Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone burned a pigeon, nearly 85% of his feathers are burned and one leg is injured. please help what to do next? Mostly feathersare burned, so in how many days they will regrow? and what the pigeon will eat? Please give me some suggestions. I will update daily.

· Super Moderator
8,528 Posts
Can you post a photo? Is the skin burned as well or only the feathers? You can get the following from a supermarket: whole popcorn kernels, dried peas and brown lentils as well as shelled sunflower seed. If he is not eating, you can handfeed defrosted green peas. Defrost in warm water till soft. Wrap him in a blanket and put one pea deep inside the beak over the tongue. Try to feed at least 90 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 30 each. Make sure the crop empties inbetween feedings.

· Registered
257 Posts
Someone burned a pigeon, nearly 85% of his feathers are burned and one leg is injured. please help what to do next? Mostly feathersare burned, so in how many days they will regrow? and what the pigeon will eat? Please give me some suggestions. I will update daily.
You need a vet because your biggest enemies now is shock, pain and sepsis, if the burns are that big. I had a pigeon that suffered degloving injury to majority of his body. Vet washed everything in saline solution and removed all debris very gently, then gave me an antibiotic which pigeon had to take for 6 days, and an ointment, the oitment helped granulate tissues and promoted formation of new skin. I am in the Balkans the oitment is called Flogocid but I am sure vet can find something equivalent. Then it was pain management and making everything around the bird very clean - so he was on puppy training pad, poop removed as much as possible during the day etc. In time all skin and feather grew back just a small spot on leg remained bald. I am talking about places where spine was visible it all granulated in and new skin and feathers grew. Pigeons are very good in recovery. As for food I fed pigeon granules because they contained added vitamins, minerals and amino acids as he needs now a lot of nutrients to promote skin growth, and they were softer to digest. When birds are in a lot of pain and injured their temperature can get low, their liver and kidneys slow down so they have difficulties to process hard food or it is even too painful for their stomach to work. So I just made sure teh food is soft and I of course avoided hand feeding as I did not want to take him in my hands because he was practically skinned.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
Hi, I only want to add that here in France vets suggest to use this cream (it contains salicylic acid):

It is used to promote the healing of wounds especially when the healing process is hindered by the presence of necrotic tissue, clots, debris, etc.
Here in France it is highly suggested because it is able to "dissolve"/remove necrotic tissue.
We used it for the first time in 2014 when we rescued Nerone, one of my brother's pigeons. She had a necrotic area on her chest and the vet suspected that someone intentionally burned her....

In case there are necrotic areas you could look for a cream having a composition similar to it:

Malic acid 0,4 g, Benzoic acid 0,02 g, Salicylic acid 0,006 g, Propylene glycol 1,7 g, Methyl parahydroxybenzoate. 0,0005 g, Propyl parahydroxybenzoate. 0.01 g, Excipient qs 100 g.

In case the bird will not eat pellet (which is enriched with vitamins, amino acids and minerals as SilverFeral explained) you can add to his drinking water a complete vitamin supplement containing vitamins, amino acids and trace elements.

Please keep us updated.

· Registered
22 Posts
oitment is called Flogocid
Flogocid or better Flogoderm is an ointment that does miracles in wound and infected wound healing and has no contraindications. It was made just for animals, but as it is so efficient, people started to buy it for themselves, so then is was approved for selling in human pharmacies too. It is used by putting it in thick layer over wound and with gauze over it.
This is its composition:
polyvalent bacterial filtrate (enzyme complex - cilantro, dornase, catalase), boric acid, quinophon, white vaseline, anhydrous lanolin, cholesterol, lavender essential oil, liquid paraffin
Maybe there is something similar in your country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts