). Develop a file of bird help in your area (keep us as a resource of course !). Watch out for wildlife rehab facilities (you gotta ask Q's) because oftentimes they just put the bird down. And as you say you kept him from suffering a far worse fate. Don't be too surprised if from hereon in pigeons-in-need start crossing your path more often:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all! I would be happy to help any pigeons that cross my path and yes, I will keep you as a resource. I was very surprised to find out that there is not much help for wildlife here in Spokane but epically for pigeons. I am glad I was able to help even though it was very sad to lose him. I loved his gentle spirit!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aw, I'm sorry to hear the pigeon didn't make it. As Jaye said, you did your best. It's good that he found a safe place and some loving care from you.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm very sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts