Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you will think im nutz!!

I had an interesting interlude with the boys and girls in the loft this evening.
I was standing in there trying to talk to them and they just looked at me as if to say" What are you on about?"
So I started to sing to them, Paloma Blanca,
They started to listen then and nodded their heads from side to side like a dog does when hes listening to you. So I went inside and grabbed my guitar and a chair and entered the loft s.l.o.w.l.y so as not to shock them with the strange thing I had in my hand, they didnt budge.
I sat there in my little chair in the corner and started to play "Blackbird" by McCartney ans some other little tunes that came into my head.
They Loved it. they are the best audience, they just sit there and watch and listen , well they didnt complain so I must have sounded alright.!!
Anyhow, it was the best way to unwind after a really hectic day and I thoroughly recommend it.
So go on, try it, even if you cant hold a chord, just strum and youll see what I mean. May even make em go faster for you! or take a cd player in there but DONT play rap music, they dont like it after 5pm!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Singing to your birds or your children implies companionship and security. A soft voice and a lullaby is the projection of ones own feelings of safety and love. One cannot sing softly when one is terribly frightened or very angry. It is an excellent idea to sing to your birds when you are feeling especially close to them.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who sings to their birds. I do it all the time and even though my singing voice sucks, they don't mind. My favorite song that I sing, especially to the babies, is an old song from the classic movie "Song of the South" called Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well, you will think im nutz!!
I don't but the people out there in the "I don't like pigeons" world, would probably have you committed. If I could sing and play the quitar I would do it, it sounds like fun.

When I'm working on the yard I wear my MP3 player and end up singing. Neighbors made a comment so now I have the radio on by the patio to hopefully camou my singing.

The pijes do listen to the radio or try to ignore the radio.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I sing as well, not to them but in genral as I'm cleanning and such and oh do they listen. I have one that will hpe on my back every time I bend over. They like music.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
When I had fewer pigeons (5, now I have over 100), they each had their special song.

Feefo the Beautiful liked "Feefo be Tender (with my love)" - Bee Gees.

Blackie loved "Blackie's Black" - Los Bravos

Hurdy and Gurdy Loved "The Hurdy Gurdy Fan" - Donovan

and Speckles liked "****** and Specks" - Bee Gees.

But all my pigeons and my woodland birds love Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah! They are committed Uncle Remus fans.

Cynthia

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who sings to their birds. I do it all the time and even though my singing voice sucks, they don't mind. My favorite song that I sing, especially to the babies, is an old song from the classic movie "Song of the South" called Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah.
THERES A PIDJIE ON MY SHOULDER...IT'S THE TRUTH IS FACTUAL...EVERYTHING IS SATISFACTUAL! LA...LAAAA........:D:D

·
Registered
510 Posts
They do love lullybies and I noticed and one day when I was listening to
Nick Cave & P.J Harvey with Henry Lee they stopped to listen, they wore very interested.

I got a few CDs with birds chipping and singing and they love that. They fear the hawk noises, they do not like that and is off the playlist

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
My 13 month old grand son Drakie spends a lot of time with me nearly everyday outdoors and I sing him songs I make up for my grandsons that are from actual tunes such as "On top of Old smokie". I changed the words to"I got me a baby, all cuddly and warm, they call him my baby, my sweet dumple-ling..." Anyways, Drakie went in for a nap last week, and I was out getting ready to get my pigeons in the coop, and I caught myself singing to them, as if they were my baby grandson. I stopped myself fast and hoped none of my neighbors were out!:eek:Caffeine wore off I tell ya!

After reading your post, I might just try that, and change words to accomodate my pigeons!;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Singing to your birds or your children implies companionship and security. A soft voice and a lullaby is the projection of ones own feelings of safety and love. One cannot sing softly when one is terribly frightened or very angry. It is an excellent idea to sing to your birds when you are feeling especially close to them.
That is exactly what i felt, really close to them, i wanted to let them know that Im am their "mum" and that they give me so much joy and im so glad to be part of their lives and this is their home.
It didnt surprise me to see that they enjoyed the music.
Music is universal, good for the soul.
Im going to do it again later, Zippee da do dah!! ive never sung it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I sing or whistle when I clean..always the same song. It seems to keep them calm while I do my work...when I do not sing they get all flustery and flappy..I notice the contrast...it's like part of the routine...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts