Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of birds died today and i dont know why? When i went in i saw it dead and all the other birds were sitting in a circle around him. I notice yesterday at it seemed thatthere poop was kinda dark like mostly very dark green. Any ideas i'd hate to lose anymore especially since i dont know why?

·
Registered
851 Posts
General comment that is likely not related to what killed your bird...

You need to leave grit out all the time. I prefer to leave one cup of red, grey and oyster for them at all time. It lets me see what the birds are taking and allows them to get what they need when they need it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Green and runny for me was semolina/para-typhoid. We got lucky that is was mild and no one had more than a mild case. The thing that I notice as a huge difference between then and now is the smell -- things were sour, kind of fermented smelling, before. Now the droppings are very solid and there is only the smell of grain.

Others with more experience with disease will need to weigh in to help you.

Did you check to see if it was something as simple as a broken neck from hitting the ceiling?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was it a young bird? and was it sick looking for awhile? may have been (Coccidius) Not sure of the spelling of it. It wouldn,t hurt to take a clove of Garlic and peel it and poke some holes in it with a fork and put it in there drinking water, it wont cure (Coccidiuc)? but it helps with other diseases. Good Luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did that just a few days ago and another lock sick to me very slow and not responsive so i took all my birds out and put them in cages of 2s and 1s and i gave everone vinegar water. i think i saw some all white poop right now it looked like white paint sploches?? and carbide what are the symptoms of coccidius?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Simplest thing you could do is to take a fresh fecal sample (worse looking one) to your vet and have a 'float' done (looking for worms and coccidia). If you can't get a sample tested, here are some suggestions....this is what I would do.

Have the birds ever been wormed? If so, with what? If not, I would get some pyrantel (its very safe for birds not feeling well), and worm them 1st to see if they pass any worms. Pyrantel dose is .10ml per adult bird (5mg)
If you could get some 'triple sulfa' (smz-tmp) or Albon, that would treat a wide variety of bacteria or coccidia.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Coccidia- will have them looking sick for along time and they will look fluffy feathered and weak, and it mainly happens to young birds. I havn,t had many survive, usually a long death, Now I just put them down when I see it.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i did that just a few days ago and another lock sick to me very slow and not responsive so i took all my birds out and put them in cages of 2s and 1s and i gave everone vinegar water. i think i saw some all white poop right now it looked like white paint sploches?? and carbide what are the symptoms of coccidius?
you don't want to do a guessing game and give your birds the wrong meds on top of them being sick or potentally sick. use the right medication when you find out the right diagnosis.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Coccidia- will have them looking sick for along time and they will look fluffy feathered and weak, and it mainly happens to young birds. I havn,t had many survive, usually a long death, Now I just put them down when I see it.
Really ? That's incredibly severe....there are a lot of over-counter coccidia medications that are really effective ! Coccidiosis is not lethal and it's very treatable.

Appartex, for example. 2 small pills given 10 days apart; incredibly effective even in severe cases....you really should not do that any longer. Go online to Jedds, Foys, or any other gooid Pigeon supply place and look for anti-coccidials. There are a good 4 or 5 out there....

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the testing also tells what medication works best for a specfic strain..OR YOU MAY NOT NEED MEDICINE AT ALL. Testing is the best first choice then go from there. If not get your cocktails out and medicate away and hope for the best.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is there any meds i can buy at a petstore shipping will take pretty long, i mean a commercial pet store my feed store which is 40 mins away only carries food nothing else not even pigeon grit

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im pretty sure its semolina or wht u get from rats because my loft pretty open and a rat can fit through the hole on the bottomside. I saw the poops of the birds seperately and they all seem fine except the one that is sick, so its outside in the loft

1 - 20 of 36 Posts