Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I found a pigeon that needs urgent medical care. Could someone please guide me to a humane society that accepts birds in chicago, close to downtown?! I don't have a car, I am a student - I need something that is accessible by public transit.
The pigeon was sitting out in front of my door in cold, and it did not fly away when I picked it up. I brought it indoors, but it does not seem to be helping it at all. The bird can barely open one eye, it keeps falling down on one side (may be because of its eye) - I have no idea what to do. It could be severely dehydrated...All I know is that this bird needs attention as of yesterday.

Please help me out!!

Dia

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hi Dia.............Thanks for rescuing this injured bird. I'm sure there will be other members along shortely to assist you.

Do not take the bird to the humane society they will more than likely just put it to sleep.

First thing you need to do is get the bird warmed. If you have a heating pad, place it under a towell set on low and place the bird on top of the towell. Secondly the bird does need to be hydrated. You can try giving it some water from an eyedropper on the side of it's beak.....if the bird can drink on it's own it's water dish needs to be deep enough for the bird to suck up the water as it uses it's beak like a straw.

Do you see any aparant injury?.........any blood?

Sounds like the bird might have been hit by a car.

Is it possible for you to post a picture?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Louise,

Thanks a ton for the prompt reply. I have taken all the steps that you outlined as soon as I got the bird home - I read some posts on google, and just followed the instructions of providing heat, water, and placed the bird in a box in a dark corner. But despite my efforts, the bird is not responding at all. I have inspected the bird for any injuries and there are none. Its feet are perfect, its mouth seems to be pink, but it seems to have problems swallowing - almost like it does not want to. Also, the bird cannot keep its balance, it cannot open its right eye, and it keeps falling down.

I have a dog at home, and I cannot leave the two alone - considering I am a student, having the pigeon at home with no one to look after it when I am gone is giving me nightmares! I really need someone who is an expert at rehabilitating birds, this is my first, and I don't want the poor bird dead.

Would you know a rehabilitation group for pigeons in chicago?!

thanks,
dia

·
Registered
911 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Great post, Louise.
You should find what you need, Dia from the list Louise provided.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh thanks Louise! You are an angel!!! The one in downtown will work fabulously! I can drop the poor thing there on my way to school tomorrow...again, thanks and thanks again!

best wishes,
dia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Louise,

I found that flintcreek is at barrington, not in downtown chicago. Would you happen to know if they have a facility in downtown as well? Or if they could do a pick up? You see, I have my university orientation to attend so I am out tomorrow and day after - I am flipping out about the bird being left alone for such long hours! I was hoping that I could drop off the pigeon on my way to the university...

let me know if you know of a facility..thanks again! you have been a great help!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
hi dia, well until someone can find something close for you, can you look in her throat again, open it up and look under a bright light to see if you see any white cheesy stuff in her throat.
have you tried to dip tip of her beak into some water to see if she will drink???
if she drinks, you can get some frozen peas and corn, defrost them in warm water, then pry open her beak and pop one in at a time, she should be able to take a bunch, start with 20, and feel for her crop in her chest above the keel bone.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Superflyer (Michael) is in Chicago and is a rehabber. I'll see if I can call his attention to this thread.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Hi Dia,
From your description (having problems swollowing) it sounds like the bird is possibly suffering from canker (the cheesy stuff in the throat that Altgirl mentioned) and is starving and severely dehydrated, which can cause him to be off balance.
It is also possible for the bird to have canker even if you are unable to see it.
This illness is treatable.

Thank you so much Louise for posting the initial steps for Dia to take. :)
Here is the link to the complete guide to the basic life saving steps.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

Please keep us posted on how the little rescue is doing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Dia my Name is Michael Jehlik I run the Wings of Hope Meetup in Chicago.
I will be driving to Hyde Park at 11 AM. It is possible that I could pick the pigeon up or you could drop her off at University of Chicago. There is an experienced rehabber downtown too. Please give me a call my number is 708-297-5493

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help for Injured and Orphaned Pigeons

Dia,

For future reference, Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation has three locations - Barrington, Chicago and Itasca. The information for all three locations is on our website at http://www.flintcreekwildlife.org. We will be happy to help this pigeon by providing medical care, food and housing until it can be released. We treat all wild birds and most wild mammals.

Our Northerly Island (Chicago) location is accessible via public transportation. We also do some pick ups in downtown Chicago.

Any time you find an injured bird, we suggest you call our main number at (847)842-8000. You may also bring injured birds to our downtown Chicago facility between 8:30 am and 10:30 am daily without an appointment.

Thanks for helping this bird!

Dawn Keller
Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation
www.flintcreekwildlife.org
(847)842-8000

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Dawn - thanks for this valuable information for pigeon rescuers

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts