Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to my coop this morning and found an egg on the coop floor what should I do it was not in one of the nesting boxes should I put it in a box so it doesn't get broken or just leave it out. I have never had pigeon eggs laid it's all new. I am in the middle of moving my birds to a bigger coop also I don't know witch one is the parent either. I am more excited than anything. it stll get's cold here at night also. HELP ME ANYONE

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Put it back in the nest. If it is still in good shape then It still hasa good chance of hatching. If it wasn't meant to be then it won't. Single female pigeons will lay 2 white eggs within 2 days from each one laid, let them lay on them till they abandon them.

Cindy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What should I use to put them in there are no nest per say to put them in. Once they are in the box they will not roll out I will get some straw maybe and just put loose in the coop so they can make there own nest????

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
f you do not know whitch bird layed the egg or where it goes your moving them to a new loft, I would just toss it. Sorry unless you have another pair that has layed in the last few days. If it was to cold it wont hatch. JMO
Dave

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Crazy Pete is right... Thanks Pete

·
Registered
795 Posts
If your new loft is set up correctly, and you give the proper care for your pigeons, then you won't have any problems breeding them.
Pigeons breed pretty fast, and you have to control it, so you don't end up with too many pigeons, or unwanted crosses, or over line bred young.
Take the time and study all you can about all kinds of pigeons, that will give you an idea of how different breeds of pigeons are kept. Some are easier to keep then others (breeds). Who knows, you might even keep a few different breeds eventually.
If you don't know the hen that laid the egg, you might try to mark the egg (with a marker), and sneak it into an allready established nest, with eggs in it, and a well proven breeding pair, sometimes the foster parents will take care of it, sometimes they won't.
Hens will drop eggs in some strange places, if they don't have a secure nest, or if they feel that it's not safe enough to raise young.
Make a plan, as to how many, and what kind of pigeons, and which parents you want to have as breeders. Band them so you can keep track of whos who, and keep accurate records. (don't loose the records, sometimes even years later, they can become very important.)
Good luck, and keep asking questions, theres all kinds of folks here that will help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had good success taking the first egg laid of any pair(make sure you put a dummy egg under the hen) marking on it the pair # bringing it in the house until the second egg is laid and then I can put it back or I will put it under foster parents.

You can keep the egg in the house up to 10 days making sure you turn it once a day and make sure it's not where it will gets to hot, cool is better (above freezing). If you can place the egg under the parents or perspective foster parents between 1 - 5 days your success rate for the egg being fertile will be much greater.

I hope this helps

Walter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts