Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So almost 2 months ago, a neighbor saw another neighbor throwing big rocks at pigeons. Unfortunately one was very injured ,with a big hole in the top of it wing (kinda by her shoulder). With COVID-19 happening a lot of aviary places are not accepting new birds. We were told that Animal Control would euthanize, as well.
So there's a healthy pigeon, that's down.
I took responsibility for her. I got a cage, pigeon food, water bowl, and as she had a bloody hole in her wing, I wrapped it. She seemed thankful, as she did not resist my help.
It was hot out still, so I kept her in our garage. I kept the bandage on for a week or so; and she seemed very happy to have it off. Although she was still very compromised.
So weeks went by and she was slowly improving , even graduated to a perch! On nice sunny days I would bring the cage outside on the picnic table and give her a big tub to bath in, in her cage.
One day, she saw her family on the roof next door and really just needed to get back to them. She seemed good enough.
I opened her cage and gave her the choice. She slowly walked onto the table and then flew to them! They took her back into the flock.
I'd watch her feed with them near our bird feeders. All seemed great for her "Charlie".
About a week later I'd been working in the garage (its my studio), took a lunch break. When I returned to the studio, she was back!!
I have her cage set up with her food and water and perch, with the doors open. Charlie chooses to stay up high watching all action in there.
Im not quite sure what to do for her. She is more than welcome to stay! (I love her company, and she also seems to love the Grateful Dead <3).
What do you guys think??

·
Registered
Pigeon rescue and rehabilitation
318 Posts
I would say give keep giving her the option. If she finds a mate, she will stay with her mate and eventually nest, and may not come back. They will raise youngsters season after season until death do they part.

She may realize she has protection, attention, and a reliable food and water suppy with you. She may try to bond with you, but since she has her flock she may end up falling in love with a dashing young pigeon prince one day.

Pigeons are domesticated and definately thrive with human care and provision. If it was me, I would let her choose. And I would be glad if she chose to stay - as I know I would keep her safe and give her a longer lifespan in my care than being outside with predators, getting ill, or becoming under- or malnourshed etc. But she would either need devoted one-on-one attention all day long or a mate to make her truly happy. Giving her the choice and freedom to choose makes deciding to keep her easier without regrets. However, pigeons are very needy of care and attention, sort of on par of a parrot, but they aren't destructive as parrots, just a bit messy, haha :)

I don't regret keeping my pigeon rescues, and they now totally live inside where I can keep them safe and disease-free. They are part of the family now. :) It is strange how they seem to like music, isn't it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i keep the garage door open all day, for the option to choose.
her mate did come and stay in the garage with her while healing, he was here for about 24hrs
We do have a hawk near by, not sure if her mate is still around, and perhaps I have become her mate/companion? is that possible?

·
Registered
318 Posts
If she has a mate, he may not be used to the garage, but he may get used to it. It is usually the male that picks out nesting sites and the female decides or approves. If he truly is her mate, he will follow her anywhere. I would say give him a week and keep your eye out for him. He may stay around the area or perch on rooftops nearby where he can observe from a distance. Once he knows there is no danger he may come close and eat. If he doesn't return, and she stays, give her another week free to decide. After that, it should be clear she has chosen.

Pigeons are hawk magnets. Pigeons are, on average, 40% muscle by weight, among the highest muscle to mass ratio of any animal in the world (and hawks know it). Be sure she has a secure area to crawl into (and then able to turn around) where a hawk or cat cannot follow or enter. Preferably where she has a few escape routes. Hawks do not like tight places and are not designed to crawl into tunnels. A typical hawk's diet can consist up to 80% of pigeons in some areas, so it is a real problem.

It will be hard at first reading pigeon behavior. Usually, when a pigeon chooses a mate, they will start "billing" or gently nibble each other on their beaks or begin to "allopreen", preening each other's feathers. They may nibble gently on figertips and sit on you a lot. They may land on your head often, unless you tilt your head to one side and point to your open shoulder, haha. Pigeons often lay down close to the ground (sometimes with their tail pointed up against a corner) and will make soft, warm, cooing calls called "nest coo's" that sound like a "woOooooo, woOoooooo" and gently flick their wings towards the object of their affection. They will become quite cuddly and desire your company completely at this stage. Males especially will follow their mates everywhere at this point, and often try to lure them or drive the female back to the nest. A male usually bows with a ballooned-out neck while cooing, turn full circles while cooing, and often drag and "fan" out their tail feathers while hopping closer as a display. Males are more vocal and do more full turns while displaying, whereas most females do not. When they desire to mate, they will often do mock regurgitation into their beaks and take turns crouching low with outstretched shoulders before they do the deed.

Most owners who keep indoor pigeons, and who work or cannot stay at home during the day, will get another pigeon of the opposite sex as a mate if they cannot give the needed attention all day long. They often buy fake plastic or wood pigeon eggs online to replace with the real eggs as a "birth control" method.

Indoor pigeons will definately need liquid bird vitamins in the daily water for vitamin A and vitamin D3. They also will need fine calcium grit to properly digest their food at least once a week or everyday in a separate dish and occasionally some mineral clay as a suppliment. They love white safflower seeds, white and red millet, dried yellow Canadian field peas, cracked corn, sorghum, buckwheet, hempseed, and sometimes some greens like kale, broccoli, and romaine lettuce. Some also love berries like blueberries or strawberries. They may be finicky at first trying new food, but often will learn to love something after they try it.

Reactions: Charlie143

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does she stay the night in the garage or roost elsewhere?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If she has a mate, he may not be used to the garage, but he may get used to it. It is usually the male that picks out nesting sites and the female decides or approves. If he truly is her mate, he will follow her anywhere. I would say give him a week and keep your eye out for him. He may stay around the area or perch on rooftops nearby where he can observe from a distance. Once he knows there is no danger he may come close and eat. If he doesn't return, and she stays, give her another week free to decide. After that, it should be clear she has chosen.

Pigeons are hawk magnets. Pigeons are, on average, 40% muscle by weight, among the highest muscle to mass ratio of any animal in the world (and hawks know it). Be sure she has a secure area to crawl into (and then able to turn around) where a hawk or cat cannot follow or enter. Preferably where she has a few escape routes. Hawks do not like tight places and are not designed to crawl into tunnels. A typical hawk's diet can consist up to 80% of pigeons in some areas, so it is a real problem.

It will be hard at first reading pigeon behavior. Usually, when a pigeon chooses a mate, they will start "billing" or gently nibble each other on their beaks or begin to "allopreen", preening each other's feathers. They may nibble gently on figertips and sit on you a lot. They may land on your head often, unless you tilt your head to one side and point to your open shoulder, haha. Pigeons often lay down close to the ground (sometimes with their tail pointed up against a corner) and will make soft, warm, cooing calls called "nest coo's" that sound like a "woOooooo, woOoooooo" and gently flick their wings towards the object of their affection. They will become quite cuddly and desire your company completely at this stage. Males especially will follow their mates everywhere at this point, and often try to lure them or drive the female back to the nest. A male usually bows with a ballooned-out neck while cooing, turn full circles while cooing, and often drag and "fan" out their tail feathers while hopping closer as a display. Males are more vocal and do more full turns while displaying, whereas most females do not. When they desire to mate, they will often do mock regurgitation into their beaks and take turns crouching low with outstretched shoulders before they do the deed.

Most owners who keep indoor pigeons, and who work or cannot stay at home during the day, will get another pigeon of the opposite sex as a mate if they cannot give the needed attention all day long. They often buy fake plastic or wood pigeon eggs online to replace with the real eggs as a "birth control" method.

Indoor pigeons will definately need liquid bird vitamins in the daily water for vitamin A and vitamin D3. They also will need fine calcium grit to properly digest their food at least once a week or everyday in a separate dish and occasionally some mineral clay as a suppliment. They love white safflower seeds, white and red millet, dried yellow Canadian field peas, cracked corn, sorghum, buckwheet, hempseed, and sometimes some greens like kale, broccoli, and romaine lettuce. Some also love berries like blueberries or strawberries. They may be finicky at first trying new food, but often will learn to love something after they try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As soon as the sun hits the garage door I open it for her. She is not cage at this point.
I leave the door, or doors, depending on the weather open to give her the option to leave, if she wants. so far, she seems to just be perfectly comfy on a tote I have on a high shelf.
She lets me up there to change the news paper everyday.
I have her cage set with food, water and perch for her, it's also covered for extra warmth and shelter, and the door is left open. Im trying to either encourage her to leave on her own, or take her cage as a home, until I can get a big bird cage for her.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You're welcome! Thanks for saving her!

Sounds like she is content living in the garage :) Maybe her mate got disinterested with her, but time will tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts