Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this baby bird and couldn't just leave it there. So I got a box and brought it home gave him/her some food and she just snapped right back. I've had him/her for about 7 to 10 days. At first I was using cat food wet and dry but I've got him/her on bird formula a d slowly increasing it and I feed her about every 2 hours. She's become really active now doesn't just sleep all day. I don't know what I should be doing at this stage. Should I get her some toys. I have her I'm a cat carrier with a heading pad set to low and the top of a fountain soda cup cut and lined with a wash cloth. Any advice or anything like that would be greatly appreciated. I've never done this with a bird but I bottle fed and raised my cat Tink from 10 days old. Hope to hear back you guys have a great day!
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Beak Ducks, geese and swans

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Was this photo taken recently or when you found him? If this is a recent photo, then baby is very underdeveloped. Are you feeding kaytee handraising formula? How much are you feeding? There are plenty of videos on youtube " how to feed baby pigeon".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found this baby bird and couldn't just leave it there. So I got a box and brought it home gave him/her some food and she just snapped right back. I've had him/her for about 7 to 10 days. At first I was using cat food wet and dry but I've got him/her on bird formula a d slowly increasing it and I feed her about every 2 hours. She's become really active now doesn't just sleep all day. I don't know what I should be doing at this stage. Should I get her some toys. I have her I'm a cat carrier with a heading pad set to low and the top of a fountain soda cup cut and lined with a wash cloth. Any advice or anything like that would be greatly appreciated. I've never done this with a bird but I bottle fed and raised my cat Tink from 10 days old. Hope to hear back you guys have a great day! View attachment 98615
You are doing great! I pretty much taught myself and I'm on my fifth batch of pigeons now. So if my math is right then the baby is 2 weeks old now? If so, then I would say start putting some millet and corn/peas in there so they can explore finding food with pecking. I move up to small red beans, rice and peanuts as they get old enough. They can't digest that bigger stuff till about a month old or so though. I found that raising one takes a little longer than two at a time. Something about seeing the bird to it drives competition.
What is your intent here? It will start to fly at around a month probably. I socialize mine with wild flocks, especially around food/feeding so they don't associate food solely with humans. Mine rejoin the wild flock anywhere from 7 weeks to 3 months. They still visit me and fly to my arm when I go out to the feeding spot though. Its way cute!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to keep her and see if I can't train her to be a homing pidgeon. I don't know if I'm giving him enough food or not though. I'm hand feeding her with a plastic syringe and bird formula still. I'm going to get her some peas today though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Awww so cute 😍
Good job I don't think I would be able to feed such a tiny baby squeaker !
Make sure you keep him warm because he can't heat himself properly but I'm sure you do it perfectly !

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Are you feeding enough? He is a bit underdeveloped for a baby that is about 2 weeks old. If the crop is a bit slow, you can add some human baby applesauce to the formula.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Have you been increasing the amount of food gradually? When on formula (consistency of tomato ketchup) they don't need additional water. Can you post a photo of him after getting fed to view the crop? Here's a photo of a baby with a full crop, to give you an idea.
Bird Beak Galliformes Terrestrial animal Feather

1 - 17 of 17 Posts