Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am canadian living in Toronto.
I thought I am crazy loving pigeons and it's only me.
Lost my wife 5 years ago from cancer and I live alone. Last winter(2021) CANADIAN WINTER at minus 22 F, a pair of feral pigeons found shelter on my balcony. Did not know anything about pigeons at that time but it was like a sign of Providence. COVID was keeping us away from socializing and I connected with them giving them food daily and talk to them. Spring came and I had more of them coming. The whole flock of at least 40 pigeons were coming daily on my balcony to eat. I start to read about pigeons and especially where I live. By law, for now, we are not allowed to feed wild life(feral pigeons included) in any parks in the City of Toronto. I said for now because starting with April of 2023 it was decided by law, by some heartless politicians to reduce feral pigeons population by starvation. Not allowed to feed feral pigeons in parks, public places or even private property(like for ex your backyard) forever. Not even in the winter! I stopped feeding my pigeons because I am afraid that my neighbours will complain and pigeons could get killed but I really feel sad and emotionally empty. No cooing sounds anymore! Not to mention that some of them were so close to me that I was almost ready to make them eat from my hand. Or their dance around their partners. Imagine to lose all of that! They are still around waiting for me to change my mind but there is no safe place to feed them where I live. If you have any positive thougts I will appreciate them. Thank you!
Bird Beak Feather Wing Falconiformes

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
All these terrible rules and regulations. The problem with feeding is that it encourages breeding. The numbers will just keep on increasing until a nasty neighbour start putting out poison.

You can always walk down the road and "accidently" spill some seeds from your pocket.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The problem with feeding is that it encourages breeding.
There are limits to breeding which cannot be exceeded by diet. There is a large amount of research from the poultry industry (about raising squabs for meat production) in which all sorts of different diets have been provided as attempts to improve production (and profit) -- despite which there is always a point where more food does not equal greater production even in "ideal" circumstances for breeding.

In natural environments as well (most notably in Scotland and Ireland), no matter how much food is naturally available to pigeon flocks within the environment, there is a limit to the size of the flocks due to the number of viable nest sites (on sea cliffs), rather than the availability of food growing in nearby fields.

Any city where buildings and other man-made structures provide numerous nest sites for pigeons will always have pigeons in evidence regardless of the amount of food within the city because the birds are quite capable of flying to fields outside the city to forage for food -- and indeed, that is exactly how they behave in their native environments: they nest on sea cliffs where no plants grow, then they travel to fields to forage. No amount of feeding within cities changes the number of available nest sites just as no amount of fields near cliffs changes the number of nest sites on the cliffs. No matter how many acres of plants are growing around a city, Rock Doves do not nest in fields -- they nest on elevated ledges of cliffs, or the equivalent human-made structures such as buildings, overpasses, and the open-but-covered features of mass-transit systems. The presence of pigeons in cities is entirely the fault of the bad design of human constructions.

On the other hand, concentrating a lot of tasty seeds in one place tends to draw notable flocks of birds which are then very evident to other people, many of whom seem to be outraged at the mere sight of anyone caring for anything other than them. Scattering seeds thinly over much larger areas would draw less attention to the birds. While many localities may have prohibitions on scattering food, very few (possibly none as I haven't found any yet), have any prohibitions against scattering grass seed where grass would be allowed to grow, and pigeons can and do eat grass seed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lost my wife 5 years ago from cancer and I live alone. Last winter(2021) CANADIAN WINTER at minus 22 F, a pair of feral pigeons found shelter on my balcony. Did not know anything about pigeons at that time but it was like a sign of Providence. COVID was keeping us away from socializing and I connected with them giving them food daily and talk to them. Spring came and I had more of them coming. The whole flock of at least 40 pigeons were coming daily on my balcony to eat. I start to read about pigeons and especially where I live. By law, for now, we are not allowed to feed wild life(feral pigeons included) in any parks in the City of Toronto. I said for now because starting with April of 2023 it was decided by law, by some heartless politicians to reduce feral pigeons population by starvation. Not allowed to feed feral pigeons in parks, public places or even private property(like for ex your backyard) forever. Not even in the winter! I stopped feeding my pigeons because I am afraid that my neighbours will complain and pigeons could get killed but I really feel sad and emotionally empty. No cooing sounds anymore! Not to mention that some of them were so close to me that I was almost ready to make them eat from my hand. Or their dance around their partners. Imagine to lose all of that! They are still around waiting for me to change my mind but there is no safe place to feed them where I live. If you have any positive thougts I will appreciate them. Thank you! View attachment 103030
Lost my wife 5 years ago from cancer and I live alone. Last winter(2021) CANADIAN WINTER at minus 22 F, a pair of feral pigeons found shelter on my balcony. Did not know anything about pigeons at that time but it was like a sign of Providence. COVID was keeping us away from socializing and I connected with them giving them food daily and talk to them. Spring came and I had more of them coming. The whole flock of at least 40 pigeons were coming daily on my balcony to eat. I start to read about pigeons and especially where I live. By law, for now, we are not allowed to feed wild life(feral pigeons included) in any parks in the City of Toronto. I said for now because starting with April of 2023 it was decided by law, by some heartless politicians to reduce feral pigeons population by starvation. Not allowed to feed feral pigeons in parks, public places or even private property(like for ex your backyard) forever. Not even in the winter! I stopped feeding my pigeons because I am afraid that my neighbours will complain and pigeons could get killed but I really feel sad and emotionally empty. No cooing sounds anymore! Not to mention that some of them were so close to me that I was almost ready to make them eat from my hand. Or their dance around their partners. Imagine to lose all of that! They are still around waiting for me to change my mind but there is no safe place to feed them where I live. If you have any positive thougts I will appreciate them. Thank you! View attachment 103030
Can't you just feed them? I feel that they have a right to life, and they obviously love you. I would put the food out and pretent you do not know about the regulations. Cant you put the food on your balcony? that way all your neighbours will see is pigeons flying about but they wont see the food. you could alway say that you where trying to feed small little robins or something. dont let your buddies starve. they are smart. Do read my post on my pigeon friend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't you just feed them? I feel that they have a right to life, and they obviously love you. I would put the food out and pretent you do not know about the regulations. Cant you put the food on your balcony? that way all your neighbours will see is pigeons flying about but they wont see the food. you could alway say that you where trying to feed small little robins or something. dont let your buddies starve. they are smart. Do read my post on my pigeon friend.
Cannot put food on my balcony. I live in a rented apartment and there were more then 40 pigeons coming in the same time to eat on my balcony. Sometimes sitting on my neighbours balconies and pooping. If I would not have stopped feeding them sooner or later my neghbours would have complained to the building manager. That means: they will bring a pest control company to get rid of the pigeons and they will fine me or even worse they will evected me. My heart is broken but I had to stop feeding them. I saw them eating in the grass on the ground around the building so I believe they are ok for now. It is September. I worry that winter is coming. Canadian winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cannot put food on my balcony. I live in a rented apartment and there were more then 40 pigeons coming in the same time to eat on my balcony. Sometimes sitting on my neighbours balconies and pooping. If I would not have stopped feeding them sooner or later my neghbours would have complained to the building manager. That means: they will bring a pest control company to get rid of the pigeons and they will fine me or even worse they will evected me. My heart is broken but I had to stop feeding them. I saw them eating in the grass on the ground around the building so I believe they are ok for now. It is September. I worry that winter is coming. Canadian winter.
Is there not some areas near you in that you can just leave a little trail of food without anyone knowing it is you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there not some areas near you in that you can just leave a little trail of food without anyone knowing it is you?
There is no safe area to feed them where I live. Neighbours can see what happens on the grass around the building. Not to mention if I feed them on the grass they will get together on feeding places and they will stay on the balconies around feeding places. Under the look of my neighbours. Too big of a risk for pigeons. I have to think of something on how to feed them in the winter. Do not know yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is no safe area to feed them where I live. Neighbours can see what happens on the grass around the building. Not to mention if I feed them on the grass they will get together on feeding places and they will stay on the balconies around feeding places. Under the look of my neighbours. Too big of a risk for pigeons. I have to think of something on how to feed them in the winter. Do not know yet.
Hmm okay well it is a difficult situation for you, but I am sure you will think of something as you are intelligent.
Good luck, and hope your friends get fed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hmm okay well it is a difficult situation for you, but I am sure you will think of something as you are intelligent.
Good luck, and hope your friends get fed.
A friend of mine was making fun of me saying: the only option that you have is to feed them in your living room. I am thinking about that. 😃

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear Adrian
What a sad story but probably not uncommon.
So sorry about the loss of your wife, we don’t get over death but we adjust to it- slowly sometimes.
Yes it’s fascinating observing the birds. I now see pigeons in a different light, never minded them and fed them in the park regularly but they each have their own idiosyncrasies, quite strong little soldiers.
So sorry you can no longer feed your flock shame it can’t just remain the original two but that’s not how it goes. We unfortunately think we own this planet- and look at the state it’s in!
All species are of equal importance.
When we have time to reflect we realise how connected we are to them all I think Covid time has allowed this.
I too have just found this site as we now have a squib (living in our spare room, central London ,doing very well and needs to go elsewhere soon) and was desperate for advice.
Your kindness is never wasted. Maybe support an animal/ bird sanctuary somewhere?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts