Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No, I'm not insane!

Just recently I found out about the therapeutic value of food grade hydrogen peroxide for humans, which has got be wondering about its potential uses for seriously ill pigeons. Food grade Hydrogen peroxide is a specific type which is free of stabilizers (unlike the kind you can buy at a drug store) and it comes in a specific concentration (35%); I first read about it here :

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/hydrogen_peroxide.html

Its very interesting as it apparently can be used as a powerful anti-bacterial, anti fungal, anti-viral (!) and even anti-cancer agent in humans. Its been said to cure fungus, human cankers, malaria, cholera, and melanoma cancer amongst many other things. I also found out that hydrogen peroxide is released naturally by the body when cells are stressed , and it stimulates white cell production & action against disease.

This got me thinking about its uses in treating critically ill pigeons who often suffer from a deadly combination of many of the above ailments. I have searched the interent, and all I came up with was a report from one pigeon fancier on another forum who swears by using 1/3 of teaspoon hydrogen peroxide toa cup of water for his expensive dying pigeons, as a kind of last ditch effort to save its life. He claims that it works, but did not specify the concentration or type of hydrogen peroxide used.

Does anyone here have any experiences with hydrogen peroxide that they could share?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
This is what I could find

"Drinking Water of Farm Animals:
Use 8 ounces of 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide per 1000 gallons of water of 30 ppm. If you do not have an injector, start out by using 1 teaspoon of 35% hydrogen peroxide in the drinking cups at the stanchion. This same ratio is used for all farm animals: cows, pigs, poultry, sheep, goats, rabbits and birds, increasing the oxygen level to the blood and cells. When hydrogen peroxide has been used for cattle, an increase in milk production and an increase in butterfat content have been reported. Farmers have also reported less mastitis in their herds. Hog farmers have reported less mastitis in their herds. Hog farmers have reported their hogs using less feed in a shorter growing time (as much as 30 days less). Turkey and chicken growers reported increased weight per bird using less feed. A man in Wisconsin has told us that he has had the best reproduction rate of his buffalo by using hydrogen peroxide in their drinking water.

Peroxide application into the well water, or city water can best be accomplished by a metering device, which keeps the application more constant and thorough although manual application can be a second best. The rule of thumb is 8 to 10 oz. of 35% hydrogen peroxide to 1000 gallons water."

Additional generic info:

http://www.agriorganics.com/agriculture.php?Pid=12
http://www.cleansing.com/hoxy.htm
http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml
http://www.h2o2hydrogenperoxide.com/ref.html

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think they just want to sell their book.... I would not put much into it IMO.

if this fancier that used it likes it, then he needs to know what and why he is treating his birds, what is it curing? does he know? why are his birds dying in the first place?... is he just giving it hoping it will help? If he actuall knew why they were sick perhaps there is better treatments for that specific illness. thats what I would think.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Never have heard of this - although I wouldn't dismiss it so fast

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This is from the book Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 Medical Miracle - William Campbell Douglass, MD (2003)
Many people are now recommending hydrogen peroxide by mouth. It appears efficacious by mouth, but extreme caution has been advised. Absorbate, iron and fats in the stomach change H2O2 into superoxide free radicals. These free radicals can do severe damage to the lining of the stomach...
I use it as a mouthwash as per advise of my dentist, but would be wery cautious to use it on my birds if at all.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I believe there is a doctor that is treating people for all sorts of things by flushing them out with peroxide. I think he's putting it in their blood. I can't remember the details, I need to find the story.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide, as Im sure many of you know, is used to induce vomitting in many animals after ingesting a toxic substance. Hydrogen peroxide is also found naturally in the body, however is toxic. The only reason it is not is do to an enzyme, Peroxisome, that destroy/neutrilize it in cells.

Personally I do not recommend it.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Thank you, Foundabird.:)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think that Charis would like to welcome you Foundabird and your information is just wonderful and I thank you as well--what a wonderful resource you are going to be for you sound very experience with animals....The reason that I am picking on "old Charis" (don't really know her age) LOL is because she never thanked me for anything--welcome aboard Foundabird....c.hert

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I would like to offer my sincere THANK YOU to all our members who spend their time and contribute sound advice, each and every day.... and a special thank you to you c hert.

·
Registered
499 Posts
wow,-is this sci-fi or what.??-not consistant with labeling,,diluted-can be used for a mouth wash(gingevitis),-but-deliberately-tainting drinking water-goes far beyond my limits./.there was a member some time ago ,who had it in his head to use clorox bleach,,wow...sincerely james waller

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I think that Charis would like to welcome you Foundabird and your information is just wonderful and I thank you as well--what a wonderful resource you are going to be for you sound very experience with animals....The reason that I am picking on "old Charis" (don't really know her age) LOL is because she never thanked me for anything--welcome aboard Foundabird....c.hert

Now, now...I do remember complimenting you though, c hert.:)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your responses.

I went ahead and purchased some 35% food grade peroxide which arrived this week. My research into FGHP is looking very positive, and pretty much mirrors sreesh's very informative post above. Most of the info for its use regards livestock and humans, so I'm yet to find dosage info that I'm comfortable with using in pigeons.

I should say that I live in Australia, and its illegal to treat, or seek treatment for feral pigeons here. We don't even have any animal humanity laws to protect them, so obtaining many types of conventional meds & veterinary treatment is out of the question.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Bella, I just want to make note, and as you may already know, that 35% food grade peroxide is at a very high concentration and extremely oxidative, so if you get any on your hands you need to rinse immediately or you will see white oxidative burns. Also, for comparison 35% peroxide will be 10 times higher in concentration than the 10 Volume peroxide typically found at most drug stores.

I know there are recommendations for use in animals for peroxide, but these recommendations are for larger animals with much larger, more robust gastrointestinal organs, than a bird's more delicate ones. What ever you do, please be very careful with this chemical, as even a small mistake will bring harm to a bird.

I know where you are is complicated with getting proper medicines and treatment for ferals, but I would consider the internal use of peroxide in pigeons experimental. If it were an effective product to use in pigeons, I am sure, with the amount of pigeon fanciers in the world, and I know they do like to sometimes use unorthodox treatments and methods, there would be good reference recommendations for its use and I am unaware of any.

I am not saying I would not consider using it, but it would be only as a salvage therapy. Salvage therapy is were you use unconventional treatments, methods and/or medicines to try to save a life were all other attempts with conventional therapy has failed and you are at the end of the road. You have conceded the patient is certainly going die, so there is not much to lose in trying something experimental as a long shot.

Karyn

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Bella...I agree with Dobato.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dobato, I appreciate the info and caution.

I can say with passion that I have no intention of experimenting on sick or even dying birds, so don't worry:) I am only trying to find more specific info about dosages at this stage.

The dosage info for pigeons is hard to come by, but apart from skepticism from people who have never used it and don't really know much about it, I have yet to come across any stories of people using it unsuccessfully ...like causing a disaster or anything like that. On the contrary, there is plenty of information expressing the opposite. And basically, I personally find the science to be sound after several weeks of research.

The most specific dosage info I found was on a pigeon breeders mailing list, and i am trying to get in contact with the person who wrote some details there.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The dosage info for pigeons is hard to come by, but apart from skepticism from people who have never used it and don't really know much about it, I have yet to come across any stories of people using it unsuccessfully ...like causing a disaster or anything like that. On the contrary, there is plenty of information expressing the opposite. And basically, I personally find the science to be sound after several weeks of research.

The most specific dosage info I found was on a pigeon breeders mailing list, and i am trying to get in contact with the person who wrote some details there.
Bella, I am familiar with 35% food grade peroxide because I have used it many times before, and in fact have a bottle in my fridge right now (it must be kept refrigerated, by the way) and I mostly use it diluted down with water as a soak for raspberries and strawberry's to deal with mold concerns I have for both of these berries, but I am quite familiar with its use as well in humans.

Peroxide in one of the chemicals I don't think that a dose can easily be converted or extrapolated for use in birds, as mentioned before, a small amount of oxidation caused by peroxide to our esophagus or GI tract is going to minor, at the correct concentration/dose, but this same dose may prove harmful to a bird's. I think that you not being able to find good references should serve as a further caution, as if it was effective, or safe, I feel it would be in use by fanciers, as these guys really do know a lot about our beloved pigeons, and I also feel that one reference really does not have much meaning for its efficaciousness in birds/pigeons.

Karyn

1 - 20 of 36 Posts