Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My friend brought me a baby pigeon (they know I love pigeons and amimals) that they resqued off a balcony at their apt complex, where a cat was stalking it. There were no detectable injury.

This was the morning of July 22, three days ago. We have given it a first name of Dodo. (Second name to come later). I began feeding Dodo with Kaytee Extract through a syringe, with a 3 inch length of silicon tube attached, directly into the crop. I read about how to do this on a web site with a diagram. I fed 3 times a day 6 ml. I kept worrying the tube is too rough or I insert it too far, so this morning I began feeding with some rubber secured at the cut off end of the syringe. This works great and I will do this from now on.

I keep Dodo in a cardboard box with hand towels under and one over for warmth. The room is about 78 degrees. This morning I put in a rice filled sock and am heating it some in the microwave every hour. I will get a heating pad later as I don't have one.

Dodo is active and alert, flaps and squeaks for food with gusto. I have looked at the Speedpigeon site's photos and I think Dodo was 9 days old when we got her(?). She weighed about 4 oz. on my food scale (110grm) yesterday and the same today.

My main worry is that the crop is not emptying. I can always feel some baggy/bulging on the low chest under the throat. How do I tell if the crop is empty or empty enough to feed again? I even feel the baggyness first thing in the morning. Also I need to know if I am feeding often enough, and what is the right amount per feeding to give. I keep worrying I give too much or too little.

I want to do everything I can to help little Dodo. What a sweet little bird I am blessed with the chance to help. Hope this was not too long.

Thanks in advance.
Marjorie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How to tell?

How do I tell if the crop is empty?

I have not fed Dodo since 7 am. It is 9:25 now.

There is less baggyness but still some.

I have a heat pad now. It is on low, Dodo is on a towel on pad with a towel over her too.

Thanks,

Marjorie

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Have you felt the crop? If it's empty you won't be able to feel any food.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The crop is located below the throat an above the keel bone which is in the center of the bird.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have felt the crop after it is full, but I am not sure what it feels like when it is all empty.

There is some skin that is baggy there. It is much less than before.

How will it feel when empty? Will there be any baggy skin?

Thanks

Marjorie

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Yes...there can be baggy skin if the crop has stretched out. Is the baby pooping? Is the baby squeaking for food?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It will feel flat when empty. It can be baggy and be empty.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Poops several times a day...like 15 or so?
I would feed her if she is acting okay. I'm going to recommend another feeding method that may be easier for you to tell id she has food in her crop. Remember...it's very important to only feed when the crop has emptied. If the crop doesn't empty or becomes slow to empty, you can feed her 5 cs of warmed applesauce for human babies. Usually it will get a slow crop moving because it changes the ph balance.

Here are my pre-written feeding instructions...

You can hand feed defrosted peas. I use the petite ones. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps because you are having a hard time handling the pigeon, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. This method confines the pigeon without hurting him and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop a pea at the back of the mouth and over the throat. It gets easier and faster, with practice, for both you and the bird.
You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding [depending on the size of the pigeon] and every time the crop empties until you know the baby is eating on his own. After a couple of feedings, most squeakers get the hang of it, pick up the peas on their own and naturally transition into a seed diet.
The crop is located below the throat and above the keel bone, which is in the center of the bird. When full, it fills like a little balloon and feels lumpy from the peas.

In addition to the peas,one time a day, put a small pinch of powdered oyster shell, which you can buy at most pet stores, will supply the calcium the baby needs to support bone health.You sprinkle it on the peas. You can also feed formula for one feeding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crop questions

When hand feeding with liquid mix,

How full should the crop be after a feeding?

How do you tell if you have overfilled or under filled the crop?

How long should it take for the crop to empty?

What does it feel look like when crop is empty?

How do you tell when the crop has become stretched and the bird needs further intervention to help it heal and be able to eat again?

The little baby pigeon I am caring for is about 14 days old. I am hoping a few responses will help me to get a better idea on how judge/know when and how much to feed. I have looked around the internet at pics/vids and read discriptions. I am still unsure. I am worried about this little bird.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would help, except I need the answer to that qeustion myself, lol, srry. but someone should respond soon, I'm new here, but I notice there are usually responses within the same day, althoguh I posted and that hasn't got a response today.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Marjorie...from the weight you gave me last night, you should not be feeding anymore than 12 ccs of formula at a time. Once that amount is in the crop, feel that. As the baby grows, you will gradually increase the amount of formula.
I do think the crop is stretched out. Have you tried making the crop bra? It's amazing how quickly they help. When the crop is stretched, not all the food can empty and the bird can get a bacterial infection.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update

Dodo is doing well! Her (his?) crop has been emptying after every feeding for the last 2 days. I am so happy!! =D

A short list of things that helped:

A heating pad on low.

Baby food applesause.

Waiting for crop to empty.

Feeding defrosted warmed peas.

Feeding food at Dodo's body temp.

Using a crop bra.

Several conversations with a wonderful and knowledgeable bird caretaker.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Questions on treating Candidiasis

Dodo is about 32 days old. I have had her since July 22. I took her to the vet a week ago (avian vet) he said her crop was thickened that she has Candidiasis and to feed her kaytee formula while it healed. He perscribed ketoconazole suspention mg/ml. The bottle says' give 0.05 ml by mouth once a day (every 12 hours). When I called in they clarified every 24 hours.

So yesterday at her followup she got the ok to go back to seeds. (Her crop has been slow most of the time I have had her.) She ate yesterday about noon. She still has about half the seeds she ate yesterday in her crop, it is 10am here, so 22 hours later.

So I have questions about if her Candidiasis might need more time and medicine to heal. If I take her back in, they will want to run tests to see what else may be wrong. Before I get into that extra expence, I want to be sure the Candidiasis has been well treated. She hws always been acitve alert and hungry, not appeared ill, so I am not worried about taking a little more time to treat the Candidiasis.

She weighed 108 grams when she went to the vet last week. Today she weighs 126 grams. Does anyone have advice on treating her for longer? What is the right dose of the medicine I have? And especially, I have been concerned she may miss most of a dose sometimes because it is so small I cant really tell if it has mostly gone down or just gone out the side of her beak. Any ideas?

Thanks, Marjorie

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Marjorie,

If this is the very same baby you want to discuss in the other threads, you need to keep all updates and health issues on the one bird in one thread, so we all have the history on this baby and what already has been done so we can rule out the treatments already given or needed to be repeated.

If this is the case, I will merge all threads together.

Have you tried putting a drop of organic apple cider vinegar in the formula? That can resolve a lot of issues, and get the PH back on track. Also, at this age the youngster should be weaned to a pigeon seed, starting with smaller seeds- once it is better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.