Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dove was fine yesterday i took him out and gave him a bath he played with me for a while and i put him back in his cage. about dinner time he went down to the bottom and stayed there. he poop is white and completely water, he has no blockage in his throat, there is no blood, he wont move, eat drink, or stand up. he is just laying on his side and keeps blinking.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm sorry. It's a male dove? What kind? How old is he? Do you have an avian vet?
Have you noticed that he either wasn't eating lately, or not pooping? He must have been not well for a bit to be doing this now.
Did you bathe him, or did he take a bath himself?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a male diamond dove, not over 7 mounths, we don't have a vet and he was fine yesterday, i just gave him a bath and he started to sit around, he was eating and pooping fine.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How do you give him a bath? You don't let him go into the container of water by himself? He probably wasn't fine, and you just didn't pick up on it. Are you keeping him warm now? Can you put him on a heating pad set on LOW, then a layer of towel, then the bird. Also keep a towel or something over the cage to keep in the warmth.
What is he doing now?
You do need to find a vet for emergency situations like this. Have you had him long?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this may sound weird but he is fine now. i set him in the sun to warm him and he slowly started to get better. in about 2 hours he starting eating and drinking and then flew around. all i did was wrap him up in a soft rag and then set him in the sun.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Thank you for the update. Wonder what was wrong. I would keep a close eye on him just in case, and it's important to have a vet lined up just in case you need one. I'm glad he is doing better now.
You never answered me on the bath. Does he go into the water and bath himself?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i put like 2 inches of water in the sink about half the hight of him and let him play around in it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Usually birds that are sick don't want to bath. Did he seem to be enjoying it when he last bathed?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
What food does he get, and does he get vitamins?

Also, an indoor bird needs calcium AND vitamin D3, best given as a supplement rather than trusting to grit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i give him all the vitimens he needs, i feed the him fortified finch diet that i buy from pet smart.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Usually birds that are sick don't want to bath. Did he seem to be enjoying it when he last bathed?
i mean i think he enjoyed it, i didn't really watch him. When i walked in he was. i don't think he is sleeping though because i never see it.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
But do you, as John has asked give calcium/vit.D3? An inside bird needs both because outside birds make vit. D3 from the rays of the sun, which an inside bird doesn't get. Without vit. D3, a bird can't use any calcium that he gets. A lot of people do overlook that need. Just trying to figure out what the problem with him was.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But do you, as John has asked give calcium/vit.D3? An inside bird needs both because outside birds make vit. D3 from the rays of the sun, which an inside bird doesn't get. Without vit. D3, a bird can't use any calcium that he gets. A lot of people do overlook that need. Just trying to figure out what the problem with him was.
i checked and yes his seed has it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I doubt vit d3 would be in his seeds and never give diamond doves baths. In the seven years I have had diamond doves they have never had baths even when given the opportunity.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What seeds do you feed him?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Actually, I have been looking up bathing, and apparently diamond doves don't normally bath. They like a mist, or bathe in the rain in the wild. So I guess you shouldn't be bathing your bird. If they must be bathed because they have somehow gotten soiled, the different articles say that they must be totally dried off like with a hair dryer, and not allowed to get chilled. So I guess you may have caused the problem with the bath. If the dove wants to go into a dish of water, he will go in, but otherwise, shouldn't be bathed, according to the different articles. So you shouldn't be putting him into a sink of water.

Should I bathe my doves?
Doves bathe naturally in the rain or enjoy a fine mist of water from a hose. Most doves, unlike pigeons, will not bathe in a water-filled container. Some ground-dove species enjoy dust baths.
http://www.americandoveassociation.com/html/dove-information.html

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Seeds don't normally contain calcium or vitamin D3. What brand is it?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What is listed for ingredients? I don't think it has calcium or D3 in it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts