Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Last time I saw my male pigeon Phil was April 3rd when I let him out; he is 3 years old, has always been free to fly ( usually back in a day or so) could he have joined a flock? Mating with a female? Is it possible he could return when mating season is over?
I really miss him, just hope he's ok..this is the only forum I can find that might offer me some insight, everythjng else on the net is about pigeon removal- really unfortunate

Thank you

·
Registered
886 Posts
I feed seeds and natural remedies to a local flock of pigeons. Sometimes a bird is ill or injured, so I try to catch them and bring them home for care, then I release them when they are well. I know those birds by sight because we live together for a time, so it is usually easy to spot them in the large group of birds after they are released. Several times now, I have noted that a particular bird is no longer with the flock. When that first happened I would suspect that they were killed by hawks and feel a bit down. Sometimes several months would go by and then one day the same bird would show-up again as if nothing had happened. That's been going on repeatedly for years now. There are some birds who have never reappeared, but I'm no longer so quick to assume the worst.

While reading research papers about the birds, I learned that pigeon flocks in cities aren't strictly independent groups. Which is to say that my local flock is not actually separate from the entire larger flock of pigeons living elsewhere in and around the city. It's normal for some of the birds to explore beyond their regular boundaries, and sometimes they choose to stay in other areas with a different sub-flock in the same city. Probably because they find a mate that they like in a nearby neighborhood and then join their mate's sub-flock.

I don't know whether your bird will return, but I'd say that the odds are good that he is having a great time, somewhere!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
Last time I saw my male pigeon Phil was April 3rd when I let him out; he is 3 years old, has always been free to fly ( usually back in a day or so) could he have joined a flock? Mating with a female? Is it possible he could return when mating season is over?
I really miss him, just hope he's ok..this is the only forum I can find that might offer me some insight, everythjng else on the net is about pigeon removal- really unfortunate

Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts