Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, im worried about this pigeon i just found in my garden! it seems to have been in a fight because theres feathers every where! the pigeons wing is hanging down and theres blood all over the wing! apart from that he seems to be able to walk around fine! I did try to catch him last night but he was getting realy frightend and upset and flapping everywhere so i left it! in case I caused him further damage! I have put some trays of bird seed, cat food & water out hoping that it will help him keep his strength up! hes now resting under a bush! and walking around only now and again!

Do you think I should leave him be or try again to catch him againI just dont want him to use all his strength and possibly injuring himself while trying to get away!

Thanks guys

A man with a poorly pige

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
Please do catch the bird and bring him inside. If you have a small animal kennel that would be a perfect thing to put him in. If not that, an over turned laundry basket will work.
If the wing is broken, the bird is an easy target for a predator and he probably has escaped an hawk or cat just now. That creature may still be on the hunt for him. After you have him secure, we can advise you further.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

Well, the only way to really help him is to catch him and put him somewhere safe in a cardboard box or a cage. He may get stressed but it may also save his life.

Do you know what kind of pigeon - e.g., a feral 'street pigeon' or wood pigeon? They have somewhat different temperaments - ferals are far less readily stressed.

It is quite possible this bird could have been injured by a cat, in which case it will need antibiotics soon as poss.

Can you let us know what area you are located?

John

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Robbie,

We have a member near you, I have e-mailed her to see if she can help in any way.

You could also telephone Wildlife Rescue (Burton-on-Trent)
07780742748. They might be able to collect it, maybe catch it if you can't

It sounds as if it cold have been hawked, which requres antibiotics. If it is a woodie try to moveslowly and smoothly, no sudden movements, so that it doesn't get too startled. Avoid looking at it straight in the eyes, that makes them very uncomfortable !

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi,

I'm in Little Aston Nr Aldridge/ Sutton. I'll give you my mobile if you need me to help you catch it I'll drive over and get it.

O7775592566,,
Janet

Keep us posted. Thanks for trying to help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hi Robbie,

We have a member near you, I have e-mailed her to see if she can help in any way.

You could also telephone Wildlife Rescue (Burton-on-Trent)
07780742748. They might be able to collect it, maybe catch it if you can't

It sounds as if it cold have been hawked, which requres antibiotics. If it is a woodie try to moveslowly and smoothly, no sudden movements, so that it doesn't get too startled. Avoid looking at it straight in the eyes, that makes them very uncomfortable !

Cynthia
Follow Cynthia's advice and then CATCH him, this is a woodie! They are different behavioral birds then feral pigeons.

Thank you for helping him.

i would not leave any cat food out with him out there as that will attract cats.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Thank you, Janet! :)

Robbie, it is a woodie. And they have a tendency to panic and flap around a lot. Just be slow, firm and gentle. The main thing is that it needs to be caught. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its at the back of my shed at the moment! still sitting on that plant pot!

I just called janet and shes gonna come help me catch him! and hopfully she can help him! .......hes still sitting peacefully! got my net and a box ready! i'll keep you posted!

Thanks guys

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Janets just came to my house and we caught him pretty quickly and now janets put him in a box and took him away!

I feel better now knowing the birds in good hands!

Thanks a lot for that janet! :) hope you can help the little fella back to good health :D

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
That is wonderful! Thank you both so much for saving her (she looks like a hen to me!).

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Robbie,

Well just got home and letting 'her' settle down before I give her a good look over.

The wing looks very bloodied and there is a wound around the chest but not sure how old it is. Will report back once I've bathed it and had a look through the rest of it's feathers.

Well Robert is a dab hand with a fishing net :) and so she didn't get too stressed being chased around.

Thanks for caring and taking the trouble to look for help.

Rob obviously wants to know how things go so I'll keep you posted on here if you like as we go along.

Janet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats wonderfull janet, yes we caught it pretty quickly! good thing it was in a good position to trap! a lot better then my attempt last night hehe! :)

Yes that wound looks very nasty and sore! :( must be very painfull for the poor little might!

Thank you for coming and helping me catch it! I would'nt have known how to handle her! I never held a wild bird before!

Thanks for letting me know I look forward to hearing to how she gets on!

thanks

Rob

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi,

Well it's a very serious compound break by the looks of it. The poor bird has a puncture wound in the wing and it feels unstable in the centre but there is a big bone protruding from the top of the wing, the Carpal joint I think it's called.
Unfortuantely it maybe a couple of days old and so I don't know if this could be fixed, and try telling a Woodie not to flap it's wing because it keeps coming back out every time it does.

I've given it some Aconite and Metacam to try a help with shock and pain but she is very badly bruised.

I'm going to attempt some sort of splint and try a strap the wing for now in an attempt to stop the bone protruding.

Janet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello, ohh that must be painfull! Well I would say it happend yesterday afternoon! because when I got back home about 5 we seen a pile of feathers in our garden! so it must have been attacked then! Also theres a couple of other pigeons who come in the garden to eat the seed I put out! but one of the pigeons seems very aggressive to the others and pecks them! So I dont know if that could have done anything!

Well at least shes in good hands im sure you will do everything you can!
thanks for letting me know!

Rob

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Poor little thing! They are so stoic, but I am certain that they feel pain just as we do.

Have you got enough antibiotics to treat it, Janet? If you start a course I can put a top up in the post on Tuesday.

Cynthia

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.