Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Appologies for not posting for a while, to be honest, nothing interesting has happened to tell you about!

I did the usual pigeon head count when i shut them all in this evening.... 1, 2, 3.... 11, 12, 13... THIRTEEN?! I have twelve! :confused:

I figure this little guy must have stopped by for some seed and a look-see at my flock.

Anyone any idea what breed he/she is? I'm used to getting racers stop off over the racing season (they seem to come over from France, see my pigeon shed on the first bit of land for miles, stop off to refuel and then carry on) but this isn't a racing pigeon... is it?! It has no leg rings and seems in good health.

Weird thing is, no one around here keeps pigeons and this is the second fancy I've found. Last year, my neighbour found a little garden fantail under his car and bought it round. I fed her for just two days and let her out again to fly home but she stayed and I still have her now. :D

I'm not sure what to do with this latest one. I'd like to keep it but I don't know if someone might be missing it and it'll probably just fly away anyway if it's come from near by. ???

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Im guessing it is some sort of tumbler? does he have featherd feet? I would keep him, unless you see a post saying someone lost their bird. or you can put an ad out saying you found him and then they would have to discribe him to you. he sure is pretty!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No feathered feet, just normal pink and scaly! I found him quite late this evening so haven't had a chance to give him a good look over as it was already getting dark. What I did notice was that he was quite plump and had no rings. Also checked in his beak, all clear and pink in there. I can't help thinking someone might be missing him. But then, if he had his own loft and was being fed, why would he come and overnight with my birds?! :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi Georgina

He or she is a cutie, with that crest or hood or whatever the term is (or just a bad feather day?).

Might be advisable, even if he does seem healthy, to keep him separate for a while just in case of any chance infection, opportunity to check his poops, if you aren't already.

Someone here is bound to know the breed, so maybe Google would then turn up a breeder, possibly on the nearest section of the mainland.

John

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is a pretty bird...How big is it???
What do the wings and tail look like?

Just based on these photos...
I might sound crazy but...for some reason this bird looks like a roller to me. It's the structure of the face and beak placement...I have read that there is the possibility in rollers for crested birds to pop up from time to time....but it seems so unlikely. Perhaps this is a mix?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have popped him in an indoor guinea pig cage (but still in the shed with the flock) for now, I've given him some worming stuff in his water. I'd take him to the vets to get him checked over but there are very few over here and no avian vets. I took Airbus to the vet last year after something nearly ripped his leg off and the vet wouldn't even touch him.

I feel I should know his breed! He is the spitting image of my pigeon in my avatar, just with his colours inverted. I got my first few pigeons entirely by accident and have never been sure of any of my birds breeds. I'm sure the lady I got my avatar pidge from said he was part 'nun dove'.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oooh, sorry Bella, I missed your post. He's not huge. But he's pretty bulky. His back, wings and tail are white with the odd grey feather making him appear spotted.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wings, I don't know, I didn't look to be honest. His tail is the same kind of shape as a racers, flat, blunt and narrow.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Like Jrny said it does look a little like a flight but we can't see the whole bird--wondering about the wings how they go--looks a little rollish too but that fluff on the head (crest) ?? curious very pretty bird I hope you keep it...c.hert

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will do my best to get some more photos tomorrow! It might not be til quite late as I have two rabbits in the vet for dentals first thing, I'll have to pick them up after lunch and I have to fit work in somewhere too! Roll on longer summer days! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looking forward to more photos!

The beak just doesn't look "flight" to me...
Maybe spirit wings is on the right track...maybe an armenian tumbler?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tumbler

That is for sure a type of Tumbler! I have one like that in my loft. It is a Komorner Tumbler, and they have a unique personality!

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Hi Georgina...

What a cutie...Sure hope you keep! Fancy breeds aren't known for doing well in the "wild"...

Please keep us updated and post more pics when you can!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi/Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Georgina,

It's a really lovely looking bird. Might have just got out by mistake and luckily came across your place.
It's such a shame when they aren't banded in some way as my vet gave me a simliar bird last year except it had feathered feet. It was found in the street and obviously shouldn't have been out, but once out they have no way of getting home as they aren't normally out flying and so aren't able to learn their bearings to home.
I have another one at the moment that has a small band but no formal contact details and it clearly shouldn't be out in the wild. I have tried to find a way of locating the owner but even the clubs can't help, so this poor bird is stuck.

I do wish owners would mark these fancy birds in some way just in case they escape and at least they'd have some chance of getting home.

I'm glad it's in your care and hopefully you have No13 forever.:D

Janet

Just maybe check the underside of it's wings on the off chance it has a phone number stamped there. That's normally used for homers but worth looking.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
What a gorgeous bird!! It certainly was fortunate to follow your birds in.

I googled Komorner Tumbler and found this cute pic of baby Komorner Tumblers
http://www.porumbei.ro/wp-content/fotografii/kom0.jpg

Also found this -
www.pigeoncote.com/hilight/komorner/komorner.html
The American standard speaks of the following patterns: self, magpie, mottle, tiger and white flighted, so does also the German standard. A German Komorner of tiger marking has to have fully colored flight and tail feathers, while a German mottle bird is also alternating white and color but also marked in flights and tail.
http://www.pigeoncote.com/images/komor8.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi again everyone! Sorry for the really slow update, I've been running round after Daphne rabbit trying to find something she'll eat now she's a bit on the gummy side... She seems to have finally settled for biscuits :rolleyes: I figure that biscuits are better than nothing!

I got some more photos today, and I'm currently trying to upload a video to youtube, He did a little 360 for me when I got the camera out!

I've looked at the Kormorners... I agree he is that kind of shape and has the crest. The picture of the baby ones is so cute!!

I checked furthur up his leg for rings in case they'd slipped over his knee. Definately none on him. I put little plastic clip rings with a phone number on my birds. They're not great and fall off every so often but at least they have something. I haven't a clue where this bird may have come from and no way of finding out.

A few pictures...

His back markings and tail (excuse Dave, the nosey chicken!!) -

Wing -

Tail (anyone know if I need to be worried about the little 'holes' in the top tail feather?) -

Stand by for a youtube video!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts