Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got this egg in the inkabater its been in there since april 24 2009 and i need to know how/what to feed it and how long it takes to hatch im clueless i dont know what to do can u help me i want to keep as out side pet wit chickens plz help

·
Registered
7 Posts
it is fertilte it is moving but i need to know how long it takes to hatch bc i hatch chickens out the inkabeter i just want to know how long it takes to hatch and what to feed it i need quote asap

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
it is fertilte it is moving but i need to know how long it takes to hatch bc i hatch chickens out the inkabeter i just want to know how long it takes to hatch and what to feed it i need quote asap
PIGEONS ARE NOT LIKE CHICKENS, THEY CANNOT BE HATCHED FROM AN INCUBATOR (without proper humidity and temperature, 18 days if done correctly....(READ ABOVE LINKS) AND THEY DON'T EAT ON THEIR OWN, THEY NEED PARENTS OR A LICENSED AND EXPERIENCED PIGEON REHABBER.

·
Registered
822 Posts
A fertile egg, WITH its parent birds, takes about 18 days from laying to hatch. I have no idea how long (or what the likelihood of) having a hatch in an incubator would take. Please understand, tho, that chickens hatch pretty much able to feed themselves. Pigeon babies are entirely helpless for quite a while and Pigeon parents feed "crop milk" to their young for several weeks before the babies are even able to negotiate a seed. That means you need to prepare now to be ready to provide for a baby as soon as the egg hatches (IF it hatches).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
ok i got this egg in the inkabater its been in there since april 24 2009 and i need to know how/what to feed it and how long it takes to hatch im clueless i dont know what to do can u help me i want to keep as out side pet wit chickens plz help

18 - 21 days to hatch, if the egg is fertile this will hatch between today to friday
Pigeon feed from a local petstore (I feed my breeders with chix pellets, to boost the babies size and weight)
Build a small coop or put the pigeon in a temporary cage...

Good luck to you...

·
Registered
822 Posts
18 - 21 days to hatch, if the egg is fertile this will hatch between today to friday
Pigeon feed from a local petstore (I feed my breeders with chix pellets, to boost the babies size and weight)
Build a small coop or put the pigeon in a temporary cage...

Good luck to you...
Even if this egg does hatch, it'll be quite awhile before Pigeon Feed will be of any use. Get some Kaytee Exact Baby Bird Formula ... and syringes for feeding .... but others with more experience will have to tell you if this is sufficient for NEWLY hatched birds, too.

It will also be awhile before a loft or cage is needed. If the egg hatches, it must be kept warm ... continuously. Of course, IF a cage is needed, it needs to be there, ready for occupancy.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree on that Wolfwood...But I'm only suggesting the local pet store for grown birds...I think they carry some Kaytee food for baby birds too...I haven't take a baby pigeon less than 5 days old (yet)...I know what you're saying, he/she want to know what to feed the baby pigeon when it hatch and what to do after and so on, as I read most of the time here, they give baby pigeon Kaytee food...

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok the bird is peacking on the egg i am thinking that it should hatch within 24 hours max ok it is doing good so far i just want to know (i read somewhere that if u boil a egg and grind the white up wit a little water it is just like pigeon milk is that true do i feed it time it come out shell or wait till it dries off?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
OK. Sounds like you've got your self a new baby pigeon and now there's nothing that anyone can do about that but try to help you keep it alive.
You need to READ and DO what the instructions tell you to do. It is VERY hard to keep a new baby pigeon alive.....not impossible, but it's going to take a LOT of work on your part.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=9918

You should wait an hour or so and let the baby dry before you try feeding it. PLEASE get what you need BEFORE this baby hatches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok the egg hatched and i think it is a little early because it still has a little yoak at the but still. what should i do. im 23 years of age and a male i am just a little confused just dont know what to do i really want to hand raise this pigeon so bad

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
ok the egg hatched and i think it is a little early because it still has a little yoak at the but still. what should i do. im 23 years of age and a male i am just a little confused just dont know what to do i really want to hand raise this pigeon so bad
The baby will absorb the yolk into it's body. Don't try to remove it from the egg. It will do that on it's own.
Have you read any of the links provided???

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
yea but every 2 hours is a lot i got to work will every 4 hours be fine?
UMMM..........I think we told you that this was going to be a LOT of work? You wanted to be a pigeon parent.........well, you got it. ;)
If you want that baby to live, you're going to have to take the place of it's parents and do what THEY would do if it was with them. Sorry....but that's how it works.
For the first 8 or so days of a baby pigeons life, one of the parents is with it 24/7..........
I guess do the best you can, but don't be surprised if it doesn't go well.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
ok i cant get to a pet store rite now what else can i feed it that i mite have in a house?
Baby cereal? There's not much, if anything that you can feed a baby this tiny and if you don't feed it, it will not live through the night. :(
Where are you? What time is it there? You've been on the computer off and on for the past 6 hours..........you were told a long time ago to read and get what you need.
You really have no idea how frustrating this is to those of us who are trying to help you and can't..............

1 - 20 of 26 Posts