Pigeon-Talk banner

i need help!

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  RodSD 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 ·
okk guys my homers are eaiting, they ate yesterday but the rollers havnt eatin anything since i got them they dont even move from one spot and where can i buy their food? person that i bought them from gave me some food but i need to know where i can get their food in store.
thanks
a feed store, look in the yellow pages, or a tractor supply,ask for a pigeon grain mix. you will need red grit too so ask for that as well.

#6 ·
thanks for replying back.. why aren't my rollers eating? my pigeons are really scared when i walk inside the loft they start bumping into each other and try to run away.
because they are scared, give them a week or two and they should settle down. get in a routine of feeding the same time of day, and give them their space so they will eat and drink. you may not see them eat, but that does not mean they are not eating.

#8 ·
At a feed store you will pay much less for a larger amount. You will be going through a lot of food.
They also need red grit and oyster shell each offered in separate dishes and each offered daily. You will need to go to a feed store for those. They will need to be stored in containers that will prevent rodents and moisture form contaminating them, The same with the seed. The seed should be a minimum of 14% protein. You also want to keep their diet as close to the one they have been on as possible.
There is also a lot more to keeping pigeons than just this.

#5 ·
They are frightened because they don't know you...you are a stranger to them. I will take some time before they trust you.
Did you ask the fellow you bought them from what he feeds the rollers...maybe they are used to a smaller seed. Maybe they are young and not weaned yet. If that's the case, you will need to hand feed them.
Call him and ask some more questions. He knows the birds.

#10 ·
i called the store and they said they have 50 lb bag for $12 how* long would that last? and * * is there any way i could get the food online for cheap.
thanks
If you are talking about a 50# bag of pigeon seed that is a pretty good price!!!

*Depends on how many birds you have.

**Yeah, you could by it on-line but shipping costs would be enormous, and the price of seed wouldn't be much cheaper, if it is at all cheaper.

#13 ·
That is a really great price. Like Charis said, keep it in an airtight container and make sure it can't get damp at all. If even a little bit gets damp, it can mold inside the seed where you can't see it, and will poison your birds. If you haven't gotten any red grit, pick some of that up at the feed store too and offer it every day in a separate dish. You can also give them a bath dish to use, a shallow one like a cat litter pan or even a baking pan to start out with. You can pretty easily build some nest boxes but in the short term you can always use milk crates and of course clean them regularly.

#15 ·
They are still new to your place so they are not eating. They will eat soon. I experience the same thing when 4 new birds don't want to eat. Two or 3 days later they will eat. With respect to rollers I think roller people give them 1 tablespoon a day or about 1/2 ounces. Homers eat about 2 tablespoon (1 ounce) a day. Add more depending on the weather or their activity. Just calculate how many total ounces that your birds eat in one day and perhaps multiply that with 30 or 31 days and use this online conversion. http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_volume_cooking.htm
It is just approximate. Then perhaps you can divide the 50lb or 800 ounces? by the total of your calculations so that you can know how many months that 50lb will last.

Example: 4 rollers eat about 2 ounces a day. If you multiply that with 30 days, then 2 ounces x 30 days = 60 ounces a month.

Using the online conversion and using wild rice as an example. I then put 50 lb on the convert what quantity and choose pound on the From This list and ounce[weight] of To This list. I ended up with 800 ounces as an equivalent for 50lb rice.

That 800 ounces will then last about 800 ounces/60 ounces a month = 13 months! I don't know whether this calculation is correct though. It seemed that 50lb of rice can feed 4 rollers in one year?!

Please verify! It sounds too good! Can someone check the calculations? I can't believe it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.