Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I really need some help and advice. Yesterday I found this pigeon in a park, he wasn't flying away from the kids that were screaming and running around him, but he did seem scared and he was desperately trying to run from them. He was also shaking. I came to him and told the kids to leave him alone and the poor pigeon tried to hide between my legs. I took him to the vet, to which he didn't protest at all. I put him in a box, with a few seeds and some water. He did eat a couple of seeds on the way to the vet so I just assumed he had an appetite. The vet told us that the pigeon has a broken foot and she attended the foot with some bandages and splits. She also told me to look after the pigeon for a while (around 2 weeks, with periodic visits to the vet) as he won't be able to survive with his broken foot in the wild.
I took the pigeon home and named him Pippo. he seemed very friendly yesterday, he let me pet him and he wasn't scared of me at all. but the first thing I noticed this morning was that he was completely terrified of me. he doesn't let me touch him anymore. then I started to pay attention to his water and food bowls, when I came to check on him on the balcony, where I keep him. I haven't seen him eating or drinking anything all day long. The problem is I have no idea how old he is, but I know for sure that he isn't a fully developed adult, as he's still squealing.
The last thing he did a couple of hours ago that really worried me is that he managed to get out of the box where I keep him and started to run around the balcony. it was really hard catching him, as he was so scared of me and he kept running away. he was desperately trying to use his broken foot to walk, which the vet advised us to avoid.
It is past midnight in my country right now, which means I cannot call the vet and ask her for some advice, but I am really worried that he will die of hunger/thirst or that he will hurt himself running around the balcony tonight. I have no idea what to do, I don't know how to determine if Pippo is eating and drinking water or not, or if he needs my help to eat, I have no idea if i'm not approaching him correctly or if I should spend some more time with him. I am really lost and confused. any advice would be helpful, please

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Would put him in a pet carrier or cage so he will heal and you can monitor his food and water intake. If you post a photo someone can probably tell you how old he is. Thank you for helping him!

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
Yes, a cage will be better for him. Safer for him, even if he can't fly now he will soon and if he flies away you will never find him. Sounds like he is still a youngster that probably can't eat on his own. Please post a photo. If he is not eating, then you will need to handfeed him defrosted green peas. If his droppings are brightgreen and creamy, then he is starving. A healthy dropping of a pigeon that is eating, will be brown with a white dot on top. Will look like a large raisin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just finished forcefeeding Pippo with my mom's help. We also gave him some water with a pipette, cause i am worried he's not drinking either. We just fed him a small quantity of boiled egg yolk (the vet's recommandation) and I'm going to buy some peas for him tomorrow, after we visit the vet again. He's still completely terrified of me and feeding him was a challenge, but I'm glad he ate something, even a few bites. It was the first time force feeding him and i didn't want to scare him too badly or to hurt him.
Sadly, i don't have the possibility to move him in a cage, cause i don't own one, but i did empty the balcony and closed the windows (it's a closed balcony) so that he can walk around and attempt to fly around without the risk of getting hurt or falling from the balcony.
Thank you all for the advices, it was very, very helpful. Without the information from you, i wouldn't have been able to establish an approximative age, or to find out if he was starving (his droppings were indeed green-ish, so that's when i realized he was really starving), or to actually know how to feed him. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
It's much easier putting him on your lap to feed the peas. Have him facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Feed him at least 30 peas 3 times a day, total of 90. Always leave a bowl of peas with him, they quickly learn to eat peas by themselves. Never force water in his beak, he can easily aspirate. Rather dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a sml bowl of water till he drinks. Peas have a lot of moisture, so don't be alarmed if he is not drinking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: i'm back with an update, because i thought you should know how things are going with Pippo. As I am writing this, my mom is feeding him and today is the first day that he's showing an appetite. He is actually attempting to eat on his own and he's finally getting more used to us. Seeing him so eager to eat makes me extremely happy and I wanted to thank you one more time for all the help and support 🙂

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
That's great! Are you planning on releasing him? If so, he will need to spend time outside in the safety of a cage to get used to the area. You will also need to supply him with a backup food and water supply after releasing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, i want to release him, as much as i enjoy his company and as happy as it makes me to see him getting used to us. I'm just hoping the other pigeons will accept him when he return outside. I'll make sure to do everything i can so his release is done in the best way possible for him and I'm also going to take him back to the place where i found him, maybe he'll feel better there.
But he still needs to stay with us for a few more days, until the vet tells us that his foot is healed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, this is my last update regarding Pippo. The situation was getting out of hand, as Pippo started feeling worse and he refused to eat again. I was desperate and I reached to an animal rescue and care foundation and they offered to take him and look after him so they can release him later. I just dropped him at the foundation, and even though i know this is the best decision for him, it still hurts me and i've been crying for the past 20 minutes. I got used to him and he got attached to me, but i know that he will be happy and loved there too and that this is his best chance to return to the "outside world" safely. Thank you for all the support

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
It's sometimes hard to let go of them, but you made the right decision. Keeping a single pigeon will be nice for you, but they prefer the company of their own kind. You will probably find more youngsters or babies in the future. Thanks for helping him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts