Pigeon-Talk banner

I found a squab... in the UK, near Manchester

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  PigeonQueen 
#1 · (Edited)
In wigan town centre wondering around crying for its mother, i left it and came back an hour later and it was in a corner crying again. I felt bad and thought it would more than likely die if i left it so its in a box with a teddy and some old pj's. Now i am wondering what to do with it? I've tryed feeding it but no luck so i guess they still feed from there mums at this point?
I really dont want it to die so any help would be appreciated!
Oh and its got feathers but bald spots under its wings and yellowy stringy fluff on its neck and still has what looks like some baby feathers.
x

#2 ·
Where are you located, perhaps we can find some help?

You can feed it thawed and warmed up corn and/or peas (drained) for emergency.

You will have to gently open the beak and put one pea and/or corn to the back of the throat and allow him/her to swallow. He will refuse at first until he knows he is getting fed. We recommend baby bird formula.

#4 ·
Read the info under

Pigeon Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I Found a Pigeon - now what?

Then post some more questions.

Where are you located? There may be some PT members nearby.

Also others will be along to answer other questions you don't find the answers to.

Larry (in Cologne)

#10 ·
Hi Charli,

Now you have the little one I would keep it safe and warm at least for tonight until we can work out how best to help you. Don't let the RSPCA take it though, they will most likely destroy it.

Can you try and keep it warm, either put a hot water bottle in with it but covered with a towel, but make sure it can get away from the heat in case it's too warm. Once it's warm then try as suggested to dip it's beak in some water but make sure you don't cover it's nostrils in the water. Alternatively, just drip some water with a syringe or dropper if you have one, down the side of it's beak, it might sip this way.

As far as food goes, the easiest thing tonight would be to pop a few defrosted peas into it's beak by gently opening it. Also if you have some wholemeal bread, you can roll some up into tiny balls, like a pea size, dipped in water, and pop those into it's beak aswell.

I don't know if it's old enough to feed itself yet, it looks as if it has a good amount of feathers, so if you have any wild bird seed, you could leave a few scattered around him and see if he tries to pick them up. Mind you if he's a street feral, he may not have seen seeds before !!

The main thing is to keep it warm and calm for tonight.

Keep us posted as to how you're getting on and ask any questions you like.

As the others said read up if you have time on the sections about what to do, they will give you a lot of advice.

We'll have to look around to see if there is any help nearer to you.

Keep in touch,

Janet

#11 · (Edited)
Hi Charli,

YOu were right to pick it up, although its parents will probably feed it it will be too vulnerable to survive until it can fly. The RSPCA believes in "letting nature take its course" when it comes to birds...not that they would have the same principles for their families .

You could take it to the Three Owls Sanctuary near Rochdale:

http://www.threeowls.co.uk/

They have (or had) an aviary from which rescue pigeons can fly free during the say, but it is best to double check that they still accept pigeons.

Cynthia

#12 · (Edited)
Hi Charli,

I'm just checking in to see how Piggi is this morning.

Keep us updated on here so if there are any UK members a bit nearer to you, they may know if there are any pigeon friendly rescue places up north if you aren't able to take care of this little one.

Hope all is well,

Janet

Just spotted Cynthia's reply as I posted mine. Look forward to hearing how things are going.

#13 ·
Hey all :)
I woke up this morning expecting her to be dead tbh.
I came to check on her and she was up and more lively, shes now eating off me and looks healthier.
Thankyou so much for all your help! :)
And i will look up the bird santuary thanks cyro51.I think they will be able to take care of her better than i can, even though i've grown really fond of the lil thing.
Thankyou all again.
x

#14 ·
Keep us posted.

There have been others in Manchester who have rescued pigeons, so we can go through the member lists if necessary.

(You can also search, using "Manchester" as a search term). I found someone from several years back in Manchester (or maybe it was Birmingham) for someone last year. (I think they were also beginners -- at least for the first few weeks).

Larry

#15 ·
Hi Charli,

That is great news, you must have the right touch !!

As Cynthia says, do check first with the sanctuary before you hand her over, if you do that is. Best to be sure they are still pigeon friendly and will rehab her and release her only if she is ok.

If she's fine then she will be better off mixing with others of her own kind before finding her way out in the big bad world. They need to learn from others what to eat and where to find it to stand any chance of survival.

Look forward to the next update.

Janet

#18 ·
Take it to the Three Owls Sanctuary, as far as I understand there it will fly free from an aviary but will be sheltered and fed.

It is so difficult to release a rescued baby, there are pigeon haters everywhere so there is no ideal release place.

Cynthia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.