Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi friends
I don't know if this is believable or not , good or bad but is a white big bird.

I received a call from my wife that she saw a poor bird standing on fence at night time just 1 hour ago, and all the pass by was looking at this bird, but not dare to touch it as you know HK is illegal and they think these poor bird carry disease. I keep searching while back from work and finally I found he/she was still there on the bridge , but took me long time I was very worry for this poor bird. I brought back to my home , not done anything except feed and water. He/she eat alot and drink now is resting but sometime eat again seems long time not eat.

Seems not afraid of us .

Feathers are dirty with mud maybe due to constructions sites. I will not clean until I see is stable maybe 1 more day to avoid give stress.

Now what do you suggest me to do , let him/her rest and eat, drink?

Please find photos and if need more let me know please.
Size of this bird is quite big like eagle compare to my previous cute girl. Male or Female?

Poop look watery maybe due to not eat ?
Hope to see your guidelines.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Thank you for helping him! Caging him to keep him safe and keeping him warm should help a lot. Can you give him seed and water? Thanks! Looks like a lost tame pigeon, maybe from a wedding release?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Ken...I'm thrilled that fate has brought you another pigeon companion and I think a young hen. Congratulations! :) I knew it would happen.:D
My feeling, from looking at the pictures, is that the pigeon is exhausted and starving. How long ago did you bring her home? 1 day, two?
I think you are correct about the droppings looking as they do from lack of food.
I would give her another day to rest and eat, to see if the dropping start to look normal and then evaluate from there.
Also, do get a towel and fold it and let her have it to lay on. I think that would be more comfortable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for helping him! Caging him to keep him safe and keeping him warm should help a lot. Can you give him seed and water? Thanks! Looks like a lost tame pigeon, maybe from a wedding release?
Thank you cwebster I feel bad if not help them
Place where I live now does not have pigeons nearby is a quiet residential near by the sea. Only have many hawks.
I was surprised after seeing the poor bird on the bridge don't know where came from.
In Hong Kong no one release pigeons during any ceremony.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken...I'm thrilled that fate has brought you another pigeon companion and I think a young hen. Congratulations! :) I knew it would happen.:D
My feeling, from looking at the pictures, is that the pigeon is exhausted and starving. How long ago did you bring her home? 1 day, two?
I think you are correct about the droppings looking as they do from lack of food.
I would give her another day to rest and eat, to see if the dropping start to look normal and then evaluate from there.
Also, do get a towel and fold it and let her have it to lay on. I think that would be more comfortable.

Hi Charis thank you for your kind words . He or She seems not afraid from us .
Let me add the seeds and water into the bowls without flapping me and seems this bird is familiar with the bowls. When I point at the bowls, she/he begin to eat and does not need me to teach.

One thing I must tell is this poor bird have mud on the feathers and especially on one side of the face with half opened eye, don't know if it hurts or the muds get into the eye. I wanted to clean up the dirt, but I am worry that may cause the bird more stress ,since we have only found the bird few hours ago not even one day.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You can clean the mud from near the eye with a warm wet cotton ball or soft cloth. I wouldn't worry about bathing him till he is feeling better. It's a domestic bird and wouldn't make it outside for long. Good that you took him home.
If you put a cover over the back and one side of the cage, near where it perches, like maybe a towel or something, he/she will feel more secure and a bit more private. Will probably help him to relax better. Definitely a young bird.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can clean the mud from near the eye with a warm wet cotton ball or soft cloth. I wouldn't worry about bathing him till he is feeling better. It's a domestic bird and wouldn't make it outside for long. Good that you took him home.
If you put a cover over the back and one side of the cage, near where it perches, like maybe a towel or something, he/she will feel more secure and a bit more private. Will probably help him to relax better. Definitely a young bird.
How can we know if is domestic bird?
Today she or he start to flap me with baby cue sound when I keep my hand inside to put the seeds, I dont feel this is baby because my previous bird was raised from 2 weeks old and I remember the size compare to the size is huge difference. Both are white birds too

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It looks like a King pigeon, which are domestic. Do you have feral pigeons that look like that?
Also the size has nothing to do with it. The size is in the breed. Kings are large breed. Look at his nostrils. He doesn't have a white cere. Rather still the pink of a baby.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes we have feral pigeons in white color, but maybe 1 out 30 not seen much. Mostly are grey or black , mix. They are near my working place which is very very far from my place.
Today started to give med for canker purpose as precaution.
Here are the photos of the head with alot mud tried to remove but seems is dry up cannot remove except the skin near the eye was able to remove with warm wet puff.

Checked the feathers look incomplete, and also no lice inside and looks clean .
Bird without lice feel like she go escaped from someone what do you think?
Nearby have many mainland people who come to work in HK and they might have kept her for meat or something not sure just my thought and she escaped from balcony and went all the way down to constructions site where she got all these muds because my area is new and still new buildings are coming up

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Oh the poor thing. Certainly needs your help. That actually looks like oil on the feathers. As long as you have cleaned around the eye, that is probably the best you can do for now with the cleaning. Eye drops may help, ones you can give to birds, or Opthalmic antibotic drops or ointment for people may help his eye some.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hi Charis thank you for your kind words . He or She seems not afraid from us .
Let me add the seeds and water into the bowls without flapping me and seems this bird is familiar with the bowls. When I point at the bowls, she/he begin to eat and does not need me to teach.

One thing I must tell is this poor bird have mud on the feathers and especially on one side of the face with half opened eye, don't know if it hurts or the muds get into the eye. I wanted to clean up the dirt, but I am worry that may cause the bird more stress ,since we have only found the bird few hours ago not even one day.
Sorry it took me so long to look at the pictures, Ken. It's another one of those days.:eek:
Could that be tar round the face rather than mud?
I do think you have a young bird.
Thee poop looks good.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Friends

Short updates on my King Pigeon.

Since ever found him after few weeks he got respiration problem and with the advise from members I took him to Vet who accepted to help my bird and regular check up.
Have been giving him med for almost a month by the grace of god every thing seems ok and he have grow up, eye is ok and the muds have been replaced with new feathers.

He was a good bird but time goes by he becoming angry bird does not allow me and my wife to clean the age and peck us very till see our skin with blood & coo for
warnings. Since now he about 4 months he seems finding mate and cooing most time seeing us , but still peck us hard as hell.

After I rescued him about a month later I found one baby dove of 1-2 week which I raised her now she become our friend.

Whenever we let both of them out for freefly in the house , my gupi(pigeon) will run behind this little dove and try to peck removed her feathers and not allow her to enter in some areas. But this little girl want to be his friend and try to approach him . I feel sad to see them like this, I hope they can become good friends and gupi not to become angry birds.

What can I do?

Please guide me

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Are both your birds the same species? First one sounds like an immature male pigeon. One of our two babies has been acting that way too since about 4 months of age. Reminds me of a dumb horny teenager. Tried to pair him with our 4 month female but he is only after many months starting to calm down and let her sit on her eggs which are fakes we substituted. He pecks at me sometimes but once he got to live with the other bird, which took months of living in a side by side cage, he stopped most of the pecking. If your little dove is a different species they may not get along but if it is a pigeon they might eventually become friends. Hope someone more experienced can respond soon. Can you pls post photos of the two birds? Thank you for rescuing them! Would not let them in the same cage unless they get along. Ours were grabbing the others heads and biting very hard, so until that stopped, they were not allowed contact.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He is growing up. He is getting territorial of his cage, which is normal. And he probably needs a mate. They aren't normally happy alone. That isn't a normal life for them. They live to find a mate, build a nest, and raise babies. How much out of cage time does he get?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are both your birds the same species? First one sounds like an immature male pigeon. One of our two babies has been acting that way too since about 4 months of age. Reminds me of a dumb horny teenager. Tried to pair him with our 4 month female but he is only after many months starting to calm down and let her sit on her eggs which are fakes we substituted. He pecks at me sometimes but once he got to live with the other bird, which took months of living in a side by side cage, he stopped most of the pecking. If your little dove is a different species they may not get along but if it is a pigeon they might eventually become friends. Hope someone more experienced can respond soon. Can you pls post photos of the two birds? Thank you for rescuing them! Would not let them in the same cage unless they get along. Ours were grabbing the others heads and biting very hard, so until that stopped, they were not allowed contact.
Hi what do you mean by side by side cage?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.