Pigeon-Talk banner

I found a pigeon today HELP!

5K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  hk22045 
#1 ·
Today we found a Pigeon on our front lawn with a band. It says 50317 Stathclyde Genetics 2005 A.Galbraith. So while searching google I find out this guy is bankrupt and people were setting these birds free. NOW WHAT?! The bird I found is white with a bit of grey on it's head. It has bugs. I gave it a bath in water and Borax (natural detergent) and put some flea & tick powder on it. Had to put some cornstarch on it's wing as it's been injured.

I have it in a cage at the moment. I have 3 birds already and 3 cats. I cannot keep this one. It's very sweet but it's not looking so hot. It's skinny under those fluffy feathers. It's looking very sleepy and has a hard time standing although nothing seems to be wrong with it's feet. I have seed and water in the cage. I did see it eat ONCE but that's it. I had to give the bird water out of the water bottle as it wouldn't take any. I have shown it where it is...so now what. HELP. Who can I call? I'm in Pickering, Ontario. Sigh...I have other birds so I don't want them to get any infections. I'm ok with what to feed it but...is it ok in the cage? I have a "hospital cage" as I call it....so it's in there for now. It has a grate bottom. It won't sit on a perch.

HELP! Who can I call?

#3 ·
Thank you for taking this bird in.
Unfortunately when these birds are set free, they don't know how to fend for themselves.
Cage is fine, food and water (at least 3 inches in a small dish). Pigeons use their beak like a straw and suck water up. Most important to keep him warm.
If you could put a heating pad on low and cover with a towel. Pigeons prefer platforms to perch on. You could roll a small towel for him to perch on.
His injury worries me. What type of injury is it?
Do you have any antibiotics available? Clavamox is best for cuts and punctures. If it is a puncture, especially caused by a cat, you need to start him on some antibiotics as soon as possible. Infection can set in very quickly.
Others will be along with more advise. So keep checking back :)

#5 ·
I have tried to put something under him. He falls over. Then he picks himself up and goes to a corner. He is inside now...and the cage is covered. I mixed seed and grit in one dish and the water is in the other. Grate bottom so poop can drop. He has the runs. Right wing looks like a cat may have gotten at it. Raw flesh and feathers gone on one spot. Other than that, I can't see anything wrong. I do notice one eye closing more than the other. Just wish I knew who to call. I don't want to have to let it go...but I cannot keep it. I need advice as to who I can call in the Durham/Toronto area to take it.

#7 ·
I'm in Maine, but we have members all over. Someone will be along to help that is familiar with your area.
But it is very important to start him on some antibiotics. Cat bites will kill a bird.
And to warm him up. If you can put a heating pad on one side for him to sit on, that will help.
To rehydrate him, you can put a pinch of salt and sugar in his water.
Thank you again for helping him.
I've sent a private message to try to get your post's moved to the appropriate forum. Hang in there.

#9 ·
Ok...I put in a towel. He growled at me...LOL...tough guy. Then he kind of jumped around and is looking much perkier...I woke him up when I put it in. Sorry buddy.

Well, I start my new job tomorrow and I'm not home all day anymore. Will keep him in my room with the door closed while I'm gone tomorrow.

Look forward to hearing from anyone that would know who I could call to take him.
I can be emailed at debbyw@telus.blackberry.net

Thanks!

#11 ·
Please do this to stabalize the bird...

It is vital to stabilize an ill or injured pigeon or dove as soon as possible after rescue.
Three basic steps should be followed.
HEAT, ISOLATION & HYDRATION

HEAT:
A bird must be warmed gradually to a normal body temperature and be responsive (able to swallow). It is not unusual for a baby bird presented for rehabilitation to be very cold. (If a bird is unresponsive, please seek the assistance of an experienced rehabber or avian vet immediately.)

If head trauma is suspected, do not place them on heat.

Give the bird a quick, superficial examination. Unless there is a critical situation, e.g., (severe bleeding) all birds should be covered and placed on a heat source* (see below) for at least 20-30 minutes to bring the body temperature back to normal.

ISOLATION:
Allow the bird to stabilize in a quite, dark, warm area.
While the bird is warming, take the opportunity to prepare any other items you may need to care for the bird, e.g., International Rehydrating Solution (recipe noted below)

A 'COLD' BIRD SHOULD NEVER BE GIVEN FLUID OR FOOD, PERIOD!!

HYDRATION:
Fluids should be given after, and ONLY AFTER, the bird has been warmed, examined for any injuries & a determination is made as to the severity of his dehydration.
All fluids should be warmed or at room temperature!

Description and degrees, of hydrated and dehydrated birds
A well hydrated bird will be very alert, have elastic skin, bright eyes, moist, plump membrane inside the mouth and well formed moist droppings.

A moderately dehydrated bird will be less than fully alert, have dry, flaky skin, dull eyes, non-formed droppings and have a sticky membrane in the mouth.

A severely dehydrated bird will be lethargic or unconscious, the skin will 'tent' when slightly pinched, have sunken eyes, dry or absent droppings and have dry membrane in the mouth.

Depending on the cause and degree of dehydration, reversing this condition can take up to 24 hours. If the bird is alert, he may be rehydrated by mouth, using an eye dropper and putting drops along his beak every few minutes, making sure the fluids are room temperature or warmed slightly. Initially, a rehydrating solution should be administered. Plain water should not be given unless nothing else is available.

If the bird is not swallowing on his own or fully alert, he must be given fluids under the skin (sub-Q method).
WARNING!! This procedure should only be performed by an experienced rehabber or vet.

Please follow these simple, basic, yet most important steps.
The cells of the body simply don't work properly when dehydrated. Absolutely no digestive processes can take place if the gut CAN'T work. Absorption will not take place, food sits in the gut, undigested, and will eventually kill the bird.

* Heat source suggestions:
Towel lined heating pad, set on low
Towel lined hot water bottle
Low wattage lamp, directing the light into the cage.

* Emergency heat source substitute:
Fill an old sock about 2/3 full of rice. Microwave the sock for a few seconds. Making sure it isn't too hot, place it around the bird.

* International Rehydrating Solution:
To a cup of warm water add a pinch of salt & sugar, mix well. Use this solution to rehydrate by mouth.

* Emergency rehydrating substitute:
Pedialyte, unflavored.

By following these basic steps you have done your best to stabilize your little feathered patient until further assistance is available.

Cindy

#16 ·
Had to convert...lol...Canadians...geesh! Ok so 1 quart = 4 cups. No problem. I can do that. He's moving around now and looks brighter after his sleep. I'm hoping he was just exhausted from being out there alone vs. sick. Gee what would we do without the internet now a days!!! Thanks!

#17 ·
I would do this if the bird survives the night...cut the band off with needle nose pliers and take the bird here....
I doubt they will accept it if it is banded.

Southern region, Toronto
416-631-0662
Nathalie Karvonen (Executive Director), Toronto Wildlife Centre
Wildlife Species: Over 200 species have been treated at TWC
Specialties/Knowledge:
Toronto Wildlife Centre's Wildlife Hotline (416-631-0662) handles approximately 30,000
calls per year from members of the public with various concerns about wildlife.
Comments:
Toronto Wildlife Centre is a registered charity,
and is one of the largest wildlife rehabilitation centres
in Canada with veterinarians on staff.

#21 ·
NO....not a thing. It's very difficult to find resources in Canada.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.