Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get rid of these little buggers, eating my birds feathers. Ive done borax in the bath water--- 1 tbs/gal. Is that ok for them to drink? Ive also given them a lice and mite spray. It has been a week and im still seeing the lice when I extend the wing in front of a light. Is there anything else I can do that will work instantly? Ive heard of a "dip" but im not sure what it is. Thanks for your help! Matt

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Im trying to get rid of these little buggers, eating my birds feathers. Ive done borax in the bath water--- 1 tbs/gal. Is that ok for them to drink? Ive also given them a lice and mite spray. It has been a week and im still seeing the lice when I extend the wing in front of a light. Is there anything else I can do that will work instantly? Ive heard of a "dip" but im not sure what it is. Thanks for your help! Matt
Get some of this and dip them.

http://www.atozvetsupply.com/Permectrin-II-p/33-perm-11.htm

Borax in the water will help keep them free of bugs, but don't think it will take care of a bad infestation.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Matt,

Sorry to hear the Borax hasn't done the trick for you. When I use it, I use it it in a bit more concentration, maybe a quarter cup in 3 gallons of bath water. It has always done the job for me. There are all sorts of Permethrin dips and sprays out there. All the pigeon supply houses carry them. You can also get it at Equine supply places like Tractor Supply or Horsetown. The Borax was always a lot cheaper and just as effective for me. I think I would try the Borax again and up the concentration some. Make sure the birds are bathing well in it and make sure the loft is very clean so they don't jump back on.

You know that is another possibility. You may need to treat the cracks and crevices of the loft with a Permethrin solution to kill any "critters" that would be hiding there. In Europe they often "burn" the loft. They will use an ascetelyne torch on a low flame and go over the corners of the loft with it. Of course you have to be very careful not to burn down your loft in the process!

Hope all this helps and you are able to solve your problem.

Dan

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Went to PetSmart today and in the dog section was a flea spray that had the drug Permethrin as the active ingredent, sprayed loft and birds. Tell you tomorrow if it worked. Used sevin dust under and around the loft.

With all the rain and now the heat, bugs are going to be a problem. Treat now and let it be your neighbor's problem.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I am having the same problem right now, but these are my baby birds so I just grab them and dip them. The problem with bath is that they don't get saturated much with water especially if the tub is shallow. Dipping them and swirling them, opening their feathers and saturating them will usually do the trick unless you miss other birds that have one. It took me 2 dippings in different days though to fix one bird. I myself have this problem for the first time. I am pissed. I don't know how I got them. I only discovered it after handling the babies when they were like 3 or 4 weeks old.

I agree with Dan. Up the concentration of that borax if you have bad infestation. I saw like 4 lice on one of my baby today so that is taken care of.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You fill the container with water and the correct amount of permectrin II, and hold the bird. Lower him into the water, but not his head. Spread his wings so he gets it good under there. Don't get his head wet. Then lift him out.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Renee, when you say dip them, do you mean submerging the birds completely? Thanks, Don.
You fill the container with water and the correct amount of permectrin II, and hold the bird. Lower him into the water, but not his head. Spread his wings so he gets it good under there. Don't get his head wet. Then lift him out.
Yep, that's the way you do it. ;)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I purchased 22.5% SEVIN liquid for the birds. Can someone tell me how much to dilute this strength for the birds? Thanks, Don.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I've never used it. I use the seven powder. I have the permectrin II dip, but not the sevin liquid.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I purchased 22.5% SEVIN liquid for the birds. Can someone tell me how much to dilute this strength for the birds? Thanks, Don.
I have it too, but only use it for under the loft and in the house and yard. Of course, flowers and plants as needed. Some people use the dust, I have not.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Once you get bugs, it is good to treat house, yard, and animals all at the same time. Other wise you never completely get rid of them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
fleas,feather mites etc.

pyretrins,one drop behind the head,.you can use kitten flea earmite insecticide,..don,t use soap/borax,..try epsom salts,..but donot bath until all mites,fleas,feather lice are dead,..dead ,,sincerely james waller

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I do as Jay3, but I wet their heads, too, using my hand scooping some water into them. What I have noticed is that those surviving bugs will migrate to the head if I don't. Try Jay3 procedure's first though and modify if needed.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I do as Jay3, but I wet their heads, too, using my hand scooping some water into them. What I have noticed is that those surviving bugs will migrate to the head if I don't. Try Jay3 procedure's first though and modify if needed.
Good idea about getting the ones on the head, as long as you don't get it in their eyes, nose, or mouth. Maybe wetting the head with a sponge or facecloth? That's what I do when we wash the dogs. I wash their heads and faces with a face cloth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts