Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let them out at noon and it's 5:00pm and they are still out, they have been flying around my house since I let em out, finally they went up on the roof (2 story) and they've been up there the last hour and a half. They have been fed, I think that's the reason why they're out. If they don't come back in the loft before night fall should I worry about them?? It's just 2 of them (the only ones I have)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Helllo!

Yep most likely the reason why they are up there.
And if they haven't came down yet by now... They might not know their boundaries very well yet.
If your in any place like mine, issues with leaving them out at night:
- cats
- raccoons
- opossums
- large owls
- hawks (hawks hunt very early... As soon as day light breaks surface)
- bad weather
- snakes

If they are out still... Then if possible you might want to get them into their loft.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Have they been in their loft for 4-6 weeks at least and so they know the area they live in?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're safe

Any update, Tom???

Lure them in with other pigeons by caging them near the trap door
As soon as the sun started going down they came back in on their own. Today I let them out on an empty stomach at around 9:30 and 2 hours later they came back in. Another question. They've only been flying around my house, will they fly farther away on their own or do I have to release them myself? I'm kinda afraid that they won't know their way back. They've been locked up for almost 2 months now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lol I love how you wrote your post Tom. I only have 2 of them, will they come back?? haha

I read that if they are feral pigeons they will find their way back within 50 KM range. True homing pigeons will fly to return over 400 miles or more.

Can you please post pictures of your pigeons?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
That's great news, Tom.
Fly them daily with empty crops and train them to respond to feed call. If you have time you can train them twice daily in the mornings and evenings. They need to explore the area on their own and get familiar with it before toss training. Then when they start to route on their own means they disappear when flying for several mins then come then they're ready to be packed, taken and let go from distances starting from 2 miles.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Don't scare them or force fly them. Before you know it they will be routing. Just keep training them on the feeding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol I love how you wrote your post Tom. I only have 2 of them, will they come back?? haha

I read that if they are feral pigeons they will find their way back within 50 KM range. True homing pigeons will fly to return over 400 miles or more.

Here are the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

and some more

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Tossing those birds is not a good idea, just loft fly them. If you want them to fly chase them a little but be careful because those are two different breeds of birds which don't fly well. I personally would not be chasing them at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tossing those birds is not a good idea, just loft fly them. If you want them to fly chase them a little but be careful because those are two different breeds of birds which don't fly well. I personally would not be chasing them at all.
I know the white one's a fantail;
what breed is the other one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks feral to me from the picture.
Being the breeds they are, will they fly far on their own?
By flying far I mean not just roaming around my house, but actually getting some lift and constant flying for a few minutes at a time. Cause I've seen pigeons that loft fly but actually get up and fly high, not just hop from loft to roof.
Mine have been free for 2 days now and they've been just roaming around my house. If the problem is the breeds I have; what can I do to help it? (By roaming around I mean they just go from the loft to the wire pole to the neighbor's roof and then back home....... I would appreciate your answer..... thanx

·
Registered
247 Posts
The feral might fly well if you chase it. But a bird flying single is dangerous for preditors . The Fantail will not fly well if at all they are built for show. Each breed of bird is bred for different reasons show, homing, rolling Ect.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Can you post a closer pic of the other bird as you posted of the fantail.
Fantails can't fly well and are easy hawk targets. They are show birds not performing ones.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Very beautiful birds btw, may I know how you got them? Did you rescue them or bought them? I totally understand you worrying about them getting lost.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's great news, Tom.
Fly them daily with empty crops and train them to respond to feed call. If you have time you can train them twice daily in the mornings and evenings. They need to explore the area on their own and get familiar with it before toss training. Then when they start to route on their own means they disappear when flying for several mins then come then they're ready to be packed, taken and let go from distances starting from 2 miles.
i lost my two pigeons overnight about 2 hrs ago. i made a mistake by letting them out 1 hour before sunset. last time i saw them they were flying over a 2 story house about 5 houses away from mine. Tey've been flying and trapping for 4 days now. I'm pretty sure they are not farther than 5 blocks away from my house. the reason why they stayed out is because it was getting dark when i let them out+i let them out like a block away from my house (which i had done before and they came back just fine) if no predators get to them what are my chances of them coming back tomorrow?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts