Pigeon-Talk banner

i have a problem!!!

2K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  wolfwood 
G
#1 ·
ok i have a mourning dove that a friend found that was injured. Its wing was broke from getting hit by a snow plow outside, so they helped it back to health and made it so it wasn't in so much pain by caring for it. Well she's better now...but she has a broken wing, and i don't know what to do to fix a broken wing. I named her 'Mai'. She has a cut on the top of her wing as well that has been almost tooken care of to where its fully healed. But, i don't know what else to do. Please help!!!

#2 ·
Hi Dove Love...
How sweet for ALL of you to care so much... Welcome to PT.

A few things;
Could you list your location so everyone knows where you are located.. Others with experience will be along to help, but in the meantime could you post a picture as well. IT may help Them to see it ..... Also how long ago since your friend found Mai?? And how did she come about the broken wing...???

Hang tight... others will be along to help.;)

#5 ·
I don't know much about broken wings, but I do know that these birds heal pretty fast and I would venture to guess that after three months, it is what it is and I doubt there's anything that can be done to fix the wing.
Why would you think the bird might die? After three months......unless there's something else going on, I expect it will be fine. Non-flying for the rest of it's life more than likely, but otherwise, fine.
I also believe that it's against some law or other to "keep" a mourning dove........however, I would suspect that if it's turned over to a rehabber, it will be put down.
Of course, this is all speculation on my part.........so keep an eye on the thread and see what the "experts" say............that would NOT be me....;)

#7 ·
So my next question is are you willing to give her a home for the rest of her life and care for her? Do you have a cage where she can be kept AWAY from the dog? It would be horrible for this to go down the road you've already traveled......

And again, I urge you to post pictures of this lil' one... it would be most helpful.
Also are allllllll and I mean ALL of her open wounds healed now or NO??

#8 ·
Also... I am trying to find the laws on the Mourning Dove for your area.... Do you have any wildlife rehabbers in your area that you are aware of, that you could ask? Also I am going to direct someone to this thread who can help... I'll post back shortly.

#13 ·
yea, you don't want to have the dog around where you are keeping her, that can be very stressful esp for a wild bird. can you lock the dog in the bathroom or something, just wondering about the wait part....the doggie can only go out at a certain time?

#14 · (Edited)
How long ago was the wing broken?

#16 ·
Can we see a picture of the cut on the wing?

#17 ·
well no just wen she has to go to the bathroom or wants out...she was sleeping...and i took a pic of the wound but the posting is what i cant do...i took a pic of the wing and when i did i noticed here beak, near the begging close to the eye it looks pinkish-red...not sure y though

#23 · (Edited)
In the mean time we need you to keep this lil' one safe...

perhaps in the bathroom on the counter in its cage, so the dog won't be tempted, and so not to stress the bird anymore than she is. Give her a dish of water that has at least 2 inches in depth as doves suck their water up like a straw. And maybe a little heat by means of a heating pad on the lowest setting WITH a towel over it.... make sure that she an move Away from the heat or Off of it if she wants to. Is she eating and drinking?

And can you tell us exactly how your friends took care of her when she first got injuried? Did they clean it ( the wound).... use anything???

Also please tell us a town that is located near you as we are trying to locate you some help... Thanks...;) you can PM that to me if you feel more comfortable that way...

#24 ·
i dont know wat pm means....but they did clean the wound with neosporin i think for an antibiotic so it isnt infected because the bird wouldnt let them touch her barely at all...uhh she has water and has been eating...but has a problem with normal cage feeders that you put on the side of a cage....and my profile pic is of her wing...she does seem to drink alittle..and the town is warren

#25 · (Edited)
Alright... I have posted for some more help... On a different thread and asked for anyone who could help in finding a rehabber to post here. I know that our members will extend a hand. With all that said, You could make some calls to local wildlife societies and vets and ask for someone to help you out....... (That needs to be done)

I am hoping for others members to help out here and I know that they will so CHECK THIS THREAD... often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.