Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a pigeon nest on my balcony my boyfriend and i were really excited about the 2 eggs we saw it was a really beautiful nest and two beautiful pigeons. today i looked outside and the nest is abandoned and there is one broken egg left. im worried a neighbour has a small space under the divider of our balcony that she couldve gotten at the nest or maybe a crow? anyway i dont know what happened i dont know if the babies were born and are hiding, i dont hear anything but should i sweep up the nest so that we dont get more pigeons that lay eggs and get destroyed or should i wait to see that the babies arent hiding behind or in the couch that is near the nest. im so upset about this but at the same time i dont want new pigeons to come and reuse our space if not neccessary (we didnt notice the nest until after the eggs were there) some advice on what to do or look for... if its safe to remove the nest or not. thank you.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i had a pigeon nest on my balcony my boyfriend and i were really excited about the 2 eggs we saw it was a really beautiful nest and two beautiful pigeons. today i looked outside and the nest is abandoned and there is one broken egg left. im worried a neighbour has a small space under the divider of our balcony that she couldve gotten at the nest or maybe a crow? anyway i dont know what happened i dont know if the babies were born and are hiding, i dont hear anything but should i sweep up the nest so that we dont get more pigeons that lay eggs and get destroyed or should i wait to see that the babies arent hiding behind or in the couch that is near the nest. im so upset about this but at the same time i dont want new pigeons to come and reuse our space if not neccessary (we didnt notice the nest until after the eggs were there) some advice on what to do or look for... if its safe to remove the nest or not. thank you.
My guess would be that it was crows as they are pretty horrible when it comes to nests with eggs young in the nest and raidings :( I think it would be safe to say you can clean up the nestsite now as Im sure they arent in hiding if you cant find anything with eyesight of the nest . Eggs hatch at 18 days and babys leave around 6 weeks later or more but are not much on moving about til around 4 week of age ..sorry but nature isnt the kindest to new life .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
just another quick question

thank you so much for your quick reply, i really appreciate it. i was stressing out hoping there wasnt lost baby pigeons somewhere but i do wish this couldve been a safer place for our pigeon couples nest. what should i do in future cases of pigeon encounters, allow them to nest or shoo them away? i feel responsible for what happened even though i know im not. is there a general shortage of safe nesting spots for pigeons or am i just enabling something that shouldnt naturally be happening in downtown locations. im so clueless about city wildlife its ridiculous, thank you for your help!

·
Registered
803 Posts
thank you so much for your quick reply, i really appreciate it. i was stressing out hoping there wasnt lost baby pigeons somewhere but i do wish this couldve been a safer place for our pigeon couples nest. what should i do in future cases of pigeon encounters, allow them to nest or shoo them away? i feel responsible for what happened even though i know im not. is there a general shortage of safe nesting spots for pigeons or am i just enabling something that shouldnt naturally be happening in downtown locations. im so clueless about city wildlife its ridiculous, thank you for your help!
Pigeons just like places that offer them some sort of coverage, but they arent all that picky either,they like ledges thats for sure so anything with some sort of shelter will keep them coming back .I can say they felt safe where they nested but its not your fault that something like a crow came and stole the hope of offsprng away, they are crafty birds and look for an easy opportunity to take advantage of anything in their travels as a meal .If you do choose to let them nest again maybe you could offer a small wooden box with a smallish opening that they could enter and guard more so which could keep threats at bay while they are out foraging for food then you could enjoy the spectrum of them bringing on new life for the world and you to enjoy :) Pigeons are very enjoyable to watch and interact with to say the least .;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts