Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in southeast texas, and from what I have seen, I seem to have a dove pigeon hybrid on my hands. I am horrible with birds. It seems healthy, other than the fact it tried to roost with the cats. Miracle I got to her before they noticed. What do they eat? I put down some seed but it soesnt seem all that interested. I've tried the nieghborhood and local bird club, but no one seems interested...They actually said it just a dove or a pigeon.. Any, anyone with any info I would be hugely appriciative.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I brought her in, there is available water and seed, it has drank, but no signs of eating. Eyes are bright, and alert. Upload only allows 100kb. I have to see how to shrink? these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It's a pigeon :) He/she's cute! Looks like a young one. Healthy too! Which makes it easier on you. Wild bird seed is fine. Especially the kind with a lot of different stuff in it. Looks like its beak has a little bit of a growth problem. Looks a little too long. Is it scissored? Maybe I'm just seeing things but it looks like the bottom and upper beak doesn't line up

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i see it too, The beak tip doesn't seem to meet in the middle. then i thought that the finger tip was a growth under the chin till i realized it was a finger LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Her beak is a bit off. How long should I keep her before trying to release her? I really dont want her to end up kitty food. Her beak as an overlapping hook that slides the top to the side

Attachments

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If she's healthy, isn't injured, can fly and walk fine, can eat and drink on her own, then you can let her go anytime :)
Is she tame?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is drinking, but she kept trying to land on me outside. I have tried not to handle her much, but she doesnt seem to understand safe boundries. I havent seen her eat yet, but she is very alert . The times she tried to fly outside want what Is call impressive. She can glide low ,but cant make it into the trees. Frankly this area is full of cats. I'm thinking about trying to release at the cemetarry. I've called the local vet and all I get is that she is a lazy fledge just put her out in the open and they are sure she will be fine. Riiiggghht. Im not comfortable serving up a feathered kitty dinner. Im tring to find a local bird rehab....she just seems a bit...simple? I just have no experience with birds.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Don't let her go until you are absolutely sure she can feed herself. If she has a problem with that she's a goner! Put it in a deep dish. Don't let her outside until she's definitely OK!

Please gently open beak and check inside. A healthy mouth is clean and pink. The scissored beak can be just 'the way it is' or can be caused by illness which shows as a yellowish growth or cheesy substance inside the beak. Hopefully not.

The bigger problem is that birds with the overhanging top beak can starve if it continues to grow unchecked so they can't pick up food. It should be trimmed. Ideally, the bird should be kept until it seems pretty sure it won't regrow.

We can advise on trimming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Inside seems healthy, no discharge or visible growths. Pink, the fact that she lets me check without complaint bothers me. Thank you all for the help. Im used to fur rehab...this feathers bisiness has me flustered. Any other suggestions..pointers...thumps to the head are more than welcome. As to the beak...how do you trim it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Beaks can be trimmed as per below

Beak Trimming - use with caution!

We keep cornflour (not sure if it's called something else in the US) as it helps to stem bleeding if too much is trimmed. Also, rather than a file, we use a small dremel tool as a 'grinder' for fine trimming and smoothing.

The process is simple enough but, if one does decide to do it themselves, it does need a lot of care to do it in small increments to avoid snipping where there are blood vessels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called Texas Parks and Wildlife. They laughed at me. They gave me a list of people that do bird rehab. They stated they don't "do" pigeons. What is wrong with people? These are the same people that will call me when they have a kitten so malnourished its practically see through!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts