Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. I sought this forum out because earlier today I found a pigeon. It can't fly but it's not injured. It's missing about 3 primary feathers on its left wing and its tail is pretty featherless. I suspect it's a juvenile from what I've read but then again I'm not an expert. I don't want to take it to the shelter because I believe it doesn't need anything I can't provide and the shelters are already pretty swamped.
What I want to know is how I can take care of it until it's ready to head out into the world. Like, what should be in its cage? What is the best food for it and so on.
I put it in my dog's big crate which I think is suitable. I bought some general pigeon feed at the pet store and I've given it water. Is there anything else I should tend to?
Anyway, here are some photos of this handsome pigeon :D

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Thanks for your care and concern for the needy bird :)
Is this a feral pigeon? He is so beautiful, I don't see such beautiful feral pigeons here. May be from someone loft.
The wings and feathers will grow up.
He will need pigeon /dove seed mix, water and grit. You can buy these things from pigeon supply stores. For his feather growth you can give him vitamins in water, that will help him to grow nice feathers. Also they need calcium+ D3 supplement to strengthen their bones (and also to laying hens) , we give it to them weekly.
A large cage with flat perch will do good for him and during the day you can let him out inside house with doors and windows closed so he doesn't fly outside until completely ready and gets a chance to stretch his wings and fly in house.
But I see a dog there watching him? It would be good if the dog is kept in separate room so he is safe and doesn't get a heart attack too :)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this lovely bird. Great pictures!

Here is a link on caring for young pigeons: http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

Is the bird eating well? If not, it may need to be hand/force fed. Can you check the keel/breast bone and see if it is sharp?

I really think this may be a lost domestic pigeon, not a feral and should not be released to a flock of feral pigeons.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yes that is a domestic not a feral. It would be unlikely that pattern and a crest would be on a domestic. You may have yourself a new pet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are totally right. I did some research and I found out that Donut Madonna (yes, that's his name now haha) is actually an Iranian Toghi pigeon. Brace yourselves, this is going to be a sad story.
I found this website: iranianfancypigeons.com and realized that this breeder is based in Tarzana. Which is where my school is located. I thought, hey I can return this man's pigeon and he's going to be very happy. The breeder, an old Iranian man named Houshang Kazemi. Here's a quote from the website.

"My name is Houshang Kazemi and I am a proud Iranian Fancy Pigeon and Pheasant breeder. I have been raising these beautiful birds for well over a decade and am now proudly sharing them with you and other individuals who are interested in their splendor."

I thought: "great, he seems to really care for his pigeons".
Here's another quote from the website: (There is a point to this story, please keep on reading).
"All of my precious Pigeons and Pheasants are fed with only the best quality of Pigeon and Pheasant feed. Because I care for them so much, the birds are kept in only the best and most healthy condition while preserving their natural growth cycle."

I kept trying to find any contact information so I could contact this man. But then I clicked the home button and saw this:
"While Mr. Hooshang Kazemi has passed on from this world, his abundance of love and inspiration will remain with us forever.

Out of sincere respect for Mr. Kazemi, I will keep this website up as long as possible for his family and friends to view.

-Webmaster"

NOW I'M SO SAD! I was looking forward to making this man happy by returning his pigeon and it turns out he passed away! :(

I guess I'll just keep Donut Madonna as my pet. I really like birds anyway and he seems to be cool with my dog :)
I'm sorry for the long reply, but I needed to share this story.

Can you please tell me if the dog crate is big enough to be his permanent home?
Also, do pigeons like perches and toys?
What else does he need?
I'm going to buy pigeon pants because he likes to roam around the flat and be petted :)

This is why his name is Donut. He looks like one. He is also fabulous and sassy like Madonna :)

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sad to read the story of Mr . Kazemi but thanks you tried to make him happy and his pigeon as well.
Anyways, as you have this beautiful bird with you, I am sure he will be good in your care.
They like flat perches to roost. You can arrange a wooden perch in his cage but remember the perch should be arranged in a way he gets more space to walk around on the other side of perch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts