Pigeon-Talk banner

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  AZWhitefeather 
#1 ·
Has anybody every heard of Hypersensitivity pneumonitis in relation to pigeons or pigeon feces? I have read that it can be caused by cockatiels or other pet birds. Does anybody have any information or first hand experience with this?

Any information or first hand knowledge would be very helpful. Thank you!

#3 ·
Yep. It has quite a few names: Bird Fancier's Lung, Pigeon Lung, Hypersensitive Pneumonitis, Extrinsic Allergic Alveolitis... and seems like a few more that I can't think of. Susceptible people can get it from more than just pigeons--some even from feather pillows.

It's a real mess if you're into birds.

Pidgey

#5 ·
I wonder if this is shrugged-off by people who smoke?

Seems like there are an aweful lot of Lung and Nervous-system and Brain problems non-smokers get...which people whosmoke do not get...or hardly get.

Parkinsons Disease, for one...

Asthma, generally...

On and on...

#6 ·
Hi Brooke,

As RodSD said, I have had to become an expert of sorts after developing the disease a couple of years ago.

Strangely, smokers are less likely to develop it than non smokers. but smoking doesn't affect its course once started. As far as I remember children are less likely to develop the condition than adults.

There is also a yahoo group that has a lot of helpful members: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/breederslung/

People that keep parrots, budgies etc can get it, as well as people that kep pigeons...and poultry.

If you are worried, the bes thing is to have a blood test to see what sensitivity you have to avian protein. There are several levels of sensitisation, so it can be caught early. My sensitisation is high, I never realised I was becoming ill as I thought my symptoms were a side effect of blood pressure medication. I developed the condition by having pigeons in my bedroom.

This site is very comprehensive: http://www.pigeon-lung.co.uk/

`Cynthia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.