Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the feral babies I brought in, it was I think the oldest but is smallest. I feel bad bc I just realized it must be canker when I saw the overgrowths on sides of mouth, looked inside and saw the white cheesy awfulness. Ugh poor baby, little bear hasnt been eating much and def not gaining weight but with the other issues with other ones, I hadnt yet checked this one out enough. Anyway, I gave hime the baby dosage of nystatin, also got him to drink some and eat a little formula. But Bear's mouth was pretty full of muck. Bottle says twice a day until the symptoms are gone.

Any other things I can do or helpful to know to help little Bear? I hope he makes it 🙏. I have him separate from others.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't used it myself but this site selling Giantel Tricho 40 gives the dosage for adding to drinking water - Mercasystems.com, Online winkel voor duiven en vogels producten Is he weaned and self feeding/drinking? If not, ronidazole I think is 12.5mg/kg - but please check this. You'd also need to look how much ronidazole the product actually contains - it should say somewhere on the packaging each gram contains how many mg of ronidazole.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't used it myself but this site selling Giantel Tricho 40 gives the dosage for adding to drinking water - Mercasystems.com, Online winkel voor duiven en vogels producten Is he weaned and self feeding/drinking? If not, ronidazole I think is 12.5mg/kg - but please check this. You'd also need to look how much ronidazole the product actually contains - it should say somewhere on the packaging each gram contains how many mg of ronidazole.
I just added a tiny sprinkle, minuscule amount until I can figure out dosage, he looked so bad off. It gives for large amount 1g (1000mg)/500mL water, so if I calculate it to 50mL, it would be 100mg, its just I cant figure out how to measure it at 100mg?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have a petshop nearby that sells aquarium goods, get Fishzole. It's the same as metronidazole. He will then need 10 mg per 100 gr birdweight once a day. Can you post a close up photo of him?
I am looking at he nearby places. If I cant find anything, what do you think about what I have for now? He looks bad, I will try to get a pic. He has the sick look, Flat head, hunched over, closing eyes, not eating drinking. It takes a lot to get him to drink. Can you tell me how to get some food / water anything in him? I dont have a gavage and have never used it tho Id try bc he is in bad shape. I tried the defrosted peas and applesauce, pea just sits in beak, like its stuck. Im so afraiid of aspiration with formula applesauce, water, even meds. But trying my best, any advice on how to do this

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am looking at he nearby places. If I cant find anything, what do you think about what I have for now? He looks bad, I will try to get a pic. He has the sick look, Flat head, hunched over, closing eyes, not eating drinking. It takes a lot to get him to drink. Can you tell me how to get some food / water anything in him? I dont have a gavage and have never used it tho Id try bc he is in bad shape. I tried the defrosted peas and applesauce, pea just sits in beak, like its stuck. Im so afraiid of aspiration with formula applesauce, water, even meds. But trying my best, any advice on how to do this
would this work??

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I just added a tiny sprinkle, minuscule amount until I can figure out dosage, he looked so bad off. It gives for large amount 1g (1000mg)/500mL water, so if I calculate it to 50mL, it would be 100mg, its just I cant figure out how to measure it at 100mg?
Is the bottle full? If so, measure the contents in ml. That will give you an idea: so much g equals so much ml. Then you can add the powder in ml to the water.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
With canker they are very thirsty. Keep on dipping the tip of his beak in a sml bowl of water (but not over the nostrils). Do you have him seperate from the others? If he drinks, offer him formula (handraising for baby parrots) mixed with water (but not too thick) to drink until the meds start working. That's how I kept the last one alive. Metro is very fast working. The last one I had had difficulty drinking due to the growths. I pushed 50 mg (2 pce of 25 mg each) of metro into his throat and the same afternoon he was eating and drinking.

With tubefeeding you can also dislodge the growths and don't try this if you are not familiar how to use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With canker they are very thirsty. Keep on dipping the tip of his beak in a sml bowl of water (but not over the nostrils). Do you have him seperate from the others? If he drinks, offer him formula (handraising for baby parrots) mixed with water (but not too thick) to drink until the meds start working. That's how I kept the last one alive. Metro is very fast working. The last one I had had difficulty drinking due to the growths. I pushed 50 mg (2 pce of 25 mg each) of metro into his throat and the same afternoon he was eating and drinking.

With tubefeeding you can also dislodge the growths and don't try this if you are not familiar how to use.
i ordered this, I only had 30min to order and get by tomorrow. Will this work?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I ordered the tube feeder too, I can do it if necessary, Im sure of it. I just hope little Bear makes it, he looks bad. He is in a box with mesh in the larger baby cage, hes been in there and they are healthy strong and love him. I feel the benefit of leaving him near them for comfort outweighs any risks to them, they are very very solid strong and he watches then and the only time hes been eating is when they do. So him able to watch them eat drink is crucial to his resolve right now. He does have mesh separating him tho.

He also has small growths on each side of mouth, I think its coming from the inside but I could be wrong. Ive looked at the pox threads an dits much smaller doesnt look like that. Unless its early on.

Im also dealing with my long time foot sufferer, Zelda whose toe is separating, nearly off, gangrenous but shes doing great, surprisingly. And the rest just indoors as you, Marina, know about my situ still, the ones I had to get away from the psychos around me. So managing it all inside is a lot still, very hard. I feel bad that I missed little Bear's symptoms, just thought he was small and quiet since he is newest rescued one.

Also please tell me specifically how to feed if not with gavage, but to not aspirate. Esp when it seems its hard for him to swallow? Did you put drops of watery formula in bottom front of beak? Thats what Ive been doing but he diesnt swallow well and closes eyes, looks stressed by it. I dip his beak tip, he doesnt drink much but with a lot of time I can get him to take n small amounts.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I ordered the tube feeder too, I can do it if necessary, Im sure of it. I just hope little Bear makes it, he looks bad. He is in a box with mesh in the larger baby cage, hes been in there and they are healthy strong and love him. I feel the benefit of leaving him near them for comfort outweighs any risks to them, they are very very solid strong and he watches then and the only time hes been eating is when they do. So him able to watch them eat drink is crucial to his resolve right now. He does have mesh separating him tho.

He also has small growths on each side of mouth, I think its coming from the inside but I could be wrong. Ive looked at the pox threads an dits much smaller doesnt look like that. Unless its early on.

Im also dealing with my long time foot sufferer, Zelda whose toe is separating, nearly off, gangrenous but shes doing great, surprisingly. And the rest just indoors as you, Marina, know about my situ still, the ones I had to get away from the psychos around me. So managing it all inside is a lot still, very hard. I feel bad that I missed little Bear's symptoms, just thought he was small and quiet since he is newest rescued one.

Also please tell me specifically how to feed if not with gavage, but to not aspirate. Esp when it seems its hard for him to swallow? Did you put drops of watery formula in bottom front of beak? Thats what Ive been doing but he diesnt swallow well and closes eyes, looks stressed by it. I dip his beak tip, he doesnt drink much but with a lot of time I can get him to take n small amounts.
Have you checked with a flashlight inside his beak to see how advanced those growths are? Rather let him drink by himself. Much safer. Mix that ronidazole with the water so that he at least get some meds in till the metro arrives.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

These are the best pics I could get, its late I will get one tomorrow inside mouth. If you zoom in you can see the bumps on side corners of mouth/beak. They are on both sides.
Bird Beak Mesh Feather Pet supply

Bird Beak Pet supply Wood Feather

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Copy that. Will look closer tomorrow and post pic of inside beak.
PICS
1- with a lot of the matter in throat and beak
2- 2 pieces that easily came loose and came out
3-after, still has a lot but definitely cleared pathway to eat some

We got little Bear to eat formula, small drops one at a time in beak, he had about 15 -20 mL and was too tired but did have noticeable crop filling, he drank water too. He is very emaciated, I think at this point the food/drink is life or death for him and he perked up before falling asleep boating on my lap.

I FIGURED OUT MEDS DOSAGES

nystatin 1g/20 mL (the scoop enclosed is 1g) Give 1 mL 2x day. This was easy, directions on bottle.

tricho 40, (the ronidazole) was more complicated bc tho the calculating is easy, I wasnt sure how to measure it since it was quite less. So here it is, in case anyone sees this thread and needs it bc its not on label, I had to go to their website to find it.

The scoop enclosed in tricho 40 is 8g. The directions are 8g (so 1 scoop) / 2 L (2000 mL) so I worked it down to 20 mL and used the 1g scoop from other med.
4g / 1000 mL --
1g / 250 mL ( 1 scoop from nystatin scoop) --
.25 g (250 mg and 1/4 scoop) / 75 mL --
125 mg (1/8 scoop / 37.5 mL--
then just halved that, about 1/16 of scoop to 20 mL

I used 20 mL for both meds, I imagine ideally its 20 mL for each to not be too concentrated but heres the things--he is sick and weak so I wasnt sure Id be getting him to take all of it and need to get meds in him. So I mixed 2 meds at the /20 mL amounts, in one 20 mL does, then after, when I saw hed take more, I gave him just water.

Heres what else I did and will use more often bc its something I feel strongly about, is copper. I have some pure copper water I generated so I know its sure. Its like a colloidal copper, not too concentrated. I added 1 mL to another 20 or so mL that he drank. I also wiped his beak inside and out, and growths at corners with copper water. The reason is copper is prob the strongest fighter against every microbial category that exists. Incl viral, which even silver is limited against. I guess I will see if it helps.

Also any idea on the bumps at corners? Is this the tricho/canker/yeast or is it pox?

Blue Bird Beak Whiskers Electric blue

Brown Wood Writing implement Electric blue Office supplies

Bird Beak Feather Ostrich Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are the best pics I could get, its late I will get one tomorrow inside mouth. If you zoom in you can see the bumps on side corners of mouth/beak. They are on both sides.
View attachment 103062
View attachment 103061
Bird Beak Feather Perching bird Songbird

Also this pic, after he ate in a boat before going to sleep. He had observable crop filling. Look at corner of beak, its the same on other side--is this pox?? Or from the other stuff inside beak

1 - 20 of 37 Posts