Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I worked at a big-box hardware store when my co-worker brought a pallet out of the overhead and found a hatchling. He came and got me as he knew I'd done rescue of multiple other animals and thought I'd know what to do. I scooped the hatchling up, literally plucking the half shell off of it (it appears to have been forcibly hatched when the pallet was moved. I wrapped it in a clean towel and stuffed it into my bussom to keep it warm until I got off of work and could set up a proper carrier.
Long story-short: I kept it with me for weeks, feeding it with a syring every 2 hours. I carted it to work with me, going into the restroom on my breaks to feed it. It went everywhere in the store with me, as I was not a typical store associate, I had a cart for cleaning and organizing that I stashed the tote in.
When COVID quarentine came I delegated the care to my high school senior now home-school senior who was happy to help. We've co-pigeoned well, however, in the last few months the pigeon has been tearing at my hand when I reach into the cage to change water and refill seed. It loves my daughter and boyfriend to death, following them around the house, cuddling up next to them, and even coming to them when called. Sometimes she'll sit on my leg when Im watching TV, but she refuses to let me touch her, and will either fly away or wing-slap me if I try.
I don't understand this behavior. What can I do to build her trust?

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
That is normal behaviour. They do change as they become more mature. They also view the cage as their territory. Rather wait till he is out of the cage and then do the cleaning. You can offer chopped up raw unsalted peanuts as a treat from your hand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts