Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regards people,
I am new to this forum, so is the young pigeon which I found today.

He (or she), and I will ask for your help, cause I don't have experience,
I just have parrots in the house.

However, here is the story:

Today, me and my wife rescued one little pigeon from being eaten by one city cat. The pigeon was trying to escape, flying in short sequences low above the ground. Flying few meters is all he is capable (I guess cause it is still baby).
I guess he fell of the nest not so long ago before the cat was there.

Luckily the cat didnt touch him, and also there are no visible injuries.

Now as I said I dont have experience, but I will try to describe how young this bird is:

It has all of its feathers (Complete.)
the growth is "almost" as mature pigeon !
Actually unexperienced person could hardly distinguish this "baby" from grown pigeon.
I was able to tell only by the shape of the beak, and unnoticeable smaller growth.

Its strength is very good actually, legs are strong for jumping, and he also gained strength for clapping wings after we brought it home.

At the moment this guy or girl, is put in a box with a improvised net on top, and we put some unpopped pocorn, some rise, some seeds for budgies and water, (that's all we have in the house, that we can think of - at the moment).

My question is, Will this baby eat by it self at all?? or he still expects his parents to give him food ?????

Can somebody estimate how old(young) this bird is?

Also I dont know what to do and, should I keep him for some time, and how long?

What should I do if I see that he will not eat in the morning???
Should I feed him by hand? and with what?

PS: Its 9 PM now in Skopje, Republic of Macedonia the bird is sleeping now, but what should I do in the morning?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry for my English.

Hope we can help this bird to be strong enough to survive this stressed situation, get well and be able to join his friends out there in the city skies again.

Dejan

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Dejan...thank you for rescuing the pigeon. If it is indeed a baby, you will need to hand feed it until it learns to eat on it's own. Pigeons are supported by their parents with food and taught to eat by the dad.
It would be very helpful if you could post a picture so we can help you determine the age.
I think your English is just fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Charis for the quick reply :)

Good Idea,
only I don't know if I should disturb him with the camera now, or to wait for the morning, cause we put the box in a room which is dark, ....I guess he is sleeping,...

Should I disturb the bird's biorhythm ?? and how "dangerous" is this?:confused:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Looks to be 3 1/2 weeks old. You will need to feed him.
The easiest would be to defrost frozen corn and peas, open the beak and place individual pieces at the very back of the throat. The bird will swallow. You will need to feed 35-40 pieces at each feeding and feed again once the crop has emptied.

In addition, have seed available in a dish more deep than shallow. Before you feed the pigeon, play with the seeds with your fingers and he may just become curious enough to try to pick some up. Even if he does look like he is eating on his own, you will need to continue hand feeding until he is supplying you with plenty of poops each day.

To get him to drink water...gently push the tip of his beak into a deep of water. I push from the back of the head. With luck he will start gulping water. Once they figure out how to drink, eating is not far behind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Charis,

On what time intervals should I give this 35-40 pieces? How many times in the day?

Will he be very very afraid of this hand feeding, at this age?
I don't suppose it will become a house pet afterwards? :) :) :) ???

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need to feed him every time his crop empties. Never add more food it there already is food in the crop. Doing so can create a bacterial infection which can be deadly.

He may be afraid of you in the beginning but he will soon learn that you are daddy.

He sure could become a pet and it wouldn't be so bad. Pigeons make wonderful companions. They are very smart and can live to be 20 years.

We are here to help if you need us.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts

Hi Dejan, the youngster will "let you know" when he or she is done. I would re-feed after a couple or 3 hours. Follow Charis' advice. He will not be afraid of you, as they learn to trust humans especially at such a young age. The pigeon "knows" you are ok and will trust you even more as the days go on.

As far as a housepet, well, that is up to you. I have 9 pet pigeons and they are a joy to have and be around. You can introduce it to a local pigeon flock after he or she matures a bit more. It is your choice.:)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need to get some food into him. What will you call him?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
He didn't eat for quite some time, we found him at 4 PM today, here is 11 pm now ?

Should I wake him up - and feed him now???

so it has been 7 hours without food?????????

Should we eat in the morning or immediately now???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today on the menu we have the following:

1. cooked rise without salt (we made this for our budgies today)
2. uncooked rise
3. unpoped popcorn seeds
4. milled grain
5. peas are from the can - (so I dont think so?)
6. barley Flakes

what will you suggest?

Thanks for being here to all of you!!

PS: the new daddy is a bit excited so - I guess the name will be given at a later time :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can you get frozen corn and peas?
Do you have any dry dog food?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
You can just wait till am to feed him, but waking the bird up now will be fine. Ummmm, I noticed white rice spilled on the surface. Pigeons do best with brown rice when they are more mature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ummmm, I noticed white rice spilled on the surface. Pigeons do best with brown rice when they are more mature.
So you say, white is not good, and for brown rice he is still young ????

Cause we have brown rice at the moment.

We have cooked and not cooked brown rice. ...or none is good?:confused:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts