Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heyyyy my friend texted me last night that there was a hurt pigeon at his work. So I drove over there and picked it up it was huddled under a car and it was freezing!

there appears to be blood on the wing and is unable to fly. The right eye doesn’t open, but the left does. I’m unsure if it’s sick in addition to the wing trauma. I have doxycycline 100mg capsules and amoxicillin as well. I’m just unsure how to dose them. I think that it drank a little bit of water overnight. I would use syringe to give antibiotics if need be. I still need to clean and inspect the wing.

wildlife rehab is just too far to take the poor guy. So I’ll try to rehab but I’ll need help. Advice??
Sculpture Wood Tints and shades Art Jewellery
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting
Glove Sleeve Grey Safety glove Ingredient
Wood Twig Event Natural material Grass
Bird Beak Feather Wood Falconiformes
Safety glove Gesture Finger Comfort Knee

· Registered
11 Posts
Definitely damage to the eye, possibly blind. Open the mouth and use a flashlight to check for white or yellow lumps growing in the throat or mouth. Pls post a picture of the poop. Is he eating and drinking? Don’t start any dosage until we get a perception of the problem. Don’t take to rehab they will euthanize a bird in this condition, especially a pigeon

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Definitely damage to the eye, possibly blind. Open the mouth and use a flashlight to check for white or yellow lumps growing in the throat or mouth. Pls post a picture of the poop. Is he eating and drinking? Don’t start any dosage until we get a perception of the problem. Don’t take to rehab they will euthanize a bird in this condition, especially a pigeon
Hey thanks so much for responding. He definitely did drink some of the water I gave him last night, not sure about food. I gave him a nice warm bath and cleaned him up pretty well just now. I found a wound in the arm pit area of his left wing. It’s a hole.. maybe a BB gun or some puncture wound if some sort. Rubbed some betadine in the area and put some antibiotic cream. I didn’t put a dressing on it. His wings look intact. I’ll post pics and also of the droppings. Looking forward to your response!!

He’s resting quietly in his new area (large dog crate) with a heater gently blowing in. I’ll check his mouth here in the next hour and let you know what I see in there

· Registered
8,198 Posts
The droppings in the one photo indicate starvation droppings (green and creamy). If he has not started eating yet, you will need to handfeed him. Defrost frozen peas in warm water and place one at a time deep inside the beak over the tongue. Feed about 20 peas and when that gets digested (droppings will become bulkier) feed 20 more. An adult pigeon needs abput 150 peas divided into 3 meals of 50 each (depending on how quick the crop empties).

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can give 40 mg of amoxy twice a day for infection. Crush the tablet and split into correct dosage. Then take small piece of wet bread, soak up the powder and put deep inside the beak over the tongue.
I woke up at 1am to check on the little guy and read this. I had some frozen peas and I was able to get down 12. I was always concerned that I was going to push his tongue down with the pea. Can I gently shove that sucker in there? I try not to use the big ones. I need to figure out a good technique.

I’m gonna wait until my sister gets home from work then do a full 20 reassess his poop. the medication in wet bread is just genius. I wasn’t feeling too good about this guy cause I never saw him eat. I’m so happy to know that I can give him his meds and food like this. this forum has been so helpful. it makes me want to get into raising pigeons and seeing them everyday!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just make sure the pea goes over the tongue. This will become easier with practise. He is probably in a lot of pain. Hopefully you will only need to handfeed for a day or two and then he will start eating.
just did a second round of peas. seems more energetic today, trying to flap around more than usual. I also gave him some amoxicillin in the moist bread!

I had 500mg amoxicillin capsules. 40mg doses means I can get 12.5 40mg doses from one 500mg capsule. I emptied the capsule and weighed the powder it came to 700mg. So I divided the 700mg by 12.5 and got 56mg(actual weight, but dose is still 40mg?) for each dose for the pigeon. Is my math correct anyone out there do a quick double check?! i Have a pic of her eye and droppings for update. I notice the right eye crusting up again today after I flushed it clean yesterday. I have terramycin ointment for the eye would that help? and how long should I give the amoxicillin for?

should I put the crate outside in the daytime so it can get some light? I have 4 silkie chickens in the backyard He could look at. I’d love to let the pigeon walk around back there, but im not sure if it can fly yet so I don’t want it to go quite yet until the wound and eye heals up a bit more

also, for food I already have basic wild bird seed mix I put in my bird feeder (not the best, the stuff that’s sold in a big containers at the grocery). actually, you can probably see what’s in it from the pictures. what would be the best type to use in this situation?
Bird Beak Flooring Wood Landscape

Vertebrate Comfort Cat Carnivore Mammal

Hand Sleeve Grey Beige Wood

Hand Finger Snout Thumb Safety glove

· Registered
8,198 Posts
Divide the 500 mg into 4 heaps of 125 mg each. Then each heap into 3 of 40 mg. So then you have 12 heaps (6 days meds). Doesn't matter if the mg of each heap is not exactly 40 mg. Treat for 10 days.

Don't put him outside. Droppings look a bit better. The seeds are perfect, just put them in a small bowl.

Terramycin ointment will be perfect to use for the eyes.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Divide the 500 mg into 4 heaps of 125 mg each. Then each heap into 3 of 40 mg. So then you have 12 heaps (6 days meds). Doesn't matter if the mg of each heap is not exactly 40 mg. Treat for 10 days.

Don't put him outside. Droppings look a bit better. The seeds are perfect, just put them in a small bowl.

Terramycin ointment will be perfect to use for the eyes.
thanks so much for your advice. The little guy is looking better today. I’m surprised how tame pigeons are. he’s now taking peas from my hand to eat. I tried to give him bird feed but he picks them up and then doesn’t eat them. He seems to really like the peas.

the wound that I was concerned about has a nice scab already forming I can’t believe it healed so quickly. also his eye is already starting to heal up. I’ll attach a picture I just took. I’m not sure if the eye will move back into its normal position when it’s healed or will the eye stay downward like this?

I have him just chilling here with the family under a nice heat lamp. he hasn’t yet tried to fly away or flap his wings. is this something that will happen soon or?
Bird Eye Beak Feather Galliformes

· Registered
8,198 Posts
The eye issue is probably not related to his injuries and something totally different. Hopefully the amoxy will sort that out over time. With an injury like that he will probably never be able to fly well again.

In the long run peas are not very nutritious. Try to get him hemp, safflower and red sorghum seed. Also shelled sunflower seed. Pigeons love them. He will also benefit from a general vitamin supplement.

You might have a new pet, just warning you 😁

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The eye issue is probably not related to his injuries and something totally different. Hopefully the amoxy will sort that out over time. With an injury like that he will probably never be able to fly well again.

In the long run peas are not very nutritious. Try to get him hemp, safflower and red sorghum seed. Also shelled sunflower seed. Pigeons love them. He will also benefit from a general vitamin supplement.

You might have a new pet, just warning you 😁
If I indeed do end up keeping him I have my old chicken coop which is nice and spacious and maybe roomy enough for him to get a little flight. would I need to get him a mate? how do I check what the sex is? does it matter the sex of the other pigeon? I’m sure I could google all of this, but I rather hear from your expertise.

· Registered
8,198 Posts
Lets first get him 100% healthy. Put a mirror inside his cage and check the reaction. A male will often attack his own image while a female won't. If you are still unsure, rather get a female. Two females will get on but two males won't.

· Registered
24 Posts
You can check the birds vent for sex. If the vent is in the shape of a wide "u", it is a male. If the vent is in the shape of a wide "n", the dove is a female. When they mate, the two vents together make a complete sealed circle with the male vent on the bottom making a complete seal for sperm to pass into the female vent. KEEP UP THE GOOD CARE... believe me, you will get so attached...I have been raising doves since 2012, flock of 20

· Registered
24 Posts
You can check the birds vent for sex. If the vent is in the shape of a wide "u", it is a male. If the vent is in the shape of a wide "n", the dove is a female. When they mate, the two vents together make a complete sealed circle with the male vent on the bottom making a complete seal for sperm to pass into the female vent. KEEP UP THE GOOD CARE... believe me, you will get so attached...I have been raising doves since 2012, flock of 20
Here is a poem I found years ago, believe me it is true... whomever wrote was surely a lover of doves:

"It came to me that everyone i lose a dove they take a piece of me with them, and every new dove who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their ❤ "

"If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dove (Holy Spirit) and I will become as generous and loving as they are ❤! Anomyous

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lets first get him 100% healthy. Put a mirror inside his cage and check the reaction. A male will often attack his own image while a female won't. If you are still unsure, rather get a female. Two females will get on but two males won't.
hello again! I’m running into a problem with this guy. he never eats the wild bird seed. I bought some pigeon feed from Amazon which should come soon. he ONLY eats peas and he loves them. he will eat them in his cage only some of the time, but mainly he likes to eat them from my hand. got any ideas on how to wean him off? It doesn’t appear that he has any vision in that right eye of his :(

· Registered
8,198 Posts
When weaning a youngster off peas, one sprinkle some seeds on top of the peas. Maybe the wildbirdseed are too small for him, esp if blind in one eye. Have you tried shelled sunflower seeds from a supermarket? You can also get dried peas and brown lentils from a supermarket.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well that’s interesting! suddenly I’m not too interested in finding out what the sex is lol. Yeah the lil bugger is growing on me.. wow that’s quite the number you have. it’s quite a bit of work just to take care of this one lil dude. I don’t believe I’ll be able to release him back into the wild the way his eye is looking. I spent a lot more time with him today. just having him sit on my lap. not sure if he likes it more than in the cage

· Registered
24 Posts
well that’s interesting! suddenly I’m not too interested in finding out what the sex is lol. Yeah the lil bugger is growing on me.. wow that’s quite the number you have. it’s quite a bit of work just to take care of this one lil dude. I don’t believe I’ll be able to release him back into the wild the way his eye is looking. I spent a lot more time with him today. just having him sit on my lap. not sure if he likes it more than in the cage
Yes doves are so beautiful and loving. I have dedicated a small room inside for my doves, I have a screened in balcony outside the room. I open the window for them to go outside. They are so beautiful to watch how they groom and care for their mates. To tell them apart as in male or female, soon after they hatch, I band them. Right leg band represents a female, leftleg band represents a male. I do this so I can quickly see them pairing, as having named them and knowing their sex by the leg band makes identity easy. I dedicated a room inside my house and that makes their safety secure and no major health problems. I provide plastic dish pans of water on the balcony, off this room available to the doves through a window, for them to bath. They love the water and enjoy preening on the balcony. Having them free to fly around instead of a cage is a little more work for me, but I believe they are healthier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts