Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to doves. Recently acquired or shall I say rescued a mated pair of Ring neck doves and one of their offspring. These birds were living in complete filth. Anyway, The mated pair laid 2 eggs and took very good care of them. My question is, how are the birds supossed to look now? They were hatched June 6th and 8th. The younger one was much smaller and took longer to learn to eat seeds, but they are both eating quite well, I separated them from their parents yesterday and I am concerned about their weight. They look kinda lanky to me, not much fat on their breast bones. Is this a normal stage they go through or do I need to add other foods to their diet? They are eating a mixture of high quality finch, canary food , millet and raw oatmeal, vitamin added to their water. They look good, as far as the amount of feathers they have but they look skinny to me (compaired to their mom and dad). I have been reading up on them and have not come across any info on what they should look like at this age. How soon would I need to separate them so they do not breed. I think they are a male and female but not sure yet.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Can you post some pics of them?
Their diet sounds good you can also add a more dove specific diet. You can find dove foof at Dr. Fosters and Smith website. They have Kaytee Dove fortified seeds. Also make sure they have calcium and vit.D supplemets.
You don't have to worry about separating them until they are 4-5-6 months old.

Reti

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I am new to doves. Recently acquired or shall I say rescued a mated pair of Ring neck doves and one of their offspring. These birds were living in complete filth. Anyway, The mated pair laid 2 eggs and took very good care of them. My question is, how are the birds supossed to look now? They were hatched June 6th and 8th. The younger one was much smaller and took longer to learn to eat seeds, but they are both eating quite well, I separated them from their parents yesterday and I am concerned about their weight. They look kinda lanky to me, not much fat on their breast bones. Is this a normal stage they go through or do I need to add other foods to their diet? They are eating a mixture of high quality finch, canary food , millet and raw oatmeal, vitamin added to their water. They look good, as far as the amount of feathers they have but they look skinny to me (compaired to their mom and dad). I have been reading up on them and have not come across any info on what they should look like at this age. How soon would I need to separate them so they do not breed. I think they are a male and female but not sure yet.
Thanks for your help!

a seed diet can lack calcium and protein.. I would use a feed just for doves which has more legumes in the mix. I fed my doves Harrison's high potency fine organic pellets and they really liked them and they too where in poor shape when they came to me from being on an all seed diet..with the Harrison's they were of good weight and and looked so much healthier and the moult was short. You can also add the harrison's pellet in with a dove grain/legume mix, you may want to look up the harrison's and read about the product online. As far as seperating them there is no reason to, if you get cock and hen use fake eggs, which you should already have for the parent birds...or boil their real ones and use those for them to sit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I give them finely ground osyter shell grit in their seed mix. I actually mixed 3 different brands of seeds all three are vitamin enriched plus I add vitamins to their water, but will try your suggestions. no I dont have fake eggs but will get some, mommie bird laid 2 more fertile eggs, 1 -2 days ago and one this morning. where would I find fake eggs? Attaching a pic of younger chick, she began turning yellow yesterday, his sibling is turning that beigeish color, is this normal. Mommy is solid white, daddy is ringneck.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I give them finely ground osyter shell grit in their seed mix. I actually mixed 3 different brands of seeds all three are vitamin enriched plus I add vitamins to their water, but will try your suggestions. no I dont have fake eggs but will get some, mommie bird laid 2 more fertile eggs, 1 -2 days ago and one this morning. where would I find fake eggs? Attaching a pic of younger chick, she began turning yellow yesterday, his sibling is turning that beigeish color, is this normal. Mommy is solid white, daddy is ringneck.
you want the grit to be seperate they eat that as they feel the need.. they do not always eat it..but at some points they do. if they ingest too much grit they could get constipated.. the seeds sound fine. and of course just because they lay eggs does not mean you have to let all of them hatch... use fake eggs for them to sit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts