Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. The diamond dove that I posted about yesterday now has alot of water in his stool. It's still a formed dropping, but there's more water than there should be, especially since diamond dove droppings are more than often semi dry. What should I do to help hold him out to tomorrow when I can get him to a vet?

:/ I don't want to lose this one too. Had this one the longest.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Has his diet been different in any way?
Is it hot where you live?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
well you would do what common sense tells you..:):) if he is really acting sick.. do the supportive care. keep him warm and isolated. hand feed if he can not eat. and hydration.. does he know where the water dish is? giving water to these guys is not easy and they can aspirate if you do not know what you are doing. if he is acting a bit off...then yes it is time to act..and if tommorow for vet care is all you have then it will have to do.

here is the other link .:):)
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/whats-up-with-my-baytril-61069.html

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
well you would do what common sense tells you.. if he is really acting sick.. do the supportive care. keep him warm and isolated. hand feed if he can not eat. and hydration.. does he know where the water dish is? giving water to these guys is not easy and they can aspirate if you do not know what you are doing. if he is acting a bit off...then yes it is time to act..and if tommorow for vet care is all you have then it will have to do.
I don't know Michelle...we don't all hear the same voice, which clearly is why she asked.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
the advice is still the same reguardless. people do learn. this is about her bird not my posts.

Actually...my post was about your post. Your post felt harsh to me. She was asking what she could do for her dove. She can't read your mind. My point is that what may be common sense to you, or anyone else for that mater, may not be to the one asking. That is why they asked.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You know, lots of things can cause the droppings to change. Drinking more water if it is hot, eating a lot of grit, nervousness. I understand your concern, but you don't have to panic every time they change a little. Watch it and see how it goes. They may be perfect tomorrow. How long have they been different?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know, lots of things can cause the droppings to change. Drinking more water if it is hot, eating a lot of grit, nervousness. I understand your concern, but you don't have to panic every time they change a little. Watch it and see how it goes. They may be perfect tomorrow. How long have they been different?

I know.. It's just hard not to be nervous after having one go down within a matter of the span of hours it takes to make a single night. They're so delicate that after my last one died, I can't rest easy without keeping a keen eye on these guys. Every question I ask does have much curiosity/concern behind it, as I do love my doves very much, and so much that I'm spending my last bit of income to take them to the vet tomorrow instead of buying myself food (If that doesn't prove how much I love my doves, then I don't know what will. :p ). I'm sure I'll survive a few days without a 3 course meal. These delicate little guys surviving 3 days without medicine if they are
sick, the risk is too high for me to not ask/be sure they'll be fine. I just feel more comfortable asking people here, as they know very much what to do.
It was a sick diamond dove that I lost that brought me here, so I'm taking advantage of being here to learn what I can, instead of asking when it's too late like my last case. Even if I might sound a little ameteur, we all start out with something, being clueless, and we learn, and then we know. Now. Sorry. I'm off subject. :) Back to matter at hand!

I gave him a syringe with about 1.0 (maybe a drop with as small as the syringe is), and mixed the water with bird vitamins prior. He's doing MUCH better. He's back to flying, and his last dropping was it's normal semi-dry state. Now he's helping his mate build a nest using sticks from one of my decorative set up vases! Oh well. I set some twigs and grass nest to them, but I suppose they use what they want to use. :) Good thing it doesn't have any dyes or chemicals.

To answer all the questions, yes, it gets VERY hot in my room. Infact, it's 84 degrees in my house right now. I can't afford air conditioning. Best I can do is open a window in another room (to keep them from direct drafts), and then open my door, hoping it cools the room. But they have free flight abilities, as I hate keeping birds caged. I let them fly around my room. I also have dogs though, and no child guard gate to keep them out of my room (and no curtain to keep the birds in), so that kind of makes things difficult due to the layout of my home.

He knows where the water bowl is, but he only perked up after I gave hime the syringe of water. He probably isn't drinking enough. I noticed it seems like he's doing a swallowing movement alot, and people have told me it's a sign of canker, and he has ruffled feathers. He's still cooing though. I checked his mouth and he didn't have any nodes though. But I DO know that it can still be elsewhere.

I'm sorry if my constant posting annoys anyone. I do know that I'm probably paranoid, but losing my one dove hurt me bad, so if some people can't tolerate my frequent precautionary questions until I'm confident enough to know the problems and take action without the assistance of pigeon and dove experts in a forum, then I suppose I'm probably better off relocating to a different forum. I'm not going to assume I annoy anyone though. I'm just using the forum for the subject it was intended to be used for. (No, please don't think I'm yelling at anyone. Just throwing it out there. I try not to bug anyone with my worries, but I live in a low population place, so sometimes, this is my only and last resort for information, and it has helped me greatly. :) )

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
We all had to start somewhere and each of us had plenty of questions in the beginning. Having our questions answered is one of the ways we learn. So much better of you to ask than just do when you are unsure. Besides, it's very different when the ill or injured bird is one of our own.
I'm glad your little dove is doing better. I'm wondering if he drank more water because of the heat. Still, I hope you take him to the vet tomorrow, just to be on the safe side. I know you love him very much.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We all had to start somewhere and each of us had plenty of questions in the beginning. Having our questions answered is one of the ways we learn. So much better of you to ask than just do when you are unsure. Besides, it's very different when the ill or injured bird is one of our own.
I'm glad your little dove is doing better. I'm wondering if he drank more water because of the heat. Still, I hope you take him to the vet tomorrow, just to be on the safe side. I know you love him very much.
Oh yes. That's definitely in my plans. He's gonna have to leave the nest building to his girlfriend for a couple hours, because I wanna see about getting him some probiotics and a fecal exam. He's still ruffling up a bit, but he's very alert. I hope I caught this earlier than the last one, because I love my birds to death. They're my kids. We all know how concerned parents can be when their children are ill. No matter if they have hair, scales, feathers, or human skin. ;)

I still remember my other little diamond dove, who would get angry and peck me if I didn't rub his head when he put it up to my arm. Miss that little fella.<3

Thank you for understanding.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Can i have your vet's contact info for Matilda's List?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He's trying to eat right now, but he seems to be having severe difficulty swallowing. I gave him a little more water in a syringe... About a drop mixed with bird vitamins. How often/much should I give him when it comes to the vitamin water in order to keep him hydrated?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now his breathing is a tiny bit rapid. :/ Hope the clinic opens soon....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, you can start by shutting up, calming down, and leaving the site. If you have to ask THIS frequently, your best off not even owning them. You're too paranoid. Paranoia will probably kill those birds faster than anything else.

Also, stop relying so much on a freakin' forum. If the bird dies, it dies. Get a necropsy done, and voila. You save your other birds.

You keeping such a 'keen' eye on it is probably stressing it out. if I put myself in the birds perspective, I'd rather be dead than be watched 24/7 anyway.

So seriously, just leave em be. You probably don't need to take them to the vet. Rapid breathing=startled, watery poo=startled, and drank more water than it should have.

Kuon, or howEVER you say that weird name will be fine. Your just being overly paranoid about something that doesn't even exist. I'm just tired of trying to go through archives, and seeing your username everywhere.

If you can't take care of them, sell them. SOMETHING. But just stop going crazy with every dang thing that happens!!!
Excuse me? If you're going to be that harsh about something that was barely even advice, I'd rather you PM it, that way we don't have to worry about throwing the subject off.

Talk about shallow. I love my birds like I would my children. Do you have kids? Ever had that one puppy that you just adored, or that most loved family member?Yeah. That's the way I am with my birds. Be quiet if you don't know how to be nice in my posts. I wouldn't trade any of my birds for anything.

I'm going to try to keep this from becomming a necropsy. That way, I can save ALL of my birds. Not just the remainder. It was very rude and heartless of you to say that. That's not what I consider very much appreciation for animals.

Stay out of my posts if you have a problem with my asking questions. There's also an ignore button. By all means, if you really are peeved, click it.

Good day, and good bye.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Well, you can start by shutting up, calming down, and leaving the site. If you have to ask THIS frequently, your best off not even owning them. You're too paranoid. Paranoia will probably kill those birds faster than anything else.

Also, stop relying so much on a freakin' forum. If the bird dies, it dies. Get a necropsy done, and voila. You save your other birds.

You keeping such a 'keen' eye on it is probably stressing it out. if I put myself in the birds perspective, I'd rather be dead than be watched 24/7 anyway.

So seriously, just leave em be. You probably don't need to take them to the vet. Rapid breathing=startled, watery poo=startled, and drank more water than it should have.

Kuon, or howEVER you say that weird name will be fine. Your just being overly paranoid about something that doesn't even exist. I'm just tired of trying to go through archives, and seeing your username everywhere.

If you can't take care of them, sell them. SOMETHING. But just stop going crazy with every dang thing that happens!!!
What an absolutely incredible first post.
I'm sure it will do wonders for your future responses to any problems you may have (about birds that is)
Strange question, but since you advise not to rely on a forum, why are you here trolling the archives ??
Oh, and as a "newbie" you really do have a heck of a neck to tell someone to leave.
I suggest first and foremost best place for you to look for information is the forum RULES
Read them, digest them, and adhere to them or say goodbye yourself.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't take that jerk personally. Someone has been coming in and doing that for a couple of days now. Not just to you. I'll send it to John D and he'll take care of it. Like I said, that isn't even a member here. So just ignore it. The administrator will take care of it.

As far as you asking questions, that's what this forum is for. We all had to learn, and are still learning. You aren't bothering anyone. We want you to ask. Better that you care, then someone who doesn't. Anytime you are concerned about anything, just ask.
If someones answer sounds short, maybe they are just having a bad day, or maybe that is just their personality. So please don't take it wrong. You are very welcome here. Let us know how it goes with the vet.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What an absolutely incredible first post.
I'm sure it will do wonders for your future responses to any problems you may have (about birds that is)
Strange question, but since you advise not to rely on a forum, why are you here trolling the archives ??
Oh, and as a "newbie" you really do have a heck of a neck to tell someone to leave.
I suggest first and foremost best place for you to look for information is the forum RULES
There is just someone coming in and being insulting. Someone did this yesterday to someone else. Sad that some don't have a life and have nothing better to do.
I'll send it to John D.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
There is just someone coming in and being insulting. Someone did this yesterday to someone else. Sad that some don't have a life and have nothing better to do.
I'll send it to John D.
Yeah, ive reported it also.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts