Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was in my loft today and i noticed one of my best colour birds had what looked like a pimple on it's face right beside the mouth and with closer look there was some kind of crusty cheese like substance on the outside leading in is this canker? if so how do i treat it? i have removed the chunk id does not seem to be hurting her at all so please any help is better then no help ... thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
A picture would help. It may very well be pox. Best not to remove chunks of this stuff but let them dry up.
Did you wash your hands well before and after you reomoved the chunk?

·
Registered
935 Posts
It is NOT good to remove or pop these things. It really hurts your bird, even if they don't completely show it. Most likely her mate needs treated also.... Do they have babies?

They need put on meds, and monitored closely. They could have canker, pox, both... Pictures would have been nice. How does inside the mouth look??

You will have to clean where the pimple was....you don't want infection to set in.

-Hilly

·
Registered
857 Posts
It sounds like canker. You can treat it with fishzol, which is sold at petstores for treating hole in the head disease in discuss fish.
Just break the capsule in half and dump the powder in the throat for 5 days and it should clear up.
Keith

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It sounds like canker. You can treat it with fishzol, which is sold at petstores for treating hole in the head disease in discuss fish.
Just break the capsule in half and dump the powder in the throat for 5 days and it should clear up.
Keith
Keith...Fishzole isn't that easy to come by everywhere. The dose does depend upon the weight of the bird. It may not be canker and a picture will help.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After removing the pimple like thing she looks fine. Hillybean it probably did hurt but she was in alot of pain before and isnt now. Also my father told me to remove everything I could. I will look for fishzol just incase it is canker. Her mate is also being monitored closely. They were not on eggs or babies.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Removing it won't make it go away if it is pox or canker. You'll just hurt the bird. Better to find out what it is and treat it with medication.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yep, we need to know for sure what it is....
You don't just want to give any med...and fishzol is hard to come by depending on location. The dosing as Charis mentioned goes by weight.

There are other medications depending on what it is. Pictures would help...checking the mouth.... Picking this stuff off can cause a big bleeding problem. Drying it out is best....

Is the mouth clean?? Any odor from the mouth?
If she is sick then she is not feeling good, and still could be in pain. Pigeons like many animals, can hide illness/pain very well.

-Hilly

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sounds more like pox than canker. Could be both.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok soo new update there is no smell from it the throat is clear no sign of it all it is is a pimple like thing on the right side of her mouth just below the eye and close to the end of the beak there realy is no photo i can take that would show this but i will try to get one in the morning maby i can get a shot of it and she seems to be eating and drinking fin her crop was not full but there was food in it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts