Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really appreciate some expert advice please. A beautiful tan and white, what I now know is a tippler pigeon, adopted us about 6 weeks ago. When we realised that he was going to stay, I researched into the care of such and we've adapted our garage for him to live in with a 'pigeon flap' for him to use to go out and come in. I checked on him a few hours ago and he was absolutely fine and doing his merry little dance of welcome. I then went back to freshen his food and water and discovered that he was lame. We've managed to catch him to investigate, hoping that he had maybe caught a claw in his ring but it looks like he's either dislocated or broken a toe and is unable to use one of his legs. This is obviously causing him discomfort and he is effectively handicapped by only being able to use one leg. Don't know what to do for the best. All advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if it is only a toe.. it will heal up.. maybe crooked but it is hard to set a toe.. I would keep him in a cage to limit his movement for a few weeks..and see how he does. you may want to not let him out to fly by himself as he could be a target for a bird of prey as he is a lone bird and not with a flock with more eyes to sky so to speak..to keep a watch out for predators.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response

I really appreciate your time. I will make sure that he is confined to the garage tomorrow and hope that he gets better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts