Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I’m new to this community and to the pigeons world and I need your help. I found these two abandoned baby pigeons and I brought them home with me. They’re currently in a box with some topsoil and food ( the owner of the pet store gave me canary’s food ). They survived the night and they’re okay, they’re calm and quiet, but they look a little scared. I don’t know what to do. I’m not even sure they ate the food I gave them. Also, they can’t fly… and I’m not planning on keeping them as pets, but I’d love to help them survive. Can someone tell me what to do ?

- I took the first picture before taking them home with me, the second one this morning as soon as I checked in on them -

Bird Beak Stock dove Feather Grey
Brown Wood Comfort Floor Flooring

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hi! Welcome to PT and thanks for helping them!

Are they drinking on their own? If not, you can show them water by dipping their beak (not over the nostrils) into a small bowl of water, if they don't understand at the first try do that again. Leave always available a water bowl. If you can get a vitamin supplement you can add it to the drinking water.

You could add to the canary mixture a dove or pigeon mixture (I know, it's not very easy to find that in Italy). In case you can't find it you could add a wild bird mixture. You can even add dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can buy at supermarket) like mung beans, small lentils and split peas.
As they are still young (as you can see they still have the yellow feathers on their head) maybe they could not be able to eat on their own. Try to put a large variety of seeds of different sizes and shapes into a flower pot saucer and tap your finger between them (imitating a bird who is pecking at food). You can understand if they are eating by checking their poops. I add a pic of a good poop so you can compare it with their poops.
If they are not able to eat on their own you need to handfeed them. We will be glad to explain you how to do that. Are you going to do that alone or someone could help you?

When I rescue a new bird I always check the mouth/throat with a flashlight. If you see any whitish or yellowish growths/material or notice a bad smell there is something wrong. Please check them and let us know if everything is ok (the mouth should be pink and clear).

Where did you find them? Have you checked their bodies for injuries (sometimes they are difficult to find because hidden by feathers)?

It's normal that they are scared. Could you maybe move them into a cage (one for rodents work well)?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi! Welcome to PT and thanks for helping them!

Are they drinking on their own? If not, you can show them water by dipping their beak (not over the nostrils) into a small bowl of water, if they don't understand at the first try do that again. Leave always available a water bowl. If you can get a vitamin supplement you can add it to the drinking water.

You could add to the canary mixture a dove or pigeon mixture (I know, it's not very easy to find that in Italy). In case you can't find it you could add a wild bird mixture. You can even add dried legumes (the ones for humans that you can buy at supermarket) like mung beans, small lentils and split peas.
As they are still young (as you can see they still have the yellow feathers on their head) maybe they could not be able to eat on their own. Try to put a large variety of seeds of different sizes and shapes into a flower pot saucer and tap your finger between them (imitating a bird who is pecking at food). You can understand if they are eating by checking their poops. I add a pic of a good poop so you can compare it with their poops.
If they are not able to eat on their own you need to handfeed them. We will be glad to explain you how to do that. Are you going to do that alone or someone could help you?

When I rescue a new bird I always check the mouth/throat with a flashlight. If you see any whitish or yellowish growths/material or notice a bad smell there is something wrong. Please check them and let us know if everything is ok (the mouth should be pink and clear).

Where did you find them? Have you checked their bodies for injuries (sometimes they are difficult to find because hidden by feathers)?

It's normal that they are scared. Could you maybe move them into a cage (one for rodents work well)?
Hi! Thank you for your help. The pigeons are doing pretty fine right now. They’re not scared anymore and they’re often jumping out of the box, spreading and flapping their wings. Unfortunately, in my country the majority of people hates pigeons so it’s very difficult to find supplies to take care of them. I think they’re eating the seeds though, since I’ve seen them pecking yesterday afternoon and this morning as soon as they woke up. I don’t really feel comfortable touching them, because I’ve heard that pigeons could transmit diseases to humans, plus I’ve never owned a bird before so I’m not an expert.
I’ve found them in the balcony of my old house, they were on the hot water heater which would have burned them once turned on. There was no nest, everything was just very dirty and we had to clean everything. Their mother never showed up while I stayed there, so I decided to bring them home with me. Also, I don’t have rodents cage and at the moment I can’t purchase one. But I’ve noticed that they are comfortable in the box, since every time they jump out of it and start exploring, then they always go back inside. I’ve seen the picture you sent me and I think their poop is the same, it looks the same. I could try to hand feed them, even though I don’t really know how it works and I don’t know what kind of food I could give them other than seeds. I could try to add some legumes though. Thank you for all your help!

also, here’s a picture of the current situation. There’s some topsoil in their box and the seeds I added this morning. They don’t hide when they see me anymore and they look relaxed. Earlier, the darkest one flew a little in the balcony, while the other one is shier.

Bird Wood Beak Flooring Floor

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thanks for the update. Thanks to you for rescuing them!

I'm glad to hear that they are doing well. Being active is a good sign 👍.

If the poops look like the one in the pic it means that they are eating on their own so, don't worry, you don't need to hand feed them.

Don't worry, you can't catch a disease by touching a pigeon. Unfortunately there are a lot of prejudices and misinformation about pigeons. Just wash your hands as you would do with a cat or a dog or after coming back home from any place.
Once my grandpa got injured by his own cat Zeus and got an infection... His hand was very swollen and he had to take antibiotics...

I'm Italian too and I know that it's very complicated to find supplies for pigeons. Fortesan had a good pigeon mixture but then it changed into Arcaplanet.... Well, I stopped to buy there...no more products for my birds....

You could put their seeds into a flower pot saucer (or a cat bowl) and put some paper (like newspapers, etc) and paper towels or a puppy pad trainer into the box. It will be easier for you to keep the box clean. It will be even more "hygienic" for them (poops and seeds mixed with topsoil is not very good).

As you don't want to keep them, when they will be older you can think about a soft release (before releasing them you need to be sure that they are able to eat seeds/legumes of different sizes and shapes and that they are able to fly in a good way). Don't let him fly in your balcony (unless it's closed): if accidentally he flies away it could be impossible for you to catch him. He is still too young for being outside.

Keep us updated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts