Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Ok so the tablets are 250mg metro. Give him 30 mg once a day for 7 to 10 days. Best way to give will be to crush the tablet and split the powder into heaps of 30 mg. Mix a bit of water with the handraising formula to form a soft clay. Then make a small ball and soak up all the powder. Put deep inside beak over the tongue.

If this is malaria, acc to what I've read one can treat with Primaquin. I have no experience with this. Also give probiotics and vitamins during treatment. Malaria causes them to become anemic, so he will benefit from added vitamins.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok so the tablets are 250mg metro. Give him 30 mg once a day for 7 to 10 days. Best way to give will be to crush the tablet and split the powder into heaps of 30 mg. Mix a bit of water with the handraising formula to form a soft clay. Then make a small ball and soak up all the powder. Put deep inside beak over the tongue.

If this is malaria, acc to what I've read one can treat with Primaquin. I have no experience with this. Also give probiotics and vitamins during treatment. Malaria causes them to become anemic, so he will benefit from added vitamins.
Thanks, turned out to be a powder surprisingly. So I went by the measurement scoop to get it down to 30mg. I think it could still be the trich/canker/yeast whatever it is the nystatin and roni /metro treat bc his mouth had less today.

But he is lethargic, def seems depleted. I gave him a poultry nutri drench that has D, A and the rest, and some formula, some water. Hes been sleeping a long time. He seems miserable and weak so Im letting him rest and will wake him later for meds and food. I had one tho awhile back that had some depletion and weakness, slept for days I thought for sure she would not make it but shes fine now. Hopefully Bear will bounce back too.

On another note, another squab, tiniest thing, prob 3 wks at best, showed up yesterday so emaciated its bones looked ready to puncture skin. So we are working on that one now too. Yesterday I went out front, saw a dead pigeon hanging from my tree in front of my bedroom window 😔. We cant tel what happened but it seemed to not be new. Then a few minutes later we saw that lost orphan squab alone in driveway so shifted from horror of dead one to urgency of yet another little one. Im sure the neighbors must still be killing them bc this never happened before to find so many orphans and bodies. Sorry God forgive me but I hate them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for advice @LM2020 and @Marina B. Sad to say, Bear didnt make it. He was suffering I believe and did his best to hang in there, the fight is over.
We have some amazing survivors thriving what a hall of fame. And for those that passed on, that Bear joined, it was just their time to go, we do all we can tho and always will. Eternal peace little Bear we loved you in the short time we had you buddy ❤
I believe we will see our heavenly flocks one day, at the supper of our great God. Rev 19:17 🕊 ❤ 🦅

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I dont know if related to what Bear was dealing witth--but now one older juvenile Lancer that was originally in enclosure with Bear, is making respiratory sounds, like a cough/snort or something. We dont see anything in his mouth.

I was planning to treat the 2 juvies that had beeen in close contact with Bear with the same treatment before I knew he was sick, nystatin and roni or metro bc despite Bear succumbing to it, inside beak was clearing up so I believe it was working.

Should I do this preventaively anyway?

Would a cough/respiratory sounds be consistent with what bear may have had, assuming it was fungal/yeast?

Other meds I have tri sulfa, ivermectin. doxycycline, amoxiciilin. In addtition to nystatin and roni and metro (the mteroplex for fish).

Any help here, I appreciate all who take the time to read and help. I may start a new thread.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
You can use amoxycillin together with metronidazole. Add the Nystatin and you basically cover everything. Remember Nystatin needs to be given on an empty crop twice a day, wait half an hour and then give other meds. Amoxy twice a day (12 to 15 mg per 100 gr birdweight) and metro once a day (10 mg per 100 gr birdweight). Also give probiotics during treatment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Is amox better than doxy for respiratory? The doxy Is easier bc its a powder and was for birds, vs the fish amox. The thing about the metro I was reading label its 70% metro and 30% something else so Im not sure if I got the right one. I can use the roni tho. Just debating on amox vs doxy tho

·
Registered
63 Posts
So sorry to hear about Bear. Sorry I can't give any suggestions with antibiotics for the other juveniles. If you're not already a good multivitamin will also help support their own immune system so they're better able to fight an infection and also cope with the meds. I don't know if you can get it there but I've found ones like avipro and 'guardian angel' great as they combine the pre + probiotics, vitamins and electrolytes specifically to support sick birds.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I've never used doxy. Is this administered via the drinking water? If easier, try this rather.
I decided to go with amox, started it today. He has a cough like sound and kind of tired. I hope the 3 meds cover whatever it is. If anyone has any more ideas on it or natural remedies to add, please share.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where is this guy located? They need to register something slightly more specific that USA. Trying to walk him through this cost that bird it's life. A good wildlife rehabber could have made all the difference. I live in NYC and Wild Bird Fund has certainly helped me. I'm very adept at treating birds with trich because of them. An expert tube feeder, mixing the meds into the food.
But even where my mom lived in rural Michigan had a good rehabber nearby. Get expert help ASAP. Trying to teach someone over this forum isn't effective enough as quickly as the bird required.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Where is this guy located? They need to register something slightly more specific that USA. Trying to walk him through this cost that bird it's life. A good wildlife rehabber could have made all the difference. I live in NYC and Wild Bird Fund has certainly helped me. I'm very adept at treating birds with trich because of them. An expert tube feeder, mixing the meds into the food.
But even where my mom lived in rural Michigan had a good rehabber nearby. Get expert help ASAP. Trying to teach someone over this forum isn't effective enough as quickly as the bird required.
There is one rehabber here. The last time I reached out for help, it was a pmv case, she told me I was selfish for trying to help the bird and she should be euthanized. That bird recovered 100% and has no sign of ever being sick. For a flock I had to rescue in a day's time and find a release site, she advised I CLIP THEIR WINGS and take them to a park. Yeah. Sound like a good rehabber to you? Thats the one here.
I appreciate your thoughts on this, but know that where I am, in LAs Vegas, these good rehabbers dont seem to exist. When I ask around, I get the same name--that one. There was another one, she closed down.
I am in the situ right now with these birds bc I had to do a quick rescue and wasnt prepared for it. I released about 70, successfully, as I drove a distance to ensure a suitable place that had what would meet their needs. I have some that were very tame bc theyd been in my feeding flock since fledging that I am looking after but Id sure like to find homes for.

I am not a rehabber but so far, thanks to the few on this board who have contributed to my questions, such as Marina B and Doves witness and others, as well as my willingness to care and be diligent and try to do what I can Im thankful Ive seen many more live than not. Here are a few, the most serious all life threatened cases that just advice here has helped me accomplish.

Spirit a PMV with constant seizures that also ripped her wings and tail feather total loss from friction of seizures and badly twisted neck: 100% recovered (the one the rehabber not only refused, but told me I was selfish for trying)

Steama, Grace, and Snow--all similar cases with neuro damage from unknown reasons, possibly pmv or poison or bacterial. Were very ill, lethargic, unable to eat or drink unassisted, complete star gazers, twirlers, non flyers. Now fully straight necks and heads, eat drink normal, Steama and Grace starting to hover, Snow past that and almost full flying restored

Josie survived something traumatic, appeared to be predator based on wounds that appeared to be talon punctured, also had broken leg, was near death, lost a great deal of feathers. She is 100% restored, leg healed perfectly in my first ever splint job

GI Joe a BBgunsshot survivor, found with bleeding wounds and unable to walk or fly. He is 100% now

I WISH I had a better option. BUt Im also thankful that there are people here that do respond when I dont have one yet. Its not ideal and some wont make it but I know that there are a good number alive today bc of what I have been able to do.

So IF you have any advice, please let me know as I also have another one right now, a young juvie that I mentioned above as well that is sick.
It is respiratory, with clear mucus in throat, nothing white/ cheesy looking that I have seen yet. He sounds hoarse (still a squeaker so its his squeak that is a bit raspy), is eating drinking but has lost some weight. Ive given him doxy in the water and the trichor with roniazadole, had given some nysatin for 2 days. Any advice is appreciated

21 - 37 of 37 Posts