Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was walking around my court and found a pigeon that a bit of the felsh around its head was hanging just a bit is there anything i could do?I tried to call the RSPCA but they said that just leave it and i called wildlife SOS and they sed the same thing.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
It sounds as if it has been scalped, there could be other injuries and there is the risk of infection, but you have to weigh this against the possibility that it has young in its nest. On the other hand it could be a youngster.

Was it able to fly? If not, did you pick it up? Is it a feral/City pigeon or a wood pigeon?

This is a link to a thread that I wrote about my "scalped pigeon" find:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=15079&referrerid=560

I gather that you are in the UK, if you decide to nurse the pigeon I can provide you with painkillers and antibiotics. You will also need some Intrasite gel and some sterile saline, both of which are available at Boots without prescription.

If you let us know where you are we might know a rescuer or a sanctuary near by.

BTW never hand a pigeon over to the RSPCA, they destroy them.

Cynthia

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
What a shame. Thank you for your kindness.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Yeah, what a shame indeed that the RSPCA and the WILDLIFE place which has WILDLIFE SOS:eek: in the name, wouldn't bother to try to help. A shame but not a surprise. :mad::(

Thank you for taking in this pigeon and keeping him safe and warm on his last night. :eek:

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I am so sorry. Thank you for helping it. I logged in to the Wildlife Aid site and was pleased to note that they rescue grey squirrels which they have a licence to release, but I also think that this is the place that one of our members told me had no time for pigeons, they probably believe in "nature taking its course" :(.

Cynthia

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is also THE LONDON WILDLIFE HOSPITAL,Beddington Park, Church Road, Wallington, Surrey SM6 7NN.phone 0208 647 6230 open 8pm-7.3o .

This is an excellent place to take sick and injured pigeons and they give as much time and dedication to Feral and Woodies as they give all the other Wildlife.All birds and animals are equally important and the staff are very knowledgeable about our lovely pigeons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.